Landmark Suggestions

Viceroy

So I have been reading through the suggestion forum and it struck me kinda odd that most of the suggestions are gameplay-centric. Now this is not a bad thing at all, I just thought it would be nice to have a place where map suggestions could be presented neatly as well. This thread is for suggesting places and things you'd personally like to see in the map. Feel free to post one or a multitude of them and don't worry about suggesting something 'OP', the world will be dynamic and even a military base would be challenging because of that.

Suggestion example:

Place/Landmark: Insane Asylum

Where: Out of town, somewhere rural and out of the way, like a forested backroad.

Reason it'd rock: It is a huge complex capable of housing hundreds of zombies, it has loot ranging from weapons to food, it is a self-contained structure capable of being used as a safehouse where-in the player(s) can isolate themselves and hold out for possibly weeks under massive zombie siege.

Zombie Density Expected: High to very high due to patients, panic to get loved ones out and the loot potential luring looters early on in the apocalypse.

Suggestion Template:

Place/Landmark:

Where:

Reason it'd rock:

Zombie Density Expected:

Where: Out of town, somewhere rural and out of the way, like a forested backroad.

Reason it'd rock: It is a huge complex capable of housing hundreds of zombies, it has loot ranging from weapons to food, it is a self-contained structure capable of being used as a safehouse where-in the player(s) can isolate themselves and hold out for possibly weeks under massive zombie siege.

Zombie Density Expected: High to very high due to patients, panic to get loved ones out and the loot potential luring looters early on in the apocalypse.

I was playing on the Bedford Falls map that has an Insane Asylum. It was without zombies, just for adoring the great mapping. But still, even without zombies, the Asylum was so creepy, I left it rather quickly! :shock:

My own suggestion:

Place/Landmark:  water tower

Where:  Out of town, mayber on higher ground, a hill.

Reason it'd rock:  Makes a nice fortress. You've got access to a lot of water and it could have a fence. Also: who doesn't want to live in a tower?

Zombie Density Expected:  None. That's the only drawback.

I was playing on the Bedford Falls map that has an Insane Asylum. It was without zombies, just for adoring the great mapping. But still, even without zombies, the Asylum was so creepy, I left it rather quickly! :shock:

My own suggestion:

Reason it'd rock:  Makes a nice fortress. You've got access to a lot of water and it could have a fence. Also: who doesn't want to live in a tower?

I was actually talking with someone about water towers in the apocalypse yesterday.  When water services stop, the water in the tower would continue to flow to houses until it is empty.  Water towers are built the way they are to utilize gravity and save pumping costs.  It would be empty in a matter of hours, unless you manage to get to the water tower and cut off all the lines.  Which draws out the suggestion, cutting the water lines extremely early in the game would allow you to survive without rain barrels for a long time.

Assuming you DO cut the lines: "Also: who doesn't want to live in a tower?" glub glub glub.

Ah I have another one I'd enjoy

Place/Landmark: Crash landed Airliner

Where: Cornfield or riverbank, maybe even on a highway, wherever seems like a logical place a pilot would try for or just short of that.

Reason it'd rock: Unique supply rich location where high value loot can be found, survival rations and flares, radio equipment, and pretty much the whole cargo hold that made it. The cool thing is the more intact it is the more 'living' zombies you would have around, and with large aircraft if the landing was soft enough you could have upwards of a hundred of them ON the plane without even considering the number lured to it.

Zombie Density Expected: Relative to how intact the craft is, quite high.

I thought this the other day, and also considered being able to break the roof or something in order for it to fill from rain.  It defeats the purpose of rain barrels, but for those willing to do it could make a convenient alternative.  Either way I'd like to see them in the game.

Well naturally occuring resources like for instance a rain catching spot would serve the practical purpose of also being a place animals would go, and on late game servers when water is out and power is down, it is impossible to build water catchers, so it is actually a great solution.

There are some really cool ideas in this topic already! :D I have to say I trust the map makers and can't wait for what they bring in the future but I would love to mention a place I'd like to see in there :)

Place/Landmark: Harbor

Where: Somewhere on the Ohio River, maybe closer Louisville or even in it (when it's added).

Reason it'd rock: While it's not confirmed I hope we eventually get boats to travel across the river with or even canoes to travel down the creeks in and I think it would be pretty cool to have a small harbor near or in the city. It could be harder to get to as many people would be thinking to grab a boat after the zombies hit, making it a deadly place full of them. And of course most the left over boats wouldn’t be set to sail right away without some sort of fueling or repair.

Zombie Density Expected: High density without being too high like the Mall was at times. The fact that it would have a lot of narrow docks to walk down would make a lesser amount of zombies more dangerous then they would be in an open area.

The crashed plane sounds really cool. Maybe there is a really small change for it to crash anywhere during the game.

Harbour: I'm looking forward to it.

Another one:

Place/Landmark: Sports Stadium

Where: a big city like Louisville

Reason it'd rock: Stadiums have a huge systems of rooms and tunnels underground with lots of loot, like padded clothing, bats and tools.

Zombie Density Expected: Depends. The stadium could have been used by the military to establish a camp for the civilians. Of course this turned out as a massacre and now the place is a death trap with it long narrow tunnels and corridors. Or it wasn't used at all and is now a safe haven right in the middle of a sea of zombies.

Those are all really good suggestions, I am a big fan of the plane idea in particular.

My suggestion is so obvious it makes me think this must have been suggested before.

Place/Landmark: Prison
Where: Somewhere rural outside of town.

Reason it'd rock: Same reason the characters of the walking dead set up shop in one, easy to defend, got grassy areas for farming, with a big fence around it. Kind of like a modern castle. Also it will be great fun clearing the dark corridors full of zombies.

Zombie Density Expected: High Zombie density, because lets face it, it's set in America with overcrowded prisons. I doubt anyone would think to relase the prisoners in times of an apocalypse. Also we should be able to find a few weapons and ammo stocks from the guards.

Place/Landmark: Train Wreck

Where: On the train tracks, somewhere possibly where it ran into road vehicles and derailed itself.

Reason it'd rock: Who doesn't love trains? Would also stop thousands of people complaining about not being able to drive the train, and you could add very interesting things to the wreck, like anything from fertilizer or electronics to chemicals that are dangerous to your health. Making the wreck a potentially toxic area that you cannot spend too much time in, something that would probably slip the mind of any newbie survivor that is too focused on just surviving from zombies. I'd enjoy more unique environmental hazards and/or benefits for sure..

Zombie Density Expected: Depending on what type of train it was and what it ran into, I would say between low and medium.

Place/Landmark:Massive traffic jam

Where: On the roads leading out of towns, largest in West Point and on the bridge leading to the mall area.

Reason it'd rock: It would be expected after a large scale disaster that lots of people would try to leave at once, thus creating a large traffic jam, like the one on the highway leading out of Atlanta in the walking dead, but not as large. Also it would create a larger zombie population thus making the game harder. Also you could expect lots of loot in the cars because everyone tried to take as much as they could. Loot that could be expexted are canned foods, clothes, weapons,ammo, anti-bordem supplies, and survival gear.

Zombie Density Expected: High to very high.

These places would be awesome to have, now mine

Place/Landmark: Military Checkpoint

Where: Random streets, maybe even spawn in different locations every time you start a new game...

Reason it'd rock: Zombies, so many zombies, Oh lawd.  The checkpoint was the militaries way of containing the outbreak, until some jerk tried to drive through and downed a fence.  After the fence was downed everyone (including infected) got through the checkpoint and spread the infection further.  Have some fences and sandbags on the side of the road with a gate in the middle and a traffic jam on one side of the gate.  You could find water, food, weapons, ammo and military clothes.

Zombie density Expected:  So many zombies, oh the terror.

Place/Landmark: Zoo

Where: Edge of town? Probably not in the center but not out in the middle of nowhere either

Reason it'd rock: Narrow paths, lots of tight buildings, and perhaps even escaped animals! Imagine fighting off a horde and then suddenly a tiger pops up!

Zombie Density Expected: High...seems like it would be a good place for disease transmission

Place/Landmark: Zoo

Where: Edge of town? Probably not in the center but not out in the middle of nowhere either

Reason it'd rock: Narrow paths, lots of tight buildings, and perhaps even escaped animals! Imagine fighting off a horde and then suddenly a tiger pops up!

Zombie Density Expected: High...seems like it would be a good place for disease transmission

Hah. Don't know if the tiger thing is realistic but i can imagine it would be awesome. Some of the older guys here might know the situation you described from another game. :D

"You have been ambushed by bloodcats!" "Fuck" *Frantically loading JHPs into my pistol with shaking hands* :D

Place/Landmark: Overrun field laboratory

Where: Rural but possibly close to a main road.

Reason it'd rock: Nothing will drive home the level of the threat better than seeing first hand that not only did the government try, it failed, it failed to even protect what is essentially mission critical personnel. Seeing the failure I believe would make many people feel like the world certainly ended, if nowhere else, then even still there is no way of them reattempting to help this area. It wouldn't be such a prime looting spot, apart from medical supplies and maybe some radio things or at least a generator. I would regard it more as a set-piece though ub this particular regard. As such it should be kinda gruesome. Tents torn in the wind and terror, hanging down and obscuring the vision, perhaps even use it in conjunction with the military checkpoint mentioned above to create a chokepoint that must be traversed but with great hazard.

Zombie Density Expected: Low zombies but positioned at such a point that it sees rather frequent horde movement.