Why can't new maps be recognized without replacing?

scipherneo

Hey all - just want to let you guys know that I'm a new poster, but I've been lurking forever - I've been following zomboid for a long time, but was waiting to purchase until I felt it was in a good playable state (in my own opinion) so I recently picked it up! I have always been interested in mapping because I have a thing for symmetry, and in real life I enjoy architecture. The art style of Zomboid just kind of kicked me from talking about it to doing it, I give praise to whoever did it. I also am fairly competent in code, mainly lua and java; making Zomboid seem like the perfect place for me to get more experience and practice! :)

My question is after making a few buildings, messing around with bmps and navigating my way through the tiled as well as the world editor; how come to put a custom map into the game you have to replace a map that is present in the game by default? 

I understand that the maps could be predefined in the code or something, but why can't this be edited/changed? I really want to create my own map (not just add to one) without replacing the ones already there. I know I can change the names of the map and then change them back when I want to use them, but this feels like something that I could fix by defining my map somewhere so the game recognizes it? 

I may just not have looked hard enough and there might actually be a way to do this, but I have yet to find one. If this can't be done (hopefully if it can't, it's a planned update!) is there any issue in having two zomboid installs, one for custom maps/testing and one for actually playing? Thanks!

you can actually run any map you want online, me and japer played his mega mall map on my server while a bunch of ppl played the normal pz map and the mega mall map wasnt part of the server files, it was just on our clients. kinda odd.

and as for multiple zomboid installs, i have 6 total projectzomboid client folders, 3 of which run servers, 3 that run for client all different versions.

You can add your own separate map if you create a new folder in the media/maps folder and then place your files there. Then you'll need to create a map.info file and add a thumbnail pic of your map to that folder. You can check out the existing files under the maps folder for reference on what you should add to the info file.

You can add your own separate map if you create a new folder in the media/maps folder and then place your files there. Then you'll need to create a map.info file and add a thumbnail pic of your map to that folder. You can check out the existing files under the maps folder for reference on what you should add to the info file.

Perfect. Thank you!