RegularX

So I'm wrapping up SICmod, which I tried very specifically to keep to stuff which I thought blended in to the vanilla game itself.  SICmod might make things a little easier in some ways, but nothing was over the top.

Xmod - Xmod should be over the top.  Balance schmalance.  If the weapon doesn't instakill - something is wrong (OK, near instakill.  Instakill is .... difficult post 9.15).  Did you read somewhere that a nail gun is a poor zombie weapon?  Don't care.  

Course, SICmod was a little easier because it played by the rules.  Most of the things in SICmod are based on something that already exists in the game somehow.  So I'm not really sure what can and can't be done here - but here's a proposed list:

Update: Changing some of the design based on general limitations and also approaching it from a more Profession-centric way.

XProfessions:

These will be professions selectable at the character create screen.

Former SMart Employee

-Sawed off Shotgun

-Plenty of Shells

-Copy of Necronomicon

Bonsai Chef

- Carbon Steel Knife

- Good with Knives Trait

- Full cooking XP

- Starts with plenty of canned food

Wandering Samurai

- Katana

- Good with Everything Trait

- Tiger Blood

- Various Physical traits

Evil Genius

- 10x MURDR Grenades

- 5x Romero’s Tonic

- 5x No Damage Tonic

- SUPR Pistol

Escaped Psychic

- Exploding Brain Wave Attack

- Various negative psych traits

- All good awareness traits

Shaolin Master

- Kung Fu

- Tiger Blood Trait

- Various positive physical traits

Hitman 42

- Silverballer

- Good with Everything Trait

- Way of the Gun Kata Trait

- Full Aiming XP

The Handyman

- Starts with every tools and lot of nails

- Full Carpentry XP

The Farmer

- Starts at a farm, with loads of gardening stuff

- Full Farming XP

XWeapons:

Very Rare (configurable) items

Necronomicon

Reading from the Necronomicon may destroy/injure nearby zoms.  Reading too much of it may be dangerous to your health...

Nail Gun

Uses nails in your inventory for ammo.  Moderately deadly, faily silent.

Katana / Carbon Steel Knife

Decent range, extremely durable. 

MURDR Nade

Designed specifically to harm zombies

SUPR Gun

Solar powered Undeath Ray pistol.  Dodgy when rainy.

Romero's Tonic

Cures everything.  Even dries you off.

No Damage Potion

For a short period, everything is healed instantly.

XTraits:

Free with an XProfession, otherwise quite expensive

Tiger Blood

Zombies don't scare you.  They might be scared of you.

Kung Fu

With your hands, who needs a chainsaw?

Good with Knives

You can attack continuously with a blade while aiming

Gun Kata

You can attack continuously with a pistol while aiming

Good With Everything

Any melee weapon in your hand is deadlier

Psychic

Your mind is a weapon

Really Handy

Full Carpentry XP

Gourmet Chef

Full Cooking XP

Master Green Thumb

Full Farming XP

Most of this I've got working in some capacity, but needs a lot of testing.  Won't release a build until after 9.17 comes out with the new modding framework.  

Due to some questions about how Xmod might be doing x or y (especially when it comes to efficiently killing zombies) - I'll go ahead and post a 9.16 friendly version.

Please note:

• This code is untested
  • It's also kind of ugly and a bit shy.  It may well bite.
  • It may very well crash your game or corrupt your save.  You've been warned.
  • I'm only about half way through trying to "balance" the Professions.  By "balance" I mean somewhere leaning towards "wildly overpowered" while being knee deep in "still fun".  But don't complain if you pick a profession that starts of with a zombie cure, or by reading the Necronomicon too many times you find yourself suddenly infected (cough cough).
  • That said, please wait until after I can test this against at least 9.17 before commenting on things like "the Psychic is way overpowered".

Some of the tricks in this version which might be of note to other modders:

• The KillAllZombies function in XWeapons will instakill all zombies in a radius.  The Necronomicon, MURDR Nade and Pyschic attack all use it.
  • If you look at the "KungFu" and "Psychic" related stuff, you'll see how you can override the default hand attack
  • The Silverballer weapon is my best effort so far to play nice with the ReloadManager.
  • XProfessions shows how to add your professions and control them without having to rewrite any existing Lua files.
  • Necromonicon and Romero's Tonic has some bits on curing/causing infection.  Necronomicon is untested, I think I added it around midnight last night.
  • The "attack while aiming" code might be curious to weapon mods, but again - very untested.  This is one bit that will probably need a lot of tweaking.

There is a strong chance that much of this might change post 9.17.

Fellow modders please feel free to grab, copy, paste, modify, outright steal or otherwise take advantage of the code.  Since none of this rewrites existing Lua, as long as you're putting it back into your own object/namespace there shouldn't be any conflicts.  All due credit, yada yada - more important if you're trying to do something fun with the game.  All I really ask is if you see that I'm doing something horribly wrong, or otherwise have a suggestion to improve X or Y let me know.

Feel free to shoot questions here or via PM.

Download link here:  http://xmod.herokuapp.com/Xmod.zip

Can't wait for the sound effects in this :D.

OMG can we add those?  That would be excellent.  Similar to textures maybe?

RoboMat uses sounds in his Lockpicking Mod, for items, but it should work the same for weapons or similar..

That's because RoboMat is a genius :P

Also, RegularX - have you ever been around a nailgun when someone is using it? It's usually best to wear earmuffs, especially if it's going to get a lot of use.

Can't wait for the sound effects in this :D.

OMG can we add those?  That would be excellent.  Similar to textures maybe?

RoboMat uses sounds in his Lockpicking Mod, for items, but it should work the same for weapons or similar..

That's because RoboMat is a genius :P

Also, RegularX - have you ever been around a nailgun when someone is using it? It's usually best to wear earmuffs, especially if it's going to get a lot of use.

Sound effects are easy. You just need to put them in the sound directory and make calls to getSoundManager():PlayWorldSound() and getSoundManager():StopSound() for the basic stuff.

Actually you only need StopSound() when you want to stop it early, or stop a looped sound. The problem with it is, that StopSound() seems to stop working when there are multiple sound calls. Have you experienced the same john?

Sound effects are easy. You just need to put them in the sound directory and make calls to getSoundManager():PlayWorldSound() and getSoundManager():StopSound() for the basic stuff.

Actually you only need StopSound() when you want to stop it early, or stop a looped sound. The problem with it is, that StopSound() seems to stop working when there are multiple sound calls. Have you experienced the same john?

I have experienced some problems with my scrubbing sounds not stopping, sometimes. I haven't figured out what is causing this yet. I only have one sound playing at any given time.

Yeah, I'll experiment next week - but I'm not hopeful either.  I think the stock shotgun sprite is still busted in anim, so getting a custom one might be tricky.

I have a feasible Chainsaw, but it kinda looks like the world's best kitten knife at the moment....

• 2 weeks later...

Well for your weekend, I just uploaded a couple of Necronomicon fixes :)

Also I don't know if it is how the zombie density code is still working, or something hacky with how I'm killing zombies ... but from that test run:

attachicon.giflotsadeadzoms.png

Quite possibly some combination of both...

Looks like those zombies *Puts on sunglasses* are Re-Dead.

I was just testing new (unrealeased) code for the Samurai's "GoodWithEverything" trait, which basically turns any weapon into an instakill nightmare.

I think I might have overdone it:

post-737-0-06146100-1377901415_thumb.png

I didn't know one zombie had that much blood left.

update: when checking the logs to see if this is because I am show how repeatedly hitting the zombie ... it would seem ... yes:

8/30/13 5:30:06.486 PM [0x0-0xcc0cc].com.projectzomboid: Xmod:: SO MUCH BLOOD!!!!
8/30/13 5:30:06.486 PM [0x0-0xcc0cc].com.projectzomboid: Xmod:: SO MUCH BLOOD!!!!
8/30/13 5:30:06.487 PM [0x0-0xcc0cc].com.projectzomboid: Xmod:: SO MUCH BLOOD!!!!
8/30/13 5:30:06.487 PM [0x0-0xcc0cc].com.projectzomboid: Xmod:: SO MUCH BLOOD!!!!

(to ad naseum)

Nice.  Yeah the issue seemed to be an aggressively recursive hit loop - and any item that hits can draw blood, and it seemed to be drawing blood on every tick.

I honestly would have kept it just for the effect it didn't stack overflow and cause the entire game to crawl, so while a cool slo-mo-insta-bloodbath, not really game friendly. Fixed now though.  These loops are the inverse of the radius kill - after a hit, it forces onFloor to true and then Kills.  Seems to do the job every time.