Released: Build 28.3

RobertJohnson

ATM all the guns are useless against a horde compared to a fireaxe with proper timing and kiting. You can kill a hundred zombies in complete silence with a single axe, up to 5 at a time if you corner and groundpound the piles that build up. If you were going to nerf something unrealistic, you should really nerf the superhero melee weapons before you nerf guns more. The massive sound draw and limited ammo already makes them inferior.

Very convenient when you want to clear a large area without it taking a real-life hour, assuming ammunition permits.

And btw, nope, an assault rifle will never save you from a horde neither, let's say it have 40 ammo, depending on how fast you shoot, 80% of those bullets will go in chest/legs/etc. not head, that mean you may kill like 10 zombies, the other will be knocked back, that's all

... Lol! People only shoot assault rifles full auto in movies or if they are idiots XD it is semi if you want to hit something. I doubt you need suppressing fire against zombies. Only First shot gets right when hitting full auto. Everyone whos been in military service know that.

Damn mobile phone editing...

How about makeshift weapons that can be crafted, like ...

Lighter/Matches + Aerosol Can (e.g. hairspray) = Flamethrower (sort of).  It may not kill zombies immediately, but will slow them down by catching them on fire.

Or how about the ability to use a Spade to dig a moat for zombies to fall into? Then I fill the moat with gas and light them all on fire! =)

Perhaps I could use the spade to dig my previous (now dead) player a grave and make him a wooden cross to mark it. I could build an entire graveyard for my former self's. lulz

Which brings up a question I've had since I started playing ... why don't I ever turn into a zombie?  

I get bit/scratched/infected and eventually die. Why not have my now infected self become a zombie?  The next time I login I can then hunt my former self down and kill it (so long as he/she is recognizable in some way). Maybe that type of zombie is stronger than other zombies to make it more of a challenge and therefore make me want to live longer so I don't have a bunch of super-zombies after me later. His/her "memory" could have that former-self zombie stalking me on the map or my last known (to it) locations.

Just some thoughts.

Zombie migration, not respawn*

And how can I have feedback if I set everything as optionnal ? I almost never have any feedback on stuff, test it before going "i don't like it"

STOP SAYING SPAWN RJ! :P People don't like that word hehe

FAO anyone taking issue with 'spawn', every time you run away from an area it unloads that entire area from memory. It becomes impossible to do collision tests on an area of the map that's sat within the mechanical storage of your hard drive. It becomes an inky black vacuum of space with nothing in it, no time or space.

Things spawn every time you move away from them or move back toward them and the only way we can do any kind of simulation of things changing at a distant part of the map is to simulate those changes at the moment you reapproach an area to account for the time that you were away. This is just hitting a fundamental limit on computers until quantum home computers become a thing and it doesn't matter if you're John Carmack or not or what you'd like in a perfect world. PC memory and CPU is finite, 

If you want zombies to 'migrate' from the side of the game world, then we can't persist them from the edge of the map toward the player otherwise your PC would literally need about 600 gig of memory and 8 core 500ghz CPUs. Spawning is completely unavoidable in video games with large worlds. Even the buildings 'spawn'. The only way we can do zombie migration is by simulating it in a vague way an area of the map where it's literally impossible to ascertain if there are walls there or trees or fences. This is what Roman's doing, by using the time since you've been there + the zone the area is in + its chance of being blocked by player construction.

And history has proven that we NEED to repopulate the world of zombies otherwise the late game gets extremely boring. And if you've not gotten to the extremely boring stage of the game, then zombies respawning wouldn't likely affect you anyway.

In short, there are enough checks to ensure that the spawning only happens in locations where the zombies could have gotten to and no constructions are blocking the way, and that enough time as elapsed since you were last in the location that zombies had time to get there and in story terms it would be likely that zombies will have wandered into the area. In time this system will surely become more in depth but its very easy to be an armchair critic of systems like this without really being aware of the full extent of the issues, limitations and requirements that brought it about.

The whole idea is that if it weren't for Romain misspeaking with the boogey man term 'spawn' then you'd never be aware its happening. Games cheat. They need to to get the job done, and this is true of every game.

I'd like to see someone taking care of a horde (at least 50 zombies) with an axe so easily, axe make noise too (less than gun, yeah), drain stamina, can break...

Yeah sooo....... Am I the only one who did it? :D

I did it and streamed it, but didn't want to post it cuz it made me look like an ass :3

I'd like to see someone taking care of a horde (at least 50 zombies) with an axe so easily, axe make noise too (less than gun, yeah), drain stamina, can break...

Yeah sooo....... Am I the only one who did it? :D

I did it and streamed it, but didn't want to post it cuz it made me look like an ass :3

Then send me a PM with the stream :D Nobody is an asshole :3

Why do we need military guns for. I mean yeah in the near future damn right but not right now.

Pistol for long range: Shotgun for short.

Id rather have zombies migrating then new toys to play with. Seriously if you played the game before steam. it was scary as hell making a safe house. All it took was one zombie to know you was there then the whole horde will be there.

I miss the old days so much, not being to jump fences ;). Having so much fun dodging the hordes unbelievable play experience.

I think i was one of the first 100 people to buy zomboid. it only cost me £5.

I remember when lemmys flat got broken into and 2 of his laptops were stolen. Scary days. 

Also trying to keep up with enigma. first person to survive a year on the old build. I still hate him for it :D

sounds like a really funny game... =)

Why do we need military guns for. I mean yeah in the near future damn right but not right now.

Pistol for long range: Shotgun for short.

Id rather have zombies migrating then new toys to play with. Seriously if you played the game before steam. it was scary as hell making a safe house. All it took was one zombie to know you was there then the whole horde will be there.

I miss the old days so much, not being to jump fences ;). Having so much fun dodging the hordes unbelievable play experience.

I think i was one of the first 100 people to buy zomboid. it only cost me £5.

I remember when lemmys flat got broken into and 2 of his laptops were stolen. Scary days.

Also trying to keep up with enigma. first person to survive a year on the old build. I still hate him for it :D

sounds like a really funny game... =)

I remember this too! Really loved the zombie AI back then.. I would really love to make some safehouse last stands again. Now, it's almost impossible to make a real safehouse last stand, if you ask me.. :/ The zombies were more clever back then

thats a concern i have too, especially on my server. will this be compatible with B27 saves, or will new saves and hard resets be needed to add the new stuff?

( was just about to try adding Bedford to my server and wondered if it would be better done post B28 release, great question Viceroy)

Zombie migration, not respawn*

And how can I have feedback if I set everything as optionnal ? I almost never have any feedback on stuff, test it before going "i don't like it"

Respawn

So, the zombies thing is going to use the meta-thingy map you guys showed us in that old NPC video?

I mean when i say this is that i picture one block of the map, lets say the woods outside the city, and then a bunch of red dots appear in that map and they keep moving into the city?

When are the zombies going to stop moving in this state of meta-thing? I mean once they reach the city where the player is at, are they going to stop or keep moving to some other place?

Also what affects how big is the zombie number going to be when it appears?

Like something i read a long time ago in the blog was that the zombies would start moving over the citys with more sound or something like that to hunt their prey.

Is something like that going to affect the number of zombies?

So, the zombies thing is going to use the meta-thingy map you guys showed us in that old NPC video?

I mean when i say this is that i picture one block of the map, lets say the woods outside the city, and then a bunch of red dots appear in that map and they keep moving into the city?

No. That video is from 2011, a time when there were loading screens between individual cells.

Hell-o! :-)

In advance: I really don't want to annoy you /  get on so.'s nerves, I am simply curious at the new "migration system" and what it is doing.

Maybe I mis- or overread the fitting words, would feel sorry then.

This made me wonder what is happening exactly:

[...]
Spawning is completely unavoidable in video games with large worlds. Even the buildings 'spawn'. The only way we can do zombie migration is by simulating it in a vague way an area of the map where it's literally impossible to ascertain if there are walls there or trees or fences. This is what Roman's doing, by using the time since you've been there + the zone the area is in + its chance of being blocked by player construction.
[...]

I sum up (hopefully short enough) what i do know and understand:

So Lemmy explained in a detailed post, why its not possible to have the migration from map-borders to somewhere in a practical way.
Only cells in the near vicinity of the player are processed for technical (and for me fully understandable) reasons.

So its not possible to process a horde at any point on the map except its near a player, at least not in a, how can i phrase that, "real" way, because the cells are not in memory, not processed in any way at that moment.

I read from your posts in this thread, that if i come back to (or leave?) an area, where there are few Zeds left, there will spa... eh ...migrate new Zombies.

What i want to know now:

is it just like

a) the cell gets loaded and checked for maybe [time since last visit] and [amount of Zombies inside] and if its empty and (for example) 2 days unvisited now there are standing 3 to 5 or whatever amount of new Zombies around in this cell now

or

b) there is some sort of abstract(!) simulation in the background. Like having virtual (haha, what a word in this context..) numbers of zombies with abstract positions (for the time without Players around just vague coordinates) and a simulated speed like 1,5 cells/per day heading for areas known as Zed-empty by the game. Beeing abstract to the point where a players position (or better: the area, thats currently processed) coincides with one of these.

or

c) are both options not nearly whats happening now?

I hope, you can make a short statement about my speculations (simply a), b) or c) would be adequate, more much appreciated of course).

As I said I'm just nosey and happy about the stuff you are doing and I don't want to steal your precious time.

Tis game is soooo lovely! <3<3<3

So what kind of noise level can we expect with the hunting rifle? It'd be kind of self-defeating if a long-range weapon just drew all zombies to you anyway.

As for loot respawn, does it only add a few items at a time? And if existing loot is kept I'm guessing this will only fill containers up to a certain point? Although it would be awesome to suddenly have entire houses of 50/50 containers... :D

I gather you mean consuming RJ, consummating is something else...

Consummate, verb. to make (a marriage or relationship) complete by having sexual intercourse.

Which is very funny :D

It works. Either way, your CPU is fucked. ;)