Weapons and Panic

EmptyH

Hi there,

I wondered if it wouldn't make sense to make panic somehow influenced by the weapons you carry. I read things like that in books very often. Something like: "blah blah ... he felt reassured feeling the weight of his weapon" or "he tightend the grip around his weapon and already felt a bit safer"

I can relate to that feeling from playing horror games too. In some horror games like resident evil you have weapons and you are able to defend yourself which makes those sort of games much more bearable unlike other games like Amnesia or Slenderman, where you are scared by your utter helplessness.

Don't know what you guys think about my "wild" theory. :) But i think it would make sense in a lot of situations. For example a unarmed man facing a zombie might break down really fast, while a man armed with a pistol might do better, maybe finding solace in the fact that he can put down a lot of these things before they kill them and maybe even in the fact that if all else fails he could just put a round through his own brain.  "Sorry boys, I'm taking the easy way out" *Blam*

I think there would be more confidence in a person with a weapon compared to one without one.  However, the difference could be negligible enough to not affect much in game.  Panic is a tricky thing to balance appropriately, especially considering how its viewed by different players, since everyone is affected differently by situations.

Some people carrying a rifle would see a zombie group coming at them as nothing a rifle couldnt handle, while others would start panicking thinking about the potential of missing heads or having the rifle jam, for example. Same is with the guns or no guns thing. Some guys could see a baseball bat as a better and more secure way to go (due to not fearing a miss or jam in their perspective) and could panic with a rifle in their hands if they're inexperienced shooters, while others would panic only having a baseball bat and not a rifle in their hands. Its a tricky thing to please every player with and I believe until they find a better way they should really just keep up with the "weapon doesnt matter im 96% going to die" setting.