Released: Build 28.3

RobertJohnson

Hotfix 1 released ;)

You lot are fast!

I can now sniper zombies on a hunting post... I just need to get onto it...

Ladders..............

I really hope they are added. Similercarrying to a corpse.

Will solve the problem of people hiding up sheet-rope havens. Or when you fall out of it. You can build stairs,but not portable ladders..

EG is right, we really can't tell, it's only up to the feedback we have, but for now, we have lot of feedback ! I had a lot from French forum too, gonna fix all bugs so far and see how's going, when you guys don't have bugs (well, almost) we could release it in public.

Is there a dedicated place to post feedback ?

No bugs for me so far, but i dont hear any gunshot or helicopter sound anymore.

So far I can set zombies corpses on fire but I don't see any fire on the ground. (Do shaders need to be on to see flames? have not checked with them on yet...)

Also the write on notebook feature. (This disabled the journals option right? But I also can no longer draw doodles on empty sheets of paper. This removed doodles too...) Currently the linebreaks in the journals are bugged in the multi line editor. I was hoping to be able to at wright single page notes on empty sheets of paper or the chance to rip a notebook into extra sheets to leave lists everywhere..

Ok so there seems to be problems with seeing the fire... Also My client sometimes freezes up think it has to do with invisible fires as I see in the log a message about "UNKNOWN FIRE" deleting popping up...

i don't understand why a spade would weight 1.5 when a crowbar is 4. shouldn't be the other way around?

How could a wooden stick with a metal plate at the end weight more than a full fledged iron/metal tube bent in a certain form? I don't know about crowbars in America, but here in Russia it's pretty fair for our crowbars and (big) ice-picks. :P

yeah you're right, i thought that the spade was the big one, the one used in road constructions and such. After googling it i realized it's the small one, like the camping one e.g.

About the respawn of zeds,

from what I read in the post I imagine that the game automatically respawns zeds in areas in which the player hasn't been for a while. This sounds perfectly reasonable for a video game but as a gamer who adores realism I like to question how it would be in RL? 

Lets have a look at the map:

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/?#0.6096403320947292,0.13716472050763415,0.9

I would consider respawing "new" zeds at the edges of the map to let them wander in massive hordes over roads and through woods towards the former civilized areas. From there the "meta game sounds" influence them further. Maybe make it even so that a chunk of zeds doesn't stop once they reach the first sign of civilization to wander even deeper into town center or towards the next town? Make it so that a horde occasionally splits up once the reach a town? 

Now, I obviously am not a game developer and do not know how the AI works, my motivation is that I instead of magical respawns would prefer a more realistic wander mechanic for hordes to bring new enemies into town! Maybe add a sandbox option for the amount and frequency of new hordes entering the map? 

I'm sure other people have even better ideas of how to implement this basic wish  :)

^ Like said, it would require more from your system + it would take days or weeks for zeds to arrive... giving they wont get stuck. I find new respawn mechanic good enough. No moving hordes which is a real shame, but brought some difficulty back.

^ Like said, it would require more from your system + it would take days or weeks for zeds to arrive... giving they wont get stuck. I find new respawn mechanic good enough. No moving hordes which is a real shame, but brought some difficulty back.

yes but in mp default server settings, if i'm in a highly zeds populated area, i log out and back in and the grid is empty of zeds.

About the respawn of zeds,

from what I read in the post I imagine that the game automatically respawns zeds in areas in which the player hasn't been for a while. This sounds perfectly reasonable for a video game but as a gamer who adores realism I like to question how it would be in RL? 

Lets have a look at the map:

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/?#0.6096403320947292,0.13716472050763415,0.9

I would consider respawing "new" zeds at the edges of the map to let them wander in massive hordes over roads and through woods towards the former civilized areas. From there the "meta game sounds" influence them further. Maybe make it even so that a chunk of zeds doesn't stop once they reach the first sign of civilization to wander even deeper into town center or towards the next town? Make it so that a horde occasionally splits up once the reach a town? 

Now, I obviously am not a game developer and do not know how the AI works, my motivation is that I instead of magical respawns would prefer a more realistic wander mechanic for hordes to bring new enemies into town! Maybe add a sandbox option for the amount and frequency of new hordes entering the map? 

I'm sure other people have even better ideas of how to implement this basic wish  :)

This will be implemented, it is often referred to as zombie migration.If you read back in the topic you will see it has been discussed.

As long as the respawn mechanic is optional, I'm happy.

A suggestion for the migrating zombie horde problem not detecting walls dilemma (thus having to restort to spawning them directly), I'd say let them follow the roads and then when you're close enough to bring them out of the metagame: have them spread out accordingly. This would repopulate streets and, if the pathing RNG/your coding decides, houses. Though not the forests and shacks, unfortunately. But that's a very minor drawback.

Not sure if you could do that, but maybe it'll raise an idea or two.

Without even trying it out, I don't like this about the upcoming build 28:

"Added experimental population management: after an area is abandoned by the player, new zombies will migraite slowly from this point. I’ll need feedback on it."

You want feedback? I'll give ya feedback! :D

If that's only regarding MP but you just forgot to type it, then don't waste your time reading the shananigans below...

"Slowly FROM this point"...meaning that they spawn into that area and migrate from there? The whole conscept of zombie spawning is a no no for me. How exactly does it work at the moment? Do the zed just randomly spawn or do they appear on the edges of the map and go from there? I wouldn't mind if you revealed the whole zed appearing mechanic.

RatherI would prefer if the zed would start to migrate towards an area that is occupied for a longer period. That would make sence since everything you do makes noise etc etc. Although I prefer neutral radomness over everything. Besides when does an area count as abandoned? Many areas are visited more than once even though just running through them but still.

@jens

It wouldnt hurt to read a bit, this has been told and described many times.

a ) temporary solution

b ) zombies spawn on roads/near those

c ) you clear area around your base, and have a setting of 1 day zombie spawn. After a day zombies start to appear. Consider yourself surrounded again, they might hear you from your house.

Emphasis on aspect "spawn settings".

Without even trying it out, I don't like this about the upcoming build 28:

"Added experimental population management: after an area is abandoned by the player, new zombies will migraite slowly from this point. I’ll need feedback on it."

You want feedback? I'll give ya feedback! :D

If that's only regarding MP but you just forgot to type it, then don't waste your time reading the shananigans below...

"Slowly FROM this point"...meaning that they spawn into that area and migrate from there? The whole conscept of zombie spawning is a no no for me. How exactly does it work at the moment? Do the zed just randomly spawn or do they appear on the edges of the map and go from there? I wouldn't mind if you revealed the whole zed appearing mechanic.

RatherI would prefer if the zed would start to migrate towards an area that is occupied for a longer period. That would make sence since everything you do makes noise etc etc. Although I prefer neutral radomness over everything. Besides when does an area count as abandoned? Many areas are visited more than once even though just running through them but still.

Talked about this MANY times in this thread already, I'm not asking for "how to respawn zombie" feedback, but does it work correctly atm (enough zombies, not too much, weird migration location, etc.)

So give feedback once you tested it, no point in saying "it's baaaad" without even tried it

Yeah not trying something and then complaining about it is a poor show.

I would like to know what the two variables represent exactly in the server settings.

HoursForZombiesRespawn=0
IncreaseZombieRespawnBy=0

If I understand this correctly, if I set this to for instance:

HoursForZombiesRespawn=24
IncreaseZombieRespawnBy=30

Does in mean that every 24 hours of me NOT being in a cell, it will add 30 zombies to it? Is this a correct assumption?

Also what if I stay in one cell? Would that cell never repopulate or attract zombies? And does it only count cells I myself am in or does it count loaded cells around the one I am inside as well?

Just curious so that I can check if it is working like one would expect.

Is "base zombies" ammount calculates from zombies ammount setting from SandboxVars.lua too?

And another question: do I need to kill zombies in the area and then leave to trigger respawn? or they just keep spawning in unseen zones every x hours even without my intervention?

Is "base zombies" ammount calculates from zombies ammount setting from SandboxVars.lua too?

And another question: do I need to kill zombies in the area and then leave to trigger respawn? or they just keep spawning in unseen zones every x hours even without my intervention?

Yup, it's influenced by the sandbox variables.

2) They'll spawn when you get to the zone, they won't spawn infinitly while you're not around, don't worry :)

Yup, it's influenced by the sandbox variables.

2) They'll spawn when you get to the zone, they won't spawn infinitly while you're not around, don't worry :)

Wow, really fast answer, thanks! Sorry I forgot another question: can IncreaseZombieRespawnBy value stack? For example IncreaseZombieRespawnBy=5. First spawn in given area is base zombies+5, second is base zombies+10, then +15 etc. If not, it would be nice to have this option tunable, in can add difficulty increasing over time.

Erm, not sure I follow..

Basically, you don't see a small road for X hours, next time you see it will spawn let's say 2 zombies, if you have IncreaseZombieRespawnBy=5 it'll spawn 2+5 (7 ! I'm a math genius.) zombies, if you kill them or just zombies migrate away, next time you see the zone (if unseen for X hours) will spawn 7 zombies again, etc.