Released: Build 28.3

RobertJohnson

lol, the level of panic in this thread is so funny. It is like everyone is afraid of the slightest bit of change. Guys/Gals, seriously, the devs won't ruin their own game. It is like when everyone panicked about water cutting out, saying stuff like "We need more wells! You are ruining the game!" and then water catchers came in...

Over the years I have come to trust Lemmy and the Crew® to do the very best for the game, after all, none of us will be able to see the 'big picture' until the end, whereas they have that vision among themselves.

Sidenote (at the bottom, bottomnote): I am looking forward already to the next mondoid. Quite keen on hearing from the Crew®.

I remember people complaining about not having wells, that was fun

Also i hope for a "Soon" of the river water boiling

Yeah that will be a nice addition, but to be fair the river could provide unlimited water then.. I don't want that really :D

I hope that fuel cans will drop more often once the body burning takes place :D

in a game that strives for realism where ever possible, you don't like the idea of a river being a near infinite source of water?

tell me, in the event this ever happens to the real world, are you going to avoid all rivers and lakes because it would be too easy to get water on a consistent basis from there?

in a game that strives for realism where ever possible, you don't like the idea of a river being a near infinite source of water?

tell me, in the event this ever happens to the real world, are you going to avoid all rivers and lakes because it would be too easy to get water on a consistent basis from there?

Contamination maybe?

But pretty much this:

I think we should move the river-discussion to suggestion or general, I don´t want to see this thread locked again  :roll:

On the loot respawning discussion, I'd kinda like to think of it as a "you missed some stuff on the way through last time. Here's something you missed." It's rather plausible, too. Unless you methodically steal all the things inside a house, finding an extra bit of stuff here or there makes a certain amount of sense.

Another way you could do it is if you did "loot supply caches" that look like they might have been left behind by a survivor. Spawn in a backpack with canned goods or preserved foods like pickled or dried vegetables and smoked meat. Maybe add a little touch to it like adding in a written note that says "Here's the stuff like I promised, [name redacted]. Hope it helps." Then throw it in a cupboard or other storage unit. Or maybe spawn in a survivor corpse with a backpack next to him or her, a bite mark, and a self inflicted gunshot wound.

That's just my ten cents, though.

On the loot respawning discussion, I'd kinda like to think of it as a "you missed some stuff on the way through last time. Here's something you missed." It's rather plausible, too. Unless you methodically steal all the things inside a house, finding an extra bit of stuff here or there makes a certain amount of sense.

Then you can even justify it in the mechanics with a scavenger skill; but it wouldn't make much sense if it's just spawning a similar level of loot indefinitely. I'd rather items just be spawned then hidden at the start, if it went down that route.

Then you can even justify it in the mechanics with a scavenger skill; but it wouldn't make much sense if it's just spawning a similar level of loot indefinitely. I'd rather items just be spawned then hidden at the start, if it went down that route.

If it worked like that then there'd still be a finite number of items and the Scavenging skill would be rendered obsolete once you found all the items there was.

I'd be fine with items slowly spawning back in if there was a cap on it by area. Maybe one or two nonperishable foodstuffs per house. Three if the house has been sitting undisturbed for a loooong time. One tool or two tools or weapons per street. Stuff like that. It'd be a nice supplement to whatever self sustainable means you'd have by that point, but it wouldn't be anything you could count on for day to day living.

If it worked like that then there'd still be a finite number of items and the Scavenging skill would be rendered obsolete once you found all the items there was.

Sort of like how any skills relating to shooting are obsolete when the bullets run out. ;)

But I'd argue that eventually supplies should run out, and it should be fatal unless you're prepared to struggle your ass off to survive. But that's because, personally, the game doesn't work for me if you can survive an infinite amount of time -- your mileage and preference may vary.

I think the best way to handle servers being looted dry is just have like 6x more loot from the beginning. It honestly doesn't make sense that one person with a dufflebag can completely clear out a house, gun store, or tool shop in one visit. 

You dont know what you are asking for.

I been on a server where the loot was the maximum amount in Sandbox settings, the server was almost clean of useful stuff after 1 day and a half, turns out people would hoard ALL the stuff even if they are overencumber, so there were safehouses across the map full of stuff.

Also gunfights everywhere

Please stop trying to find a "RP" way for the loot respawn : they are not :P

Or just imagine "oh, house is full again ! someone must have been there and setup a safe house, let's loot this !"

I just hope not all the servers will use it, or will setup a very low loot respawn (i'll add more settings for it soon, I just wait the firsts feedbacks)

Rivers, lakes will get a TONN of dead bodies in them, imagine the amount of disease that will be contained in them.

Also I do not think that you can find purification tablets anywhere in an average town? Maybe on military (later), but to be honest the only infinite water source should be rain in my opinion.

Or just imagine "oh, house is full again ! someone must have been there and setup a safe house, let's loot this !"

I just hope not all the servers will use it, or will setup a very low loot respawn (i'll add more settings for it soon, I just wait the firsts feedbacks)

I agree with you RJ as the loot respawn is only really a feature to make it easier for noobie players to get loot on a server, but it will not be an ultimate solution. To be honest what I found to be a GOOD thing is that you get basic supplies when you spawn (1 food, 1 water, 1 weapon (baseball bat is nice) or axe (bit overpowered). This seem to balance out the server, as everybody starts with more equal chances.

I do like the idea that you have to fight or beg for some supplies, as it will make the game more challenging and I will not play on servers with loot respawn :D

I would not say that loot respawns are just for noobie players, i believe loot respawns will allow servers to stay up for longer without needing soft resets. However i do believe that to make it realistic/fair the loot respawns will have to be set to maybe once every 3-5 days.

Keep in mind though that in the end even soft resets are not intended as a permanent solution. In the end (As I understand it) what the Crew® want is to make the game so that you *can* survive for years, or let me rather rephrase, you *can* survive in a world that is years old.

I do believe I remember Lemmy saying so in response to someone speculating about the 'very late game' and how things will change 6 months, 1 year, 2 years... etc. etc. into the future of the game world. I remember them speaking of sustainability and finding a way to fill the gap of most perishable and finite resources with lower quality crafted items and things like that. For example (On another place mentioned, can't remember) using a rock to bash in nails less effectively, more noisily than a fancy hammer.

It is my firm belief that all the tools you would need for survival, both physical and otherwise will be at your disposal. We simply are not yet at that point of 'content saturation' as it were, you can see clearly though that strides have been made with trapping, fishing and soon hunting. Same with carpentry and farming, water catching... Everything is leaning towards an open-ended survival experience.

The spawned loot could be in single container/ packages in houses, simulating scenarios where other survivors would have wandered in, left their stuff but then forced to leave the area for unknown reasons... that would be rp approach :) as these things really are placeholders until npcs come.

Keep in mind though that in the end even soft resets are not intended as a permanent solution. In the end (As I understand it) what the Crew® want is to make the game so that you *can* survive for years, or let me rather rephrase, you *can* survive in a world that is years old.

I do believe I remember Lemmy saying so in response to someone speculating about the 'very late game' and how things will change 6 months, 1 year, 2 years... etc. etc. into the future of the game world. I remember them speaking of sustainability and finding a way to fill the gap of most perishable and finite resources with lower quality crafted items and things like that. For example (On another place mentioned, can't remember) using a rock to bash in nails less effectively, more noisily than a fancy hammer.

It is my firm belief that all the tools you would need for survival, both physical and otherwise will be at your disposal. We simply are not yet at that point of 'content saturation' as it were, you can see clearly though that strides have been made with trapping, fishing and soon hunting. Same with carpentry and farming, water catching... Everything is leaning towards an open-ended survival experience.

What will also need is to uphold the constant threat to be there, zombies coming and stuff. Which is, I know an intended feature that will be implemented, I am just adding it to your post as this was missing in my opinion :D all other stuff is great!

Rivers, lakes will get a TONN of dead bodies in them, imagine the amount of disease that will be contained in them.

Also I do not think that you can find purification tablets anywhere in an average town? Maybe on military (later), but to be honest the only infinite water source should be rain in my opinion.

I agree with you RJ as the loot respawn is only really a feature to make it easier for noobie players to get loot on a server, but it will not be an ultimate solution. To be honest what I found to be a GOOD thing is that you get basic supplies when you spawn (1 food, 1 water, 1 weapon (baseball bat is nice) or axe (bit overpowered). This seem to balance out the server, as everybody starts with more equal chances.

I do like the idea that you have to fight or beg for some supplies, as it will make the game more challenging and I will not play on servers with loot respawn :D

As I've said before, dead bodies are actually much less likely to cause disease than being around live people. Bodies causing sickness is largely an old wive's tale.

Bodies causing sickness is largely an old wive's tale.

Yeah, tell that "fact" to those ebola victims in Africa... body fluids contain the virus some time after death. If you for example carry bodies without being careful, that's a risk.

As I've said before, dead bodies are actually much less likely to cause disease than being around live people. Bodies causing sickness is largely an old wive's tale.

Alright lets see if I put a dead mouse into a glass of water to rot, how much does the water get contaminated and if you drink it will you be sick? I hope you volunteer as you seem very certain :D

Imagine 9000 rotting corpses inside a river floating around, with a virus infection that nobody knows what causes it only that it spreads with blood and saliva... You would risk drinking from a river full of dead bodies right?

I hope blackjack gets added, I'd LOVE to play some post apocalyptic blackjack. And whoever loses, would have to go do the most dangerous of tasks. (Would also be a good way to decide who goes on dangerous missions)

No but really, Sounds interesting. Now I can have SOME interaction with that lucky deck of cards I carry around!  :)