Animals?

Zach

Regarding the OP, here is a question I posed to TIS in the APZDTISA 3 back in february, directly quoted from the mondoid of 17th February:

Q. What wildlife can we eventually expect to encounter in the forests? Will we ever see birds and will they be huntable? (Viceroy)

We’ve got a bunny being prepped for the game right now – the plan is to have as much of the wildlife you’d expect to see in the rural woods of Kentucky present in Zomboid. My cursory Google investigations in this area result in things like, the American Black Bear (woo!) and Red Bear, deer (multiple types), squirrel (roasted), elk, stuff like that. Birds are (slightly) problematic in-so-far as they fly, and sky isn’t something you tend to see in a top-down isometric game.  That said, you could feasibly show ground shadows from overhead birds and birds have to land from time to time, so there are plenty of ways they could be added too. (Andy)

What about farm animals? I think it would be awesome to be able to find a horse on a farm and ride it

Until it catches sight of a single zed, panics, and bucks you off breaking both your legs and leaving you to get eaten by a threat you would have otherwise had no difficulty against. Horses are the single worst farm animal to have in a zombie apocalypse. They're only good for riding and you can't bring them anywhere near dense populations of zeds without risking them panicking and throwing you off For Massive Damage.

Anyway... I've been reading up on farm animals and there's one breed of animal I think would be awesome to have: Guinea Hens. They're smaller than chickens and the eggs are tougher, but the meat is supposed to be very flavorful. Less hunger, but greater happiness boost? Also, they're supposed to make for excellent pest control as they prefer eating insects over plant matter. Walk right up to your tomato plant and pick the bugs right off it without harming the plant or the fruit. If you have any other animals they'll go up and eat the fleas and ticks right off of them. If you got a dog trained enough to where it won't try to kill your livestock, the Guinea Hen will even eat the ticks right off the dog.

Worth noting that horses do make for good farm animals, actually. They can plow fields at a rate... vastly... higher than a human can do it, and without leaving you exhausted for days. I don't think they'd be worthless by any means, but I probably wouldn't use one for trips to the city for sure.

Worth noting that horses do make for good farm animals, actually. They can plow fields at a rate... vastly... higher than a human can do it, and without leaving you exhausted for days. I don't think they'd be worthless by any means, but I probably wouldn't use one for trips to the city for sure.

Fair enough. So many people only ever ask for horses to ride that I tend to forget they can be used for plowing crop fields as well. Then again you could probably also do that with a bull (which you'll need if you want to breed any cows you might have)