Released: Build 28.3

RobertJohnson

Zombies respawn aren't optionnal, if they are, most of people won't enable it, and I need feedback on them, unfortunatly, that's the only way I can have feedback..

Only loot respawn is disabled by default because it'll break lot of servers if it's enabled, so I still do hope I'll have feedback on it.

Oh yeah, and do I said it's a WIP system ? Yup I do, the system isn't optimum and I know it, but it'll do the trick for now.

As loot respawn, I'm totally against it, it's totally not realist, so don't need to do some kind of "RP" things for it, it'll prob be removed once NPC spawning will be incorpored (oh god, not spawning, PLEASE don't bug me on that)

• [MP] Added experimental loot respawn, you have to setup the serverOption "HoursForLootRespawn", if you set it as 48, it mean the zone will have to be unseen for 48 in game hour before loot respawning, same as zombies respawn, I'd LOVE to have feedback on it :)

I dont like respawn. Typically when I enter the zombe apokalypse I roam the city systematicly*.  So, if there are randomly spawning things this would:

a) break the rules of logic and science**

b) break my personal rules, which unsettles me the most

Personally I would prefer if items spawn in containers who aren't visited for XX hours and were touched by a zombie. So when the player roams the city and finds a zombie scamper in a house he might check if he might have dropped something there(yes I know a zombie probably wouldn't put a book in a bookshelf*** when he drops it). I'd love to follow a zombie horde like its the Flooding of the Nile.

*Every house gets marked as NEW(closed entrance door), USELESS(wooden stick in entrance door) and PLUNDERED(entrance door door stolen)

**"An empty container is empty, bro."

-Charles Darwin

***It's common zombie knowledge that books stay longer fresh in a fridge

Isn't this for multiplayer in order to avoid the current problem of making it hard for new players on the server to survive due to everything already being looted by others? Since it's on a multiplayer server and NPCs are on their way, it shouldn't be a stretch to imagine that other survivors have stored some things there. Your markings would be off anyway since a house you have marked as "useless" could very well turn in a "plundered" one by others while you're not there.

Yup, loot respawn is only for MP, Zombies respawn was first in SP only, to see if it doesn't break all the game, now it's also in MP, i'll see if we keep it for SP too.

But yeah, loot respawn should almost simulate a "NPC was here, dropped some stuff", tho if a NPC really do that, he'll do it like a safehouse, so lot of surviving stuff, classed by category maybe, etc.. For now the loot respawn is just "roll the dice again"

Your markings would be off anyway since a house you have marked as "useless" could very well turn in a "plundered" one by others while you're not there.

So, when I next come to that house to heck what I had let in there I take the door away and its plundered. But plundered never turns back into new. Its a one-way-system. Thats been the point I tried to explain :-)

But yeah, loot respawn should almost simulate a "NPC was here, dropped some stuff", tho if a NPC really do that, he'll do it like a safehouse, so lot of surviving stuff, classed by category maybe, etc.. For now the loot respawn is just "roll the dice again"

Hm.. sure I judge MP on my ideals of SP, but I like the idea of having an indicator that something had changed in that room/house. Thats been the point I tried to explain.

They'll be answered when and if they are answered. Forcing them on someone won't speed things up.

As to the spawning discussion: either way, zombies have to come back. If the new system effectively simulates migration of zombies, it's the same thing as zombies migrating. Even if it's better than the current system, it'll be a plus.

Yeah it is all just simulating it anyway so it does not matter what term is used, it is all 'repopulation' and the game sorely needs it, it is the main issue cited time and time again why my friends don't buy into the game.

Ah no plz ... No zombie Respawn you just going to fuck the game now ... -,- I don't want to see zombie spawn on the road .... All time ... The best its the zombie spawn at the corner of the map and walk to the city .... stay realist plz .... and same for the lots spawn (but its good we can disable ....) 

Ah no plz ... No zombie Respawn you just going to fuck the game now ... -,- I don't want to see zombie spawn on the road .... All time ... The best its the zombie spawn at the corner of the map and walk to the city .... stay realist plz .... and same for the lots spawn (but its good we can disable ....)

It can take several days to run from the edge of the map -- making them somehow walk in realitime (which, I doubt is permitted for performance reasons), probably isn't possible. It also fails to resolve our current problem (no zombies), what with trees, and other obstacles the zombies would face.

As to the spawning discussion: either way, zombies have to come back. If the new system effectively simulates migration of zombies, it's the same thing as zombies migrating. Even if it's better than the current system, it'll be a plus.

It can take several days to walk from the edge of the map -- making them somehow walk in realitime (which, I doubt is permitted for performance reasons), probably isn't possible.It also fails to resolve our current problem (no zombies).

Spawning them in large meta groups and having them "walk" free of collisions would be preferable (if we ignore the other cities to be on the map), but I imagine there's a good reason why this is being considered for now. Benefit of the doubt, and all that.

Changed the zombie "spawning" sentence as it's a bad, bad word in English and you all missundertand what I meant, zombies WON'T SPAWN IN FRONT OF YOU, stop thinking that, we explained it a tons of time in this thread and that "please no zombies respawn it'll ruin everything" keep coming.

So now the new phrase is :

Added experimental population management: after an area is abandoned by the player, new zombies will migraite slowly from this point. I'll need feedback on it. :)

Still not the best system, but better than nothing (please think about the people playing on public server where there's always 10-20 people on it, there's no more zombie...)

Hope it'll be clear for everyone :)

after an area is abandoned by the player, new zombies will migraite slowly from this point. I'll need feedback on it.

Are the area mechanics explainend somewhere, i.e. what's the distance game sees "far enough from player"? I have seen this aspect used in few mods (like Erosion) and here.

Changed the zombie "spawning" sentence as it's a bad, bad word in English and you all missundertand what I meant, zombies WON'T SPAWN IN FRONT OF YOU, stop thinking that, we explained it a tons of time in this thread and that "please no zombies respawn it'll ruin everything" keep coming.

So now the new phrase is :

Added experimental population management: after an area is abandoned by the player, new zombies will migraite slowly from this point. I'll need feedback on it. :)

Still not the best system, but better than nothing (please think about the people playing on public server where there's always 10-20 people on it, there's no more zombie...)

Hope it'll be clear for everyone :)

Now its more good ^^

So... What happen if there is like 4 corpses in my refuge and I burn them inside lol?

Only the corpse is removed ? Or i Will make my refuge in dust

Burns down everything I bet.

We can carry corpses outside so why would you burn them in your house? (Unless your trying to get rid of the house lol.)

I am strongly opposed to zombies re-spawning in SP. In Mp its fine, but the thing that made this game so cool was going to an area killing a lot of zombies and then knowing the next time you came back if there were any more zombies they would have literally moved from another part of the map due to a large noise or meta game event. Now that is not the case as you have no way of knowing if they just spawned in or not. Another big appeal of this game for me at least was the prospect of wiping all the zombies out, I know this is next to impossible in SP but it was cool when you could cause a highly populate area of zombies to become empty and then have the terrifying moment when the meta game would move a large population of already spawned in zombies into you area.

Another thing I was looking forward to was when NPC's are in the game, clearing an area of zombies and then seeing how the NPC's reacted to area's that now have a low zombie population and also the shift in dynamics the game would take at that point as it would become more about survival from man at the late stage of the game, which is what I think in really life it would eventually become. Zombies would still be a threat as the meta game would eventually move zombies from a populated area to you or alternatively you would unknowingly drag zombies to your area. All this is now not possible as of the new build due to zombies being able to re-spawn.

I have been following/playing this game from pretty much the beginning and have always supported/loved every single idea you have all had, however not only is this the first of your idea's that I strongly dislike but is probably the idea that could literally in my opinion ruin one of the greatest things about this game (no enemies magically appearing in the world like every other game).

This is of course all my own opinion and ultimately its your game and vision to do what ever it is you see fit. I however believe zombies in SP being able to re-spawn is not only a terrible idea but also goes against one of the things that makes this game so unique.

I think you misunderstand the point of this, even when you leave an area an return to it the zombies there are 'spawned' again. It is literally not even going to be distinguishable from them flocking into an area.

And also how on earth is it fun when you know you have nothing to worry about? I think the very ability of a single person to clear an area is laughable because then it would just take a few hours for the army to rock up and save everyone anyway since Average Joe with the hammer could do it..