A Love Like No Other

Keepbro

Another old story that was on the previous site. I was quite proud of it and I hope you like it.

Rupert leaned his full weight against the door as Terry scrambled to nail it shut. The door buckled against the weight of enraged zombies clamouring to get in. The moans intensified as more and more were attracted. Terry hammered and hammered until the door was a mass of nailed wood. The door was bolted shut and thank God that the zombies were too stupid to think of the windows ....yet. They were safe.... for now.
Rupert breathed a sigh of relief. Terry was there for him. As he had always been. Ever since they had met in Knox counties one and only mens bath house. It had been a whirlwind romance and though both of their families had disproved of their relationship they were happy together and had been content to live in a small redneck community where strangely people hadn't really cared about them. It had been refreshing to get away from the pettiness of their families.
Rupert walked around their new house carefully checking for any zombies that might already be inside. There weren't any and the house was completely empty but it was always prudent to be careful. Downstairs Terry started to pull the doors off their hinges and before long they had both reduced all the inner doors in the house to slats. When the first zombies started to pound at the ground floor windows, Rupert pushed them away with his axe whilst Terry blocked them all up with wooden boards. Finally the house was secure. They slumped, exhausted, in the living room, Rupert on the sofa whilst Terry chose a chair. They looked round at a living room where quite clearly someone had died and reanimated. The pool of blood in the corner, long since dried with blood handprints and smears leading to the kitchen and then outside. "You'd think they'd do something about the curtains," said Terry. They both collapsed with laughter breaking the spell of exhaustion. But even this light humour was too much and Rupert drifted off.
Rupert was awoken by Terry. Terry had an ashen look on his face.
"What is it?"
"Its bad" was Terry's reply
"What?"
"There's nothing in the fridge. I've checked all the cupboards and there's nothing. This house has been cleaned out."
Rupert looked grave. The reason they had been chased into this house by the horde was because they had been low on water and had no food. They had hoped to find something, anything that they could eat. They went upstairs and looked out the windows. There was a true horde now piling up around the house. Hundreds of zombies congregated outside the house. The house had a courtyard on one side and a back garden with swimming pool on the other and both sides were full of the undead. Rupert and Terry had been trapped before but they had managed to escape by climbing onto the roof and jumping across to the neighbouring house's roof but it wasn't possible here. The houses were too far apart. They were truly trapped. There was no way out short of killing a few hundred zombies and both of them knew that neither had the strength left to do that. Terry spoke first.
"I love you, you know"
Rupert started to cry.
"Hey hey" said Terry as he gathered Rupert in his arms. "Its okay, at the end there's no-one on earth that I'd rather be with than you." They kissed. "You know I love you" Terry said as he pressed his forehead to Rupert. "We're together at the end and thats all that counts." Rupert just bawled and stared at the floor. He raised his arm and hugged Terry hard to him and kissed him.

Rupert was still crying as he brought his knife out and with one clean movement struck it cleanly into Terry's neck. Their lips were still connected as Terry stared wide-eyed at his lover as he felt the steel enter his neck. Rupert pulled away. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" he said as Terry's mouth filled with blood. Terry looked at him as he started to choke. He took one step towards Rupert before he fell. Rupert held him as he fell, still crying, still hoping that Terry would understand. Terry's face stared at him in shock before he stopped struggling. His face started to go grey. Before he finally died, he smiled. Rupert screamed as sadness and guilt took hold of him.
Cutting up Terry's corpse had been hard. Especially through the tears and sobs. He had stripped Terry naked looking at the body that he had loved. He had picked up the axe and gulped. The first blow had been the hardest. It had been like defiling a statue. But after the first blow had cleanly taken Terry's arm off it had been easier. He had just been meat after that and Rupert had separated Terry into 6 pieces. Arms, legs, head and torso. He had dumped them all out the front window, all except Terry's head. That he had left till last as he looked at the back garden to see if the zombies were moving and sure enough they were moving to the front of the house. He had a chance now to escape out the back and make it to safety and food. He looked out the window. It was a small drop, one he had made easily before. He held up Terry's lifeless head, eyes closed, grey and very very dead. He kissed his lover's head on the lips one last time. This was the last thing Terry would ever do for him. He threw his lovers head at the nearest zombies with a scream. He jumped from the window out of safety and into the garden.

If Rupert had been slightly more careful when butchering his lovers corpse he would have taken care not to get blood all over his shoes. As he landed his foot slipped sideways on the garden cobbles and all his weight pushed onto his ankle. With a scream Rupert went down. His ankle had twisted and he scrambled to stand. He hobbled to his feet and tried to put pressure on his foot and instantly fell over screaming. It had to be broken. Rupert couldn't stand. The zombies were still congregating away from him standing and fighting over Terry's head pulling it apart to get at the fresh brains. Rupert crawled over to the pool's diving board and used it to stand up. Fighting back tears of rage, sadness and pain he stared at the zombies as they finished their meal made up of his lover's head and started edging towards him. He couldn't move and every step brought a wave of pain to his head. He was finished.
"I'm sorry, my love"
The nearest zombie lunged at him and they both fell back into the pool followed by more and more zombies. The pool turned slowly red.

Great story.

Nice twist of retribution and justice at the end.

Have you seen the opening to 28 weeks later? (i know the film isn't the best) It's a fresh take on how love does not always conquer survival instinct.

Thanks for writing this!

Tinks

Archived