Composting! Mycology!

Crotchfire

I know there's been a lot of discussion about composting rotten foods, but I was thinking that cultivating mushrooms could go hand in hand with that.

I think it would be cool to be able to find mushrooms in the wild and be able to feed yourself by eating the right kinds and poison yourself by eating the wrong kinds.  Maybe even some mushrooms (poisonous and not) that tend to grow around dead bodies in the grass.  If you can have varied types of compost, you could even use those to find the best way to grow certain kinds of mushrooms.

If it merits it's own skill to be leveled, there could be a mycology skill for determining whether found mushrooms are safe to eat, and maybe until the required level is reached for a type of mushroom, uncertain mushrooms could all look the same in your inventory.

Just some thoughts that occurred to me in the shower today.

And maybe you could find a survival handbook that has the types you can eat. No, not a zed survival book, but more like a survival book planes keep in case of crashing, or the ones you buy at a bookstore, you know, the military kind.

I have a copy of "how to survive anything" by christopher nyerges  and a copy of "sas survival handbook" by John Wiseman that i take on flights, just in case i make friends with Wilson!

The idea of compost is a really neat one, and would give the post apoc farmer something to do with all that rotten food.  I know you can use some rotten food as a master cook, but it would be nice to be able to use all that rotten crap to help grow fresh stuff.  Maybe be able to construct a compost barrel, chuck in the garbage, and wait a few days and voila! homemade fertilizer.

And adding mushrooms from it is beautiful! Great suggestion!  You could grow them in your compost barrels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the devs have confirmed or denied the idea of composting? Any mentions from them on it? I had thought about this the other day and decided to create an account here to see and possibly post some great ideas into the game. This is definitely one I'm on board with as I'm really big on agriculture both in game and as an actual pastime. With such great mechanics already implemented, I'm a little shocked that composting hasn't been introduced already! I have hopes up for the future, however :]

Growing mushrooms would also give the player a reason to find a nice, cool, dark concrete room to occupy with bins/bags/etc for mushroom growing.

If Z-levels/basements/sewers are ever implemented, I can see mushroom growing in a dry storm drain being a lucrative profession.