Micro-organisms and their risks

Raptrix

Micro-organisms  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What level of infections would you be realistic but still playable?

• Basic: Blood infections (untreated wounds over times)
    • Mid: Blood and food (uncooked meat/eggs being incapacitating/noisy such as throwing up while walking out and about?)
    • Advanced: Drinking from toilets to give different symptoms vs blood and food bourne. Maybe forests based (i saw discussions on fungus) with maybe new items and treatments

Hey,

I have played a few run throws now and though there are some basic level illness tweaks, how interested would people be in a mod or some such that took this to a new level?

Introducing certain conditions and requirements for medications. I have drunk out of toilets and eaten raw food stuffs that would normally require cooking without any truly detrimental effect.

Could we have parasites, bacterial or viral infections?

Maybe random vomiting if infected that can give you away by noise to localised zombines. Reduced carrying weight etc.

Potentially have specific cures such as antibiotics for bacteria, antiviral compounds, stomzach calming drugs etc.

I love survival simulators and think this would add a new strain to the experience.

What do people think?

Tinks

As a mod?

Definitely go all-out with your advanced idea.

If it's something the players can choose to have in there (like a mod), then you might as well make it the most in-depth experience they can imagine. Not over-the-top fun-breakingly annoying and difficult, but realistic enough given the circumstances the games environment places you in.

I really like this idea. But It should be common sense based. You know not to drink from a toilet, you know not to eat spoiled food. If you do you get sick. The more obscure options like fungus might be realistic but if you get sick without any indication why that happened I think players are going to be pissed off.

I'd like a use for antibiotics in game. In any survival situation having some anti biotics is likely to save your life...

I like all of this. Like a previous post said, it's common sense not to drink from a toilet or eat bad food. And as for the fungus in the forest, that's also the simple fact of "Being out in the woods exposes you to all kinds of sickness."

Actually the toilet reservoir is completely clean and holds much more water than the bowl (which would drain/evaporate quickly anyways). The only thing in it (depending on where you live) is a bit of sand or other minerals. I think it's safe to assume we're drinking out of that, not the bowl in the game.

Also, as I've already made clear elsewhere, there are far FAR too few harmful fungii in Muldraugh, KY to be remotely realistic if added to the game. If you want a decently realistic experience then skip all the fanciful rare stuff and stick to the common things that would be likely for a person to get: cold, flu, stomach flu.

It's also worth noting that many diseases that only effect humans would be quickly eradicated from existed with the zombie plague as they'd have no hosts and would quickly die out. The main reason Earth is such a hellhole of disease and pestilence is because there's always another carrier just an arms' reach away.

So I have a question,.... and don't freak out okay??

I warned ya..

So if my survivor gets infested with parasites and he poops them out, he should then be able to eat the parasitic worms that were once inside of him and make them be inside of him again to feed the parasitic worms already inside of him feeding off of his food intake and nutrients. Then do the whole process over and over, eating worms and eating worms..

Yes?

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestions on risks of a non-zombie infection:

1. Damage taken leads to a probable infection. The most dangerous should be bites (even 4% non-zombifying) and gunshot wounds. Risk should increase if wounds and scratches were not treated. The more time without bandage -- the bigger the risk.

2. Food. The biggest risk is rotten food, dead rats, etc. Raw eat and eggs could lead to a small risk of a mild to moderate infection (actually, they are not that dangerous in real life).

3. Non-boiled water from rivers, ponds, toilets.

In addition, we need:

1. Antibiotics (and we need to take ab 3 times a day for, say, 4 days in case of a moderate infection and 2 pills 4 times a day for 7 days in case of a really bad infection).

2. Water boiling.