Released: Build 28.3

RobertJohnson

Hmn, I seem to remember reading a bit on Tv Tropes to that effect (I think it was in the Walking Dead). A zombie brushes a door handle. The zombie next to it interprets that as the other zombie trying to break in, so that zombie starts moving towards the door. This carries on until there's a group of zombies trying to break in (including the original zombie who accidental y touched the door). So when one zombie makes an innocent action which creates noise, this can create a chain reaction which winds up with a horde trying to destroy a house.

Uh, my point being that that could be a good way of starting off hordes, but that it might not be a very stable way. If a zombie were to create a noise in the opposite direction from where the horde was heading would the horde turn around and follow that (resulting in them going in circles; jumping at every noise), or perhaps after the horde became a certain size only small numbers of zombies would detach themselves from where the main body was heading? Ah. but anyway, perhaps something more for the suggestions board? =P

-snip for the sake of brevity-

I agree that it won't be 'stable', however the way zombies react to multiple sources of sound seems to be done quite well, often focusing on the closest of the sources. It is not necessarily a way to make a horde migrate as much as it is to add... Let's call it 'swarming' behaviour. Where one zombie starts making an innocent racket, attracting Tom from the office down the hall. And soon you have a group of them at the door.

This would serve the purposes of:

A) Making routine clearing of zeds around a perimeter necessary.

B) Enhance Zed danger by making them naturally block things like doorways should you neglect to clear them out or provide adequate distraction.

C) Model a behaviour that would make it believable for the player that zombies *could* indeed form hordes given the right circumstances and input.

D) Add to the ambience of the zombie menace by giving them a slightly more wide range of behaviours.

It won't have massive implications on the presentation of the world in my opinion, it will however be a nice addition I feel. I don't think that a horde would split into sub groups though, that seems like intelligent behaviour. The migratory zombies entering a cell is handled by The Governor AI and the behaviour on that level is controlled as such. So think of this merely as filling out behaviour of zombies in a local area rather than implicitly affecting how they move throughout the entirety of the map. Since what we want is added risk to having zombies around you and behaviour that believably would endanger your stronghold you so dilligently prepared. (As well as making you freak out when you are stuck in a bathroom cubicle) :)

Again these are all my views personally and won't necessarily translate into anything actually being changed to the game.

MORE REPOPULATION DISCUSSION AND FEEDBACK FOR RJ, I'll append it here instead of creating another post right below:

The zombie repopulation, is it handled per cell or per meta-zone (seems like meta-zone)? Because I have just had an occasion where there were maybe fifty or more zombies visible inside buildings next to a road (main street WP.) but the road itself was completely empty. I then turned around and looted some things and when I looked back (maybe ten to twenty seconds later), the road was practically full of zeds, but the ones in the buildings were still at the same places. It was a noticable appearance of them that I felt damaged immersion and added to danger unfairly since some of them appeared less than ten tiles away from me I'd say. I would propose the following to possibly alter the behaviour of the mechanic and then also add some greater immersion to the game at the same time whilst eliminating people nagging about.

Proposal: When zed appears inside a zone or cell, that they 'enter' at a position at one of the extremes of the player vision or loaded area (that is connected to the meta-zone they are repopulating for example.) and they then receive a command to walk to the positions inside the zone where they would have otherwise appeared. This would further add to the sense that the zombies are migrating into the area, and it would eliminate the risk of them appearing behind you at a short distance.

This is to illustrate my point:

lcty5QG.jpg

Kindest Regards!

And...

TO ANYONE ABOUT TO CRY AND NAG AND MOAN ABOUT HOW ZOMBIES ARE REPOPULATED, PLEASE READ THE THREAD FROM THE START. WE HAVE SEEN IT ALL BEFORE.

Edited by Viceroy

Already updated my server with it. 

BTW : We need "craftable Big Doors" in prevision of car release, i think?

This is a thread for feedback and whats in the build or questions about this build but cars are not in the game yet and wont be for a while

Hmn, is it a bug with the latest version for certain walls to not exist? Some homes don't have walls (ie not invisible, rather just not there at all), whilst others, like the caravans, do. This is without any mods installed and restarted the game and making a new character.

* Ah, and sorry if I'm asking this and its been answered before. :/

Edit:

Tsk, and after verifying the files on Steam the issue's resolved itself. Odd that it came up after updating however. 

[MP] Added experimental loot respawn, you have to setup the serverOption "HoursForLootRespawn", if you set it as 48, it mean the zone will have to be unseen for 48 in game hour before loot respawning, same as zombies respawn, I'd LOVE to have feedback on it.

Hello Guys,

i seem to have Problems on my local hostet Server, or atleast getting something wrong.

Firstoff we Play with 3 Persons 2 Join over Internet and Myself.

We all got the iwillbackupmysavebranch

I set the "HoursForLootRespawn" to 1 so i could test the Feature. Max Items in Container is set to 12.

It seems like there is no loot respawn for me :/

"zone will have to be unseen" --> How big is a Zone? and what conditions apply on unseen? Maybe im doing something wrong there. Or are there any other issues know on loot respawn?

Thanks for your help.