• Issue #000735 Fixed
  • Issue #000690 Fixed
  • Issue #000736 Fixed
  • Issue #000668 Fixed
  • Some network packet improvement.
  • Fixed name glitch
  • Fixed client authentication glitch.
  • Fixed some multiplayer chat abuse.
  • Fixed climb over player made fence/windows.
  • Framerate fix for blood splatter.
  • Stopped zombies thumping crafted wooden fences.
  • Fixed 3D Aim_Rifle reverse animations not playing.
  • Cowardly/Brave traits had no effect on the increase in panic when seeing new zombies, unless the player had already taken Beta Blockers.
  • Panic increase due to Agoraphobic/Claustrophobic traits wasn't affected by framerate or game speed.
  • Panic reduction wasn't affected by framerate or game speed.
  • Pain reduction wasn't affected by framerate or game speed.
  • The effects of Antidepressents, Beta Blockers, Painkillers, and Sleeping Tablets wasn't affected by framerate or game speed.
  • Various other fix (wrong name, missing icons..)
  • Fixed hunger increasing too quickly in "real time" when sleeping.

[NEW STUFF]

• Smooth the camera transition when climbing through windows or over fences.

I have a question, it is pertaining to a twitter post that RJ made. Stating x number of new sounds added, will/have those pass/ed into a testing version hotfix or will they be introduced in the next build proper, i.e. Build 29?

Merely curious from a bug reporting standpoint. :)

Is there gun suppressors in the build as attachments?

No. A suppressor doesn't appear to be planned, at this time.

Suppressors may be the only way to make "running zombies" survivable, i think :)

Suppressors are stupid for a whole bunch of different reasons, up to and including that they just don't work the way people seem to think they work.

love the new alcohol related moodles, especially the shit faced one.

works equally well with the cultivate marijuana mod, after a few bongs it gets interesting. now we just need the players movement to coordinate with the level of impairment

thanks, RJ

Okay this is for RJ:

Regarding the zombie migration system I have the following things to say, now please don't take this as 100% factual as it is always hard to test something like zombies when you yourself are trying to avoid them and you know, not die lol. Take this as one user's account and experience regarding the system.

Okay firstly, this is the situation I have been playing in:

Locally hosted server.

HoursForZombiesRespawn=12
IncreaseZombieRespawnBy=30

At most 2 users playing similtaneously.

Now onto the account:

I started off in WP, within day one I managed to locate a hammer and a saw, I then proceeded out of the suburbs and towards the highschool. So far so good, zombies here and there as usual, but no real danger I'd say, at most little groups of 5 or so, maybe at most 3 or 4 inside houses (distributed throughout, not necessarily in one room.) Not much conflict at first so no real noticable change in zombie population. No meta-events during my 'nomad' period whatsoever,

Day three I finally find the school, it has about seven to ten stenches inside, I finish them off without incident with the hammer and proceed to clean up the outside. Perhaps all-in-all twenty or so outside that I dispatch. All is rosy and I even find an axe, I double-check it all and am 100% certain the school is clear and the surroundings are clear.

Day 4-6 I chop wood outside and carry it inside, I start fortifying the structure, encountering the odd zombie here and there on the outside whilst working, one or two stumbling towards me, no real danger since I saw them coming, but nevertheless I could have been taken by surprise, so yay on that front.

Day 7-8 The structure is fortified in the hallway, the canteen is barricaded, all doors into the hallways, no way in for zombies, and I am glad to state that no zombies appeared within the building at all. I start building a courtyard to burn bodies in and make a fire in. Now I ran out of wood so I start venturing south a bit to chop wood. I chop wood, again with one or two zeds trying in vain to ambush me. I start carrying the wood back when I notice some zombies coming from the north, about seven of them. They don' seem to see me. But I go to check the door on that side.

Upon approaching the door I hear groans, I open the door as stealthily as PZ allows (Thwack in other words) and alert the stinkers around the door. Now I know this area was clear but now it has a fair few zeds in, about 9, not counting the seven before that are around the corner. I start getting giddy. I fall back and plank the door. Going back south.

As I exit the building to the south, into my half-constructed courtyard I see zombies walking northwards from the suburbs over to where I chopped the trees, again they did not notice me, but they are about 10 or 12 in total, standing on my log pile. I naturally draw them out one by one and eliminate them, finishing my construction that night.

Day 9 I decide to head into the burbs to raid garages for some nails and check houses for non-perishables. I spend the day killing zombies in groups sized between 3-5. And the odd indoor zombie. I end the day in a house overlooking the first proper group of zombies, round about 30 of them. In the night two of them wander into the broken windows and I kill them, more are attracted and I bail as they start pouring in, at least half the horde alerted to my presence.

Morning of day 10, I am heading back the way I came, following my path of destruction and death, however every few meters there are now zombies again, one here, two there, but as I run I pull them towards me. I slip through a building only to be surprised by five zeds outside (again where it was clear). I fight for my life but get scratched as one of them lunges at me as crawler after being struck down. I hightail it back to the school, finding again small groups of zombies around the structure. But none see me and I enter without fault. I check the building, building is still clean, check my courtyard, courtyard is pristine. Check outside to the north, the group there is still there but a bit larger. Content, I relax for the day. Lucky not to be infected.

Day 11. I feel brave now knowing where the zombies are in the suburbs, I head back out again. Cleverly avoiding the groups I left in my wake on the previous day. No problemo as I head to the kindergarten/elementary school/daycare place. As I walk I see some zombies walking over the road away from me, little groups quite dispersed. I enter the building and I start looting about. Killing the zeds inside. As I finish looting up the offices for notebooks, keen on trying them out, I hear gunshots to the west of me. I look out the window and I can see numerous zombies in the street to the south wandering that-a-way. The horde seems to be quite populous, numbering well over the 50. I hear windows crack and break and as I run into the 'playroom', zed pours in, seeing me and attacking me. I run south and out the door, into the walking group. I whack a few of them in my way but I get bitten as the zeds from behind grab me. I try to run away but the horde focuses on me as I 'run' and fight. Soon I am overwhelmed with hunting knfe in hand. Dying at 10 days 20 hours.

My commentary based on this playthrough:

I am happy with the sparse zombies 'sneaking up' on me while working, and the general feel of having a sense of paranoia back in the game. This pleased me greatly.

I enjoyed the small groups of 5-10 that I could see wandering into the cell I am in, I enjoyed finding groups like this on my way back from the looting run, even though they were a tad sparse perhaps.

The larger groups I found in more densely populated areas I greatly enjoyed, the movement of such groups especially and found it a little disappointing to have only encountered them in places already quite populated and never 'sieging' my well fortified safehouse.

The system only once presented me with a single zombie I could see appearing (as I looked away and the field of view was fading, on the furthest zoom level. Which I found acceptable given the fact that it is such a major improvement already over what was and the number of zombies I saw 'naturally' appearing, by wandering into my vacinity or simply walking past places.

Given the playthrough and the nature of the settings I used, I do however feel that the system, though certainly very entertaining, could use greater zombie population, and perhaps spawn them in groups of larger numbers at certain times. I never encountered monstrous hordes of 100 zeds or more that forced me to relocate, and at most my days spent barricading were somewhat at a waste as the most zeds that ever 'attacked' my walls were five or so. That never managed to break in.

What I would like to see more of is zombies attempting to enter a building at random, groups of zombies wandering 'through' a zone, as those I saw crossing the road did. And especially zombies alerting one another when they are making a racket. I witnessed on a few occasions ten or more zombies standing in close proximity to a zombie banging on a door, yet they never 'aided' their fellow. So even with zombies on your porch it tends to devalue the horde to the danger level of a single zombie instead of a bunch trying to get in. Even if the zombie banging the door was on the inside, somehow those on the outside ignored it, but how could they possibly know what was making that sound? Should they not at least attempt to investigate in a zombie-like fashion?

All in all, the system performed admirably, never saw a zombie in a place it could not get to! Bravo to the devs indeed.

I just think that the zombies themselves should be more numerous, they should have small 'stragglers' of one or two as presently that can sneak up on you. But they should also have large groups that wander into an area and better behaviour for attempting to breach buildings or to wander 'through' them. I feel that also sometimes zombies I can see should follow other zombies that are 'wandering', creating a more natural 'feel' of how they might start to form a horde perhaps.

The threat to safehouses in general needs a bump I feel, Zombies in many lores have a rudimentary 'memory' of places they frequented as living people. So it would make sense for them to go into open doors or behaviour like that for instance. I left my safehouse open quite a few times but never found any zombies that found their way inside sadly.

On a separate note I tried a second playthrough with the exact same settings, but this time I modded the game to force zombies into rudimentarily 'avoiding' rain. So whenever a zombie was say, next to a door or window and rained upon, it would start trying to breach the building. Whilst those further away remained stationary or wandering about in the rain. The effect this had on gameplay was to force me to clear out zombies surrounding my building, or face onslaught during rain, making rain somewhat more exciting and zombie-affecting. Some small behavioural changes such as this make the game noticeably more challenging and in this case I felt it didn't do so unrealistically. So if you'd like to see a demo of that behaviour in a video please feel free to PM me and I shall do so, just as a presentation, of one way to force a 'siege' on a safehouse. :)

I do hope some of this information is at least usable and that it serves as an alright account of the gameplay at present and possibly a way to approach it going forward.

Kind regards as always, and apologies for the MASSIVE post hahaha. You said you wanted feedback :P

-Viceroy

Edited by Viceroy

Awesome feedback ! :D

Zombies will enter building if they hear a noise inside, I don't see a point for them to go inside if there's nothing to check, no noise or something.. But well, I'm working on ambient noise and stuff, so why not ! :)

Or I just missunderstood and you meant when YOU'RE inside and some outside, they never come ?

Well in that case I was inside the building standing behind a zombie that was trying to break out of the building towards the porch, and on the porch there were like maybe ten or so other zombies. I just found it odd that the zombies outside could 'know' that it was a zombie making the noise inside and not a human or a cat or anything they could eat.

Because I am fairly sure that if I go to a door and strike it with my baseball bat they would then respond. Even though the sound would be wood on wood and they couldn't 'know' that it was a human making it either. It is just strange to me that they do know what causes what sound.

Another thing is if I break a window it seems to lure the zombies around the place towards the shattering sound, but I have observed zombies breaking a window and then the other zombies seem to ignore it. Even if they can't directly see the zombie that broke the window.

I am fairly certain this is the behaviour I have witnessed time and again, I'll test a bit though and get back to you just to be absolutely certain. :)

EDIT: Okay there seems to be a slight discrepancy. I don't know if this is caused by the player striking the window, or by the window being shattered by a player. The zombies do respond on a window shattering from other zeds, but noticably more-so when a player does it.

Here are video clips to show the difference:

Zombie Shatter.

Player Shatter.

Edited by Viceroy

^ This is my experience on the window breaking too. I feel that if the zombies reacted more to the noise others are making, we'd get larger amounts shuffling to the players location, which would in turn bump up the difficulty at least a tad.

Also those videos prove another point, which is that the zombies don't get inside the building after they break a window. Which means that if your not in full view your still relatively safe. But I guess this is more a pathfinding thing...

Last, now that I've gotten some more time with the window permalocking, I still personally think that it should be still slightly harder to get into a building. Again, one of those things that bump difficulty in an extremely realistic way, especially at night. It makes you have to break that window or choose not to, which would in turn make tired and hardening the game that way.

Great work with the updates as always!

I find that the permalock dosn't really make breaking in that much harder, most buildings have many windows giving the player many more chances to get in via other enterences. Perhaps the sound of the lock breaking could draw in nearby zombies forcing the player to scout out his target and choose the best enterance in case he might need to smash in.

But those are just my thoughts.

Well, the perma lock window will be more deadly in case you're running from zombies, it's not really a new difficulty in breaking into houses, it'll be more like "oh god, i need to run, they're chasing me, i'm gonna hide inside this building.. Bam perma locked window f*ck need to find another one fast"

Well, the perma lock window will be more deadly in case you're running from zombies, it's not really a new difficulty in breaking into houses, it'll be more like "oh god, i need to run, they're chasing me, i'm gonna hide inside this building.. Bam perma locked window f*ck need to find another one fast"

Now if there only were a way to open them ... like with a crowbar *cough cough*

Also when you're trying to find a house in the dark and don't want to get noticed, it makes it that much harder to get into the building and subsequently makes you take a decision to break the window or not.

I find that the permalock dosn't really make breaking in that much harder, most buildings have many windows giving the player many more chances to get in via other enterences.

That's why I'd suggest to ramp up the chances of permalock.

If I were to choose only something like 5-10% of the windows should be unlocked as in real life. Similar to doors. But I can see if this can be a bit too harsh. As RoboMat said, a way to open the windows semi-silently with a crowbar or similar should be a help with getting in.

Btw are the chances in lua? Could I probably change them myself? I tried looking a bit but couldn't find anything relating yet.

Ive always wanted zombies to more actively respond to the sounds made by other zombies. Seems like it could help create hordes moving and conversing on one direction. Perhaps also zombies following other zombies that have spotted you.

I agree this, zombie doesn't create a horde by themselves, It could be nice if they move more and follow a leader. Zombies attracts other zombies by breaking things or going into houses etc..