Super Easy OS X Server Hosting

Rathlord

Greetings forumites!

I'm working on an easier way for OS X users (and possibly a slightly cleaner way for Linux users) to host servers. Rather than having to duplicate the game and change values in messy info.plist files, OS X users should be able to host a basic game with a single click of a file!

But first I need volunteers to make sure it works on everyone else's machines. I definitely need an OS X volunteer, and if someone on Linux wants to give it a shot (I've no idea if it'll work for you guys or not, but presumably it will) that'd be great, too.

Simply download this file, unzip it, and double click it. If a server comes up, victory! Report back to me with your findings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jv9lm0npuq41ej9/OSX_Server_Script.command.zip?dl=0

Thanks in advance!

-PZ Tech Support Rathlord

Anything should be fine as long as it has PZ installed.

Should be noted that if you actually want people to play on it you'll still have to port forward and such, but you won't have to much around with game files anymore.

I've installed the JDK and downloaded the script but when I double click it, all it does is open text-edit. Am I missing something important? Macbook Air running with Mavericks version 10.9.3 btw.

You might have to right click it and select "Open With" and choose Terminal from your utilities folder; that shouldn't be happening, though, I'll make sure I have perms set right.

I've installed the JDK and downloaded the script but when I double click it, all it does is open text-edit. Am I missing something important? Macbook Air running with Mavericks version 10.9.3 btw.

You might have to right click it and select "Open With" and choose Terminal from your utilities folder; that shouldn't be happening, though, I'll make sure I have perms set right.

I re-downloaded the script and opened it with Terminal the way you told me to, but Terminal just opened a blank Terminal window, identical to what happens when I just open Terminal by itself without the script. I've done this both with and without PZ running in the background. Any idea what might be the cause for this? If it helps out it any way, Terminal was not one of the recommended apps when I right-clicked and choose "Open With". I have also never had any mods or such installed.

I re-downloaded the script and opened it with Terminal the way you told me to, but Terminal just opened a blank Terminal window, identical to what happens when I just open Terminal by itself without the script. I've done this both with and without PZ running in the background. Any idea what might be the cause for this? If it helps out it any way, Terminal was not one of the recommended apps when I right-clicked and choose "Open With". I have also never had any mods or such installed.

you could try it the same way as i did to get it running:

download the script from Rathlord somewhere.

open a terminal and cd to the directory where you downloaded the script to.

If you downloaded it into your "Download" folder: cd ~/Downloads

then i added the execute right to the script: chmod +x OSX_Server_Script.sh

after that execute the script: ./OSX_Server_Script.sh

1. Download OSX_Server_Script.sh to your Download folder
  2. Open Terminal App ( i use iterm2, the builtin Terminal is fine too)
  3. cd ~/Downloadschmod +x OSX_Server_Script.sh./OSX_Server_Script.sh

you could try it the same way as i did to get it running:

download the script from Rathlord somewhere.

open a terminal and cd to the directory where you downloaded the script to.

If you downloaded it into your "Download" folder: cd ~/Downloads

then i added the execute right to the script: chmod +x OSX_Server_Script.sh

after that execute the script: ./OSX_Server_Script.sh

1. Download OSX_Server_Script.sh to your Download folder
  2. Open Terminal App ( i use iterm2, the builtin Terminal is fine too)
  3. cd ~/Downloadschmod +x OSX_Server_Script.sh./OSX_Server_Script.sh

Thanks! It worked perfectly this way and I was able to connect to the server using Localhost.

Guess the perms must be messed up after all. Hmm.

i think its not possible to set the perms of a file you let others download (the rights wont survive the download..)

May be its possible to put it in some sort of app container with applescript, not sure about that.

Guess the perms must be messed up after all. Hmm.

i think its not possible to set the perms of a file you let others download (the rights wont survive the download..)

May be its possible to put it in some sort of app container with applescript, not sure about that.

Can't you just change the extension from .sh to .command? When I did that, the script executed perfectly through Terminal by just double clicking on it. Or maybe the permissions still messes up, but it at least makes me able to execute it through just clicking.

i tried to build an app which should be working fine

https://mega.co.nz/#!tUhXRTjL!ZrTSkFS7_U6oSlpMdHnPoP7Lq4ETIj6Y_IEv63Vkkj0

when you start it it will also log output of the server to ~/PZ_dedicated.log

also it checks if java is found with version is not < 1.7 and if the Java Folder of project zomboid is found.

feedback would be great, it uses your script Rathlord

i tried to build an app which should be working fine

https://mega.co.nz/#!tUhXRTjL!ZrTSkFS7_U6oSlpMdHnPoP7Lq4ETIj6Y_IEv63Vkkj0

when you start it it will also log output of the server to ~/PZ_dedicated.log

also it checks if java is found with version is not < 1.7 and if the Java Folder of project zomboid is found.

feedback would be great, it uses your script Rathlord

It worked perfectly for me and I could connect with localhost without problems. Used the same computer as before

Before I do that, could someone try using the file (but with the .command suffix, since it's actually "owned" by Terminal unlike .sh) without doing a chmod and see if it works? http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/9230-returning-player-positive-feedback/

i downloaded the .sh again and renamed it to .command

after doing that and if i execute it from the finder i first had to authorise the execution. but then i got the following error: "The file 'OSX_Server_Script.command' could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges'

i gave chmod +x a shot, after that it works.

Before I do that, could someone try using the file (but with the .command suffix, since it's actually "owned" by Terminal unlike .sh) without doing a chmod and see if it works? http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/9230-returning-player-positive-feedback/

i downloaded the .sh again and renamed it to .command

after doing that and if i execute it from the finder i first had to authorise the execution. but then i got the following error: "The file 'OSX_Server_Script.command' could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges'

i gave chmod +x a shot, after that it works.

Just found a quick and ugly workaround.

If you chmod +x and zip the file the perms are saved in the zip.

So after downloading the zip and decompressing it starting from the finder works

https://mega.co.nz/#!hRhn1Cya!A_TcKMEec7dkcyl6vc936GNxRB9UtxHmfR_f7UFrEyQ

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I just wanted to say thanks Rathlord! I couldn't get my server to work on os x (map tiles not loading, and weird zombies who disappeared then came back in another place like some quantum teleport thingy) but this script made it smooth.

I just downloaded the script to "Downloads", and executed with that code in the terminal.

1. cd ~/Downloads
    chmod +x OSX_Server_Script.sh
    ./OSX_Server_Script.sh

I have a couple of questions:

1. Firstly, where are the new server (projectzomboid.app) located? I have old copies everywhere from previous attempts, so Im not sure.

2. Is it okay to start the server with the script every time, or does it always reinstall the files when I do that? 

3. How do I install a version 28 server when it comes out? I guess I just download it on steam and run the script again?

The server files will always be located in the Username/Zomboid folder.

You should always start with that script, an it will work through every version of the game for the foreseeable future. Cheers!