Tips and tricks for kinda new players(And experienced)

Dragonbahn

So I became VERY bored and decided to share what I've found out about the game trough my own playtrough.

This is by the way in no special order. :!: :!: :!:

-ALWAYS loot corpses. They do often have something valuble like bags or even an axe! :mrgreen:

-On the subject of axes, DON'T use the axe for combat unless you have to. You will have to use the axe to get planks later in you session so you do NOT want it to break. :mad:

-Even after the water has been turned off you will be able to find some water left in sinks, toilets and bathtubs. Bathtubs have the most water left in them. (fedora)

-Don't fight zeds near windows. If you swing and break the window you are possibly going to call all the others zeds to dinner. :razz:

-Checklist for main base. Two floors, not too far from the center of either west point or muldraugh, bedroom on top floor, bookcase for easier sorting of books and such. :geek:

-Garbage bags should always be on the "shopping-list". You will need them for rain collectors. ;-)

-Guns are a bad idea. Just don't use them. :-|

Some very useful tips I've only lately found out myself!!

If I may add more to the list...

- Always have an extra backp-up weapon in your primary inventory when fighting/exploring around many zombies and not just at youer safehouse (weapons can break and leave you stuck in a tight spot with zombies (Pressing 1 for blunt weapons,2 for guns and 3 for sharp weapons in your primary inventory is helpful)

- Don't be afraid to stockpile tons of chips, peanut butter, instant popcorns & etc vas your emergency food so you never run out of "fresh food"

- Don't be afraid to take a day off and just read a book (for a skill advance)

- A good way to "travel" (which you're gonna have or want to do if you actually play Project Zomboid a lot) is to put a duffelbag full inside a big hiking bag which is equipped on your back, then 2 two schoolbags or duffelbags + in your two hands. (This lets you carry many necessary supplies you've looted from a town to your next safehouse/safehouse in bulk!)

- Bandanges weigh nothing so there's no reason not to have a few ready in your primary inventory (Painkillers can keep your character going through other fatal injuries which you just don't quite have time to treat properly right now!)

EDIT: Also, this is prettty helpful for playing in general.  http://pzmap.crash-override.net/?#0.4344797878309586,0.15243750380309343,114.47545997288273

Second the garbage bags.  They are super light-weight, and they run out fast once you actually need them.  They are one of my "always grab" items, along with sand bags (which I empty out), nails, and, well, many other things.

Another thing I do is just keep a piece of paper next to me and write down the skill books I've collected.  Simple, and maybe a little unnecessary (it's not like they weigh much) but it keeps me from getting tons of copies of the same books that I haven't read yet because I can't remember that I already have one, because I have the memory of a goldfish.

I also always have a hammer and nails in my bag to repair my baseball bats.

-Don't use sledge hammers/hammers/axes as weapons unless you have no other choice, or you have a spare stored. They are vital in base construction.

-When possible have 2 sheet rope exits from your safe-house, and put higher preference on windows where you can see the tile you land on.(Windows facing south east and south west)

-Take the time to construct a safe-house near areas where you expect to spend more than a few days. Having one near a looting area can save a lot of time during the looting runs and if you leave some supplies there(non-perishables, some spare weapons), you have a fallback if your main safe-house gets swarmed.

Some very useful tips I've only lately found out myself!!

If I may add more to the list...

- Always have an extra backp-up weapon in your primary inventory when fighting/exploring around many zombies and not just at youer safehouse (weapons can break and leave you stuck in a tight spot with zombies (Pressing 1 for blunt weapons,2 for guns and 3 for sharp weapons in your primary inventory is helpful)

- Don't be afraid to stockpile tons of chips, peanut butter, instant popcorns & etc vas your emergency food so you never run out of "fresh food"

- Don't be afraid to take a day off and just read a book (for a skill advance)

- A good way to "travel" (which you're gonna have or want to do if you actually play Project Zomboid a lot) is to put a duffelbag full inside a big hiking bag which is equipped on your back, then 2 two schoolbags or duffelbags + in your two hands. (This lets you carry many necessary supplies you've looted from a town to your next safehouse/safehouse in bulk!)

- Bandanges weigh nothing so there's no reason not to have a few ready in your primary inventory (Painkillers can keep your character going through other fatal injuries which you just don't quite have time to treat properly right now!)

EDIT: Also, this is prettty helpful for playing in general.  http://pzmap.crash-override.net/?#0.4344797878309586,0.15243750380309343,114.47545997288273

wait a minute! Does bagseption work?

- Establish a standard looting loadout. For me, this is generally two bags of chips, a piece of cooked/other food to eat on the way out, two bottles of water, two sheets and a spare bag or two. You want the ability to camp out overnight, or stay away from your safe house for a few days if things go pear-shaped.

- Carrying spare bags is damned handy. Carry a bag, fill it it up, dump it near the front door or out on the street. Rinse and repeat as you proceed down a neighbourhood. At the end of the day, come back and grab the bags as needed. Saves a bunch of time, as you don't need to rummage through every house every time you head out.

- Find a way to mark houses as being looted. Leaving all the doors open, or dumping a piece of brightly coloured clothing out the front works nicely.

- Try to keep at least one nail on you at all times. To craft a sheetrope and hang it out the window of a second story building, all you need is two articles of clothing and a nail. Clothing can be found everywhere there's zombies. In a pinch, you can throw modesty to the wind and sacrifice your vest and pants to the cause. Better your dignity than your life.

- Keep a checklist of skillbooks, tools, and supplies you need. There's an online/printable checklist floating around the forums somewhere, just have a look for it. Nothing is more annoying than finding out you have thirty copies of Carpentry for beginners when you don't need it. Pen and paper works just as well in real life as it does in Zomboid.

- Later in the evening, instead of reading skillbooks, consider organising your supplies. A bag renamed to '.containerContents.', i.e: .Firearms. will always appear at the top of an inventory list, and is ideal for labelling a crate/bookshelf/bag of items. Having organised and consolidated supplies in your safehouse can save quite a lot of time when you're getting ready for a looting run. Having a container dedicated to dumping loot into for later organisation makes loot runs a dump-and-go affair. This works VERY well in multiplayer. A player stuck at base can be organising the loot while other players are out collecting more.

- You do not need an axe and saw to start barricading up your safehouse. Destroying unwanted doors (bathrooms, doors on nearby houses) with a melee weapon will give you planks. In a pinch, you CAN cut down a tree, or bust in a door with any melee weapon, including a spoon. It just takes longer.

- Consider using a fireaxe as a melee weapon, especially when you've got a healthy supply of repair items, or a spare. Apart from being one of the best melee weapons in the game, axes can bust open locked doors very quickly. Perfect for moving around in an urban environment. Just remember to use it in both hands for maximum effect.