Po1sN3

Question

Hi everyone!

I just bought the game this summer sale, and so far I'm loving it, having a lot of fun! :)

Since I bought the game with some friends, we wanted to get a private server running just for us which we could save and manage as we please. However, I haven't been able to get a private server running, no one can connect. I've read the forum and haven't been able to find a solution.

So far here is the list of things my friends and I have tried:

• Portforward both TCP and UDP ports 16261 to 16270 to the same as entry port.
  • Add Project Zombid exe file to the firewall exceptions.
  • Disable the firewall altogether.
  • Connect to my ip, both local (just me) and external.
  • Install hamachi, start server and use hamachi IPv4.

Unfortunately, every one of our tries we get the Connection failed error. I get no error message on the server.bat command prompt, the last thing I get is: server is listening on port 16261.

We've tried choosing ports 16261, 16262, etc. when connecting and nothing works.

I've changed nothing in the server configuration, everything is default, and all I did was run ProjectZomboidServer.bat.

The only other error I get is translator: failed to parse Recipes for language=EN and translator: failed to parse Items for language=EN. I'm running the game in portuguese, could that be a problem?

Please we really need some help, we love the game and really want to play on our own server. If there's anything we've missed or something we're doing wrong could someone let us know. I tried providing all the information I could, if there's something I should have included please let me know, or if the text is not clear, excuse me as english is not my first language. I can try to write it better if needed! :)

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help in advance and thank you for the great game! :D

6 answers to this question

Hi! We managed to get a server up! Unfortunately for some reason my router's control page wasn't getting the ports open despite stating that they were open. First I tried assigning the server to different ports which the router had presets for (other application presets).

Finally we were able to get around the problem by using portmapper, which you can get here, and changing firewall definitions .

I can make a guide if anyone wants, perhaps in another topic?

Anyway, just wanted to thank Rathlord and EmptyH for their help!

First thing to check is everyone needs to type in 16261 for the server when connecting. That's always what it should say on the server list when you're trying to join.

Also make sure everyone is entering a username.

You should try to connect to your own server- try using "localhost" without the parenthesis to connect instead of your IP (while on your own network). 

I wouldn't recommend trying to connect with Hamachi as I'm fairly sure it doesn't work due to Technical Stuff.

You should be able to set up a local server via a VPN Tunnle (like hamachi)

Didn't try this ever but there is a pretty big guide on how to make it work on steampowered.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/3/540735426498254264/

Using a VPN Tunnle will also mean you won't have to forward any ports since the software already takes care of this and emulates a LAN.

Hi! Thank you for your replies! So far hamachi hasn't worked, don't think it will! Sorry, EmptyH, I followed that guide and nothing!

Rathlord, I managed to connect using localhost, thanks for the help and for the info about the ports.

I have an update, one of my friends managed to connect to my server using port 16261 while I was running my computer as the DMZ host on the router.

Can anyone please give me the exact port range and protocols I need to open? I haven't been able to get people to connect using 16261-16270 TPC/UDP ingoing and outgoing. Am I missing any port? are the protocols wrong? I suspect that may be my problem, as when I disabled the firewall using DMZ host my friend was able to connect.

Anyway, thanks, both of you! :)

You'll want 16261 + (1 per player). So if you want 5 people playing, you want 16261 + 5, or 16261-16266. You can just open up a bunch extra if you don't wanna worry about it, like 16261- 16280. And aye, should be in and out TCP and UDP.

Also, it might be worth trying with your friend's firewalls and antivirus' set off just to see if that's the problem- it frequently can be.

I'll try again tomorrow, as they're offline at the moment. Maybe I didn't do the portforwarding correctly. Either way, I'll try again and we'll try disabling all firewalls and antivirus.

I hope it works, I really don't want to use DMZ, I'd prefer to keep the router firewall up if possible.

I'll be back to let you know how it went and I'll mark the topic solved if it did, thanks again!