The Outpost [PvP/PvE][Softcore-RP][Events][Trade][Whitelist][US-East][Active Admin]

Deadend

8 - 17 - 2014 UPDATE: "... and from its ashes a new phoenix arose" After almost 2 months, the server is finally up. But since then new ideas have made it into my head. The server is released under a new name, THE UNDERTAKING: ORIGINS , so go there now, and read all about it. This forum post/thread/topic will no longer be in use.

old stuff if you want to nag me about changing my stance on certain things.

EVENTS

This server is to be more event-driven rather than roleplay-driven. But the events are designed in such a way that they fit with the game world lore. These events are created not only to have more things for you to do and entertainment but to also give you a feeling of community; or at least for the most part. There are two categories of events: the first are mission driven in a roleplay sort of sense and the second are resupply events. The mission driven are major events that would be announced in advance, in these a group of survivors would carry out a mission to simulate what it might be like to be part of an outpost in a zombie apocalypse. And the resupply events are scenarios created throughout the game world to create loot spots and avoid having to reset constantly. The events planned thus far are the following:

(open spoiler to continue reading)

Mission-driven Events: These events are announced in advance and planned for accordingly (for people that would have an alternate account for these events they are to have a certain tag in their username, these accounts should never be online unless they're participating in a mission-driven event).

• Outpost Defense: The outpost is in threat of being attacked by a group of raiders. In this event there would be two teams, the outpost defenders and the raiders. The outpost would be outfitted with food, tools, and weapons for the defenders to barricade and defend the outpost. And far from the outpost so would the raiders. Participants are asked to have an alternate account for such events, your character is going to die (you'll see why) and I wouldn't want you to pry away from such events because you're scared to lose all your progress with your character. Both groups are given some time to coordinate their defense and attacks. Each participant will be killed (so crude I know) and are expected to have a fresh spawn, with only the basic survival kit at hand to participate. The only reason why this is so is to not create an unfair advantage and leave it purely to team dynamics and each individual's skill. The raid will consist of one or two waves, depending on number of participants, so when participants die, they'll be allowed to come back in for a second round. The raid ends when either team has been completely wiped out or surrenders/retreats. The winning team gets the loot, they can loot the dead bodies and containers in the outpost (on top of which there might be extra rewards given by admin). It's up to each team who gets what and how they'll transfer it to their main account (stashes anyone?). No one's safety is assured beyond the outpost.
  • The Fall of Rose: Outpost Rose has been overrun by Zombies and the remaining survivors are holed up in a room with only a few supplies. Supplies that would help in retaking the outpost are stashed throughout the outpost. It's up to the group how they go about getting these supplies. Much like the Outpost defense event, every participant is expected to have a fresh spawn with just the survival kit on hand. Everyone only gets one chance, if there is at least one survivor standing when all zombies are killed, the rest of the group gets to come back in to get whatever loot they can get. With the possibility of a reward package depending on quality of loot.
  • Trapped survivor: a complex is overrun by zombies and one of our own is trapped inside. A rescue team has been assembled to rescue the survivor. The rescue team would start at the outpost where they can gather supplies and prepare. Each participant gets only one chance. If survivor is brought to safety the team gets rewards.
  • Survivor taken hostage: A few weeks back a group of bandits came to the outpost guns blazing asking for tribute. As we did not budge they started shooting and trying to make their way into the outpost. After the gunfight was over and the bandits retreated we realized a good portion of our storage units were looted and a few of our survivors taken hostage. It's time for payback. We've gathered some intelligence and know where the bandits' hideout is located. A team of our most elite has been assembled to take out the bandits, retrieve any loot and rescue any survivors still alive. So for this event, it's a mix of the "trapped survivor" and "outpost defense" events.  There will be two teams, the bandits and the rescuers, along with one or two hostages. The event is set up pretty much like the "outpost defense" event and with the same goals. But with the twist of rescuing someone for "extra points".
Resupply Events: these events are announced in the server as they occur. These events aren't organized like the mission-driven ones, each survivor can investigate each event at their own risk.

• Overrun Survivor Campsite: a survivor camp from Outpost Rose has been overrun by zombies with loot still in it somewhere near [insert place].
  • Failed Loot Run: a group of survivors from Outpost Rose have been killed by a horde of zombies while trying to bring back loot from a loot run near [location].
  • Failed Zone Clearing Mission: a group of survivors from Outpost Rose have been killed by a horde of zombies while trying to clear out a zone near [location].
  • A Horde Has Been Spotted: a scout from Outpost Rose has spotted a horde of zombies migrating into town near [location]. The purpose of this event is to simulate migrating zombies until that is a feature officially added into the game.
The following are part of resupply events but are meant to stimulate an economy within the server and provide a place for trade:

• Caravan Trade: A caravan has arrived to Outpost Rose to trade goods such as tools, weapons, and ammo. For the time being this caravan can't be killed (in godmode) to offset the fact that in such a scenario the caravan would have guards but unless we have a large player base on the server and several admins I don't think we would have player guards, this however might change in the future to allow bandits to assault caravans.
  • Farmer Trade: since there is no way to prolong shelf life of harvested goods as of yet, there will be a farmer trade hosted at Outpost Rose that functions similar to the caravan trade. In this trade however endgame farmers can come and exchange their harvested goods for other goods, seeds, and tools. I would have a character there to stimulate trade and exchange rotten harvest foods for fresh ones (or even a piece of fresh steak in exchange for a rotten steak and some salt, get the hint?) or adding in foods that a farmer would otherwise produce but there is no way of doing so yet in-game like dairy, since milk is for example needed to make mildew spray (I actually don't know if that's still something you have to deal with when farming). Much like the caravan trade, the host farmer can't be killed. Fishers, trappers, and lumberjacks are welcome. Though really, anyone that can bring something to trade is welcome.
So those are the events I have in mind thus far, they're all opened for changes and discussion. The other thing I was thinking about regarding mission-driven events is the possibility of recording them and having them on a YouTube channel so people who were unable to participate can watch how it went down. I think it would be pretty fun to watch and if successful would encourage more players to join, not just server but possibly the game for the first time. The more players the merrier.

MORE ABOUT HARD/SOFT RESETS

So for the most part I think a lot of players have a wrong view towards resets. Here is what the mondoid Road to Unification from March 3rd said about soft resets " Soft resets reset everything in the world, such as zombies, loot, blood, characters. But it leaves any map changes in effect. so zombie fortresses will still be standing, and (now much less likely) kitchen fires will still leave their mark on the world. But water and electricity will return, blood stains on the walls, zombie bodies in the street, will all be cleaned up. Zombies will walk the streets again as they would in a totally fresh game." And for the most part, people can still use old characters. Many people ask for resets every 2-3 days, but don't realize the influx of loot this would add to the game world. It would be so easy to obtain what you need that the game loses a sense of survival. The ultimate goal of the PZ devs is to have servers last indefinitely without resets and my goal with the events being added to the game server is to prolong the need for resets. However there will be hard resets in the case of new game updates that require it. And as for soft resets, I understand a fresh start will be needed every now and then. So a poll would be open to see if the majority (2/3) of server members think its time for a server reset, in which case we would have a fresh start (keeping in mind that you might have to start a new character). A fresh start would be called a new round and that's something we would keep track of so we know how many rounds have been played on the server.

ABOUT THE SOFTCORE ROLEPLAY

One of the things I don't like about certain serious roleplay servers is how quiet they are. Global chat is restricted in such a way that you feel pretty much alone if you're new and don't immediately find anyone nearby. I can say in games I've felt I was having a much better time when I was able to chat with other people casually as I played. So in this server, people wouldn't be asked to role-play on global chat (they could if they wanted to). Instead they're asked to keep conversations PZ-related. So things that would be okay for global chat is to communicate with admins, find people to team up with, ask questions about server, ask for help, talk about game events/occurrences. There is nothing better than logging onto a multiplayer server and seeing a lively chatbox. Also, Outpost Rose and its events for the most part adds a sense of roleplay. But due to safety precautions you would otherwise have in real life (like locking doors, having traps to stop bandits (bear traps anyone?)) that are not yet part of the game I don't think roleplaying could properly be implemented unless maybe the server was heavily enforced and everyone monitored. But other than that, anyone and everyone is welcome to roleplay as much or little as they want.

HOW PvP/PvE WOULD WORK

for servers that lack the idea of bandits or restrict them by making them known to everyone or asking them to give people a headstart before gunning them down, I think that's too much. Personally I think it adds more tension when you meet someone and you don't know if they're friendly or not. It's up to you to watch your back and decide whether this player is meant to do you harm or not. It adds more realism to the whole survival simulation, who says someone wouldn't just shoot you dead in real life to steal your goods? Heck its even done already in the world we live in, it might not happen at all or as much in the U.S. but it sure does in third world countries where crime is high. People get jumped in alleys, stabbed and left for dead all the time. If a bandit points a gun at your face and asks you to surrender your loot they're just being nice. There is no way of knowing what you're carrying besides the weapon you hold so the only save bet of stealing your loot is sadly, by killing you. Again, this is why I don't think roleplay is something that can be properly implemented in a server yet. However, the safety system will be activated. For those of who are not familiar with this multiplayer function read the Road to Unification Mondoid http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2014/03/road-to-unification/ . I think this is something worth trying as the devs are right, its a good replacement for when in real life you would see someone pull out their gun to shoot you down. It makes up for visual signs you would otherwise see in real life of someone's hostile intent.

SPAWN AREA / OUTPOST ROSE / AND NEW PLAYER STARTER SURVIVAL KIT

As far as I know, you can set up a spawn point or let the server choose random spawn points, but we all know they're not that random. Either way, my plan was to have a designated spawn point near Outpost Rose so that players could walk up to the outpost. But Outpost Rose will serve as a community area for all to come chat, trade...etc. I also believe that having an initial spawn point makes buddying up with someone much easier. And it would also be a place that would be fairly safe. Also there will be an initial starter kit for all new characters and will be adjusted as the game progresses. So for example, endgame starter kits would contain more and/or better supplies than the ones in the beginning. This will hopefully help new players coming into the server in a server round that is at endgame and set them off in a good start. lore-wise its designed to fit with the genesis, "you're a survivor found or that stumbled upon Outpost Rose. You were taken in, given a care package, and offered the option of sticking around or setting back out on your own." The other thing I think of outpost rose is to allow people to settle in. But that's still largely a concern since its not yet possible to protect your loot very well unless you're there 24/7 or stash it away. But that's something that can be discussed as the server and community progresses.

INITIAL GAME WORLD CONDITION

I personally think the "proper" zombies designed thus far are way too easy. So there will be some adjustments that will hopefully make overall survival in this server much more of a challenge, I'm still currently experimenting with these options on singleplayer mode. All these adjustments will be open for discussion of course and could be changed later on if they prove too difficult or not challenging enough. Ok so to start, Zombie population will be set to "high" but most likely "insane" and urban focused. Water and electricity will be immediately shut off (again, based on the genesis, some time has passed. So there is no reason for water or electricity to still be working. Plus it gives people another reason to get moving. And for those that don't know, a limited amount of water still remains in house water sources after its shut off that you can collect, so initially there will be plenty of water to be gathered before you have to think about making water barrels or going to a well). An ingame day cycle will most likely last two or three hours (this is so that a month in-game would take at least 2 to 3 days. To balance this however, there is good chance more batteries/candles/fire-making material will be circulated into the game so people can still play at night-time). Rain I've been thinking to set it to "dry" to add more of a challenge and make water that much more precious, and also because its really annoying to have to stay indoors when it rains for lack of umbrellas/jackets in game yet. But due to farming needs I think it might need to be set at "normal", and so will temperature. Now, for zombies infection mortality will be fairly short but long enough so that you have some time if your intent is to go by unnoticed and infect your whole group, or make some arrangements before you die. reanimation time will be almost instant. Zombies would have superhuman strength, eagle vision, bloodhound smell and don't decay. That way you'll think twice before approaching hordes and makes looting that much more of a challenge (and also so you consider more the idea of teaming up with someone. Isn't that the whole point of multiplayer anyways?). To balance this however, zombies will have poor hearing so guns can be used with more ease. through server events ammo will be injected into the server, but will be carefully monitored as to not overpower players and have too much ammo circulating the server. Same goes for weapon and repair items like duct tape. Also do notice that such adjustments to the zombies doesn't really make them that much harder to kill individually (their toughness setting is left alone, set to normal), it just makes hordes harder to kill and therefore good loot harder to get and much more rewarding (you can still sneak up behind a zombie and stab it in the head). All other settings not mentioned here are left alone, so like for example you can still get infected through blood + saliva.

Edited by Deadend

Sounds like an awesome server count me in, but I do have one question where in Muldraugh will outpost rose be located?  If not decided yet could I or any other suggest a location?

Also server settings seem awesome and these events sound really cool to, though they seem quite difficult to perform but other than that sounds like a great server.

Sounds like an awesome server count me in, but I do have one question where in Muldraugh will outpost rose be located?  If not decided yet could I or any other suggest a location?

Hey, I'm glad you liked it! As for Outpost Rose I was thinking somewhere between Muldraugh and West-point. That way you immediately have three options for loot runs: mall area, west-point, and Muldraugh. And from there you would be pretty much the same distance to each of these locations. As for where exactly, not entirely sure, though that little stop-by off the main road from Muldraugh to West-point where there is a spiffo's and a Gas-2-go seems fitting. The only thing I'm still undecided about is whether I want to clear a patch of forest and build the outpost from scratch, or barricade a pre-built building or two. That's something I'm definitely open to hear suggestions for (keeping in mind the role the outpost is suppose to take).

If not decided yet could I or any other suggest a location?

Definitely, this goes for any aspect of this server. You or anyone can suggest anything.

these events sound really cool to, though they seem quite difficult to perform

difficult to perform for participants or just in general to carry out the event? The tools to carry out resupply events have been implemented into the game already, so I don't think those will be a problem or difficult to execute. The mission-driven ones however I think will require at-least a small-sized community behind this server for them to be any fun (I'd say for each, at least 4 participants would be needed and two admins to monitor). Though I've said the server will be whitelisted from the get-go, its possible that if I don't get much support in the forums for this server I'll open it to the public and garner supporters from in-game to come visit the post (probably eliminating mission-driven events until I can get a few people asking for them and wanting to participate) but still applying everything else listed here until the server is ready to be whitelisted.

Yea I meant to carry out the event I am not familiar with the tools admins have and did not realize they can so easily be executed. Also the location sounds perfect, and looks like zombies wont be a problem there until the "fall of rose event" but yea the server sounds good.  Also if the zombies or going to be super strength, eagle vision, insane, etc. Will you think about making them shamblers instead of fast shamblers?

Hey Mind here,

I'm fairly new to Project Zomboid, I have been playing for a week now but i know most of the fundamentals, This is the first server that caught my eye since not a lot of people have signed up yet I want to be the first people to start playing. I am looking to see if you're willing to help me through the game, like tips, how to survive longer, etc. I live in New York and will be playing from 12 pm to 5 pm EST. Let me know when i can play, Thanks. 

I would love to be a part of this. Sounds like a really fun server. 

As for Outpost Rose's locations, maybe the picnic area outside West Point? Might be too far from Muldraugh, but it's somewhat far back into the forest, and would be an awesome location for an outpost.

Maybe you could put the ruins of Fort Lenning in the Farmhouse with the well, as like an easter egg for people who manage to make it out that far? Or maybe the Alive Inside Warehouse?

And a recommendation for an event, maybe you could have a Outpost Rose person captured in -insert location here- and a group of bandits guarding him, and Outpost Rose sends in a group to rescue the captive?

if the zombies are going to be super strength, eagle vision, insane, etc. Will you think about making them shamblers instead of fast shamblers?

Currently I'm testing these settings, with zombies as sprinters. Quite difficult, pretty hard to run from hordes. Actually I have yet to manage to run from a horde (even with athletic trait). And they're freaking scary, almost feels like "I Am Legend" zombies. So yeah definitely not sprinters. Fast shamblers you can outrun and shamblers would be too easy to take out if you''re loaded with guns. So I think to start out they'll be fast shamblers (I'll be testing this setting soon). However, if it turns out the general server populace believes the fast shamblers are too much of a challenge I would probably make them shamblers or just reduce zombie count so difficulty is taken down a notch.

Hey Mind here,

I'm fairly new to Project Zomboid, I have been playing for a week now but i know most of the fundamentals, This is the first server that caught my eye since not a lot of people have signed up yet I want to be the first people to start playing. I am looking to see if you're willing to help me through the game, like tips, how to survive longer, etc. I live in New York and will be playing from 12 pm to 5 pm EST. Let me know when i can play, Thanks. 

It'll be a while before this server is up, will wait a couple of days to see how many replies I get then I might put something up to start testing and try to attract people to the server from within the game because I know not all PZ players roam the forums (I own PZ since it pretty much came out and never joined the forums until now). I will announce any updates regarding the server so feel free to follow this topic so you're kept update.

As for game help, sure. Well you should definitely look for PZ guides, though a lot of them are pretty outdated. You might find some in the PZ wiki and some here in the forums. It also depends if you're going multiplayer or singleplayer because you'll go about each a bit different. In singleplayer, its pretty easy to survive at regular settings, just find a weapon, loot buildings, plan ahead what you want to accomplish (find tools to build a base, find tools to build a farm, find tools to repair your broken tools/weapons, go fishing, find traps to set up...etc. There is a lot you can do). But in Single-player you just got to watch out for zombie hordes, it all really depends what settings you play on (if sandbox or regular game).

In multiplayer if you're in a roleplaying server well they'll help you out. If you're in a PvP server, watch out for other survivors. The rule of thumb in PvP servers is to find a bag and a hideout ASAP. Don't settle down in any of the houses in town or you'll get looted. What you can do is get a bag with all your goods and stash it away in some corpse or forest (though it might dissapear if the server resets often). And it also depends how far out the game is (a lot of times the main towns are pretty much wiped clean), you might have a hard time looking for food or water bottles. But its safe bet to have a hideout, a place to go to at night and/or drop off your loot. And most payers are willing to trade so you should pick even what you don't think you'll need if you have the space.

Things worth picking up are frying pans (as low end weapons), kitchen knifes and any other weapons above that. Garbage bags (rain barrels or last resort bags to carry items), large bags, tools (hammer, spade, trowel...etc.), mouse traps, medicine, cooking pots (great for storing large amounts of water you collect from water sources and leave at your base), sheets (barricades and campfire kit), CAN OPENER. You should eventually try to get a campfire going (you'll need a few planks and sheets), you'll need to cook food once electricity is out (which most likely will be on any server). All food (except rotten) is worth eating, if you get unhappy take an anti-depressant. Phew, okay well there is a lot to learn about Project Zomboid but the fun thing is you can learn as you go.

Oh and I recommend you play on windowed mode and have a browser tab open with the game map from http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5939974462629899,0.1338269061598167,1.7218210954440265 ... It'll help you tons with getting around.

I would love to be a part of this. Sounds like a really fun server. 

As for Outpost Rose's locations, maybe the picnic area outside West Point? Might be too far from Muldraugh, but it's somewhat far back into the forest, and would be an awesome location for an outpost.

Great, you should follow the topic to get updates as to what goes on with the server. As for the Outpost's location. Yeah, I've actually thought of that picnic area being aesthetically a pretty good location. But like you said, its pretty far from Muldraugh. One of my main concerns right now is bandits when admins aren't online ransacking the outpost. Though since there is no way of protecting your crates and containers, the outpost won't have anything worth looting. But people might come to axe down the walls for nails and planks or just grief with a sledgehammer. So with the outpost being to close to any of the towns might be a problem. But I'll keep an open mind and see what more people think about the outpost's location.

Maybe you could put the ruins of Fort Lenning in the Farmhouse with the well, as like an easter egg for people who manage to make it out that far? Or maybe the Alive Inside Warehouse?

Mhmm, definitely gave some thought to putting a ruined Fort Lenning in the map (Only have to change the lore a bit, since the outpost was built to expand into Muldraugh, but it won't even be near Muldraugh, more like West Point). I wasn't sure but now that you mention it. The farmhouse with the well is definitely a pretty good location. And on top of that it could be like a second mall, having a large horde guarding pretty good loot.

And a recommendation for an event, maybe you could have a Outpost Rose person captured in -insert location here- and a group of bandits guarding him, and Outpost Rose sends in a group to rescue the captive?

Like the rescue mission but with bandits instead of zombies, I like it. Definitely.

I will update the OP soon with all these changes. Keep the ideas/suggestions coming xD.

Sounds like a great server. Count me in!  :cool:

Love the thought you've put into the events; shows you really care about the experience that the players have whilst on the server.

Awesomesoomesommee!

Another place I just thought of for the Outpost, maybe use the Diner next to the trailer park? I can see maybe having stairs leading up to the roof with a watch tower area on top, and a storage area out back? Just a suggestion.

I like how the diner already has some high fences and dumpsters. Right now I'm trying to see if what you can currently construct will be enough to construct the outpost from scratch. I do have the whole nine yards in mind, storage compartments, farming area, watch tower, and further room for expansion. The only thing I'm currently doubtful about is having rooms for people to settle in or spaces for people to build. It's currently not possible to make an actual safe heaven unless you have admins on 24/7 guarding it. Which is why I don't think it'll be safe for people to store their things at the outpost. I also don't want the outpost to look too empty which is why it might be better to pick a good building or two to build around and barricade (seems more realistic anyway). I'm also looking into modding (for better ways for survivors to protect their resources) and map editor (to make quick proto-types of the fort and outpost).

Sounds like a great server. Count me in!  :cool:

Love the thought you've put into the events; shows you really care about the experience that the players have whilst on the server.

Awesomesoomesommee!

That's the plan, welcome aboard xD.

Actually I think the diner is a better place for the outpost too, and we can use the small trailer park as housing for the area, though walling it off may be a bit to many resources so whoever owns whichever trailer could barricade it up to how they see fit as long as it does not mess with any other players trailers.

Actually I think the diner is a better place for the outpost too, and we can use the small trailer park as housing for the area, though walling it off may be a bit to many resources so whoever owns whichever trailer could barricade it up to how they see fit as long as it does not mess with any other players trailers.

So the thing about housing for other survivors within the outpost poses two issues. First, technically an outpost is a small position far away from the main force (fort Lenning), so starting out, the outpost needs to be small. And second, Though survivors will be welcome to settle where ever they want (even around the outpost), there is currently the issue of safeguarding your stored loot. I personally can't assure that someone's storage/stash won't be looted (specially since someone with an axe and sledgehammer can just push through anything really). And considering the fact that you spawn near the outpost, any settled-in survivor's belongings will most likely be the first thing to get looted. So the outpost will primarily be built with the events in mind and not housing for survivors. This would change if I can get a safeguarding protection mod going or its added to the game. 

I definitely would like to join in on this, count me in!

welcome aboard xD.

I definitely would like to join in on this, count me in!

Welcome aboard xD.

Count me in. I own a server box in my residence that I will be willing to donate free time, towards this idea, but I'm also more than happy to donate.

Welcome aboard xD. Interesting, I'll pm you so we can talk some more.

I am totally in. When do you think the server will be up and ready for action? If it is already and I'm just dumb (lol) how can i be added to the whitelist?

awesome and welcome xD. As for the server, possibly at some point within the next week or two. Initially starting out with something small for everyone to playtest.

I will be announcing here somewhat soon when people can start providing me either through a post here or private message what username and password they would like to have reserved, along with any guidelines that must be followed.

forgot this last week:D ... count me in

Glad to know you're still interested. Welcome xD.

I like the idea of the softcore-rp. I would like to be a part of this as well.

Welcome xD.

SERVER PROGRESS AND WHITELIST UPDATE

On a separate note, work is still going into making this server a reality. Its very possible an announcement will be made this week or next week for when the server is up and running. There will be some changes to the OP with an updates section and a few other areas. I will try to also pm those people who have shown interest in case they don't get notified by the post. And lastly, for anyone that has an awesome username they want to reserve, feel free to pm me with the username and password you want.

Know that for the time being the only guideline for usernames is you must have a full name (first and last) and you can include a nickname in quotes (comprehensible and letters only).

- John "The Joker" Davis

That however is up for discussion, if everyone likes this rule for the whitelist then will go with it but if people want less/more restriction let's hear it.

Sounds like an awesome server! I'll definitely want to try it out when it's up.

I have this dream of creating a survival camp out of a neighborhood, like block one in, and everyone has their own gardens in their backyards and stuff; kinda like Woodbury, from the Walking Dead. Haven't found a good server where I can accomplish this, however. 

I have this dream of creating a survival camp out of a neighborhood, like block one in, and everyone has their own gardens in their backyards and stuff; kinda like Woodbury, from the Walking Dead. Haven't found a good server where I can accomplish this, however. 

I definitely think a lot of PZ players have wanted to do similar things in-game. The problem however is that in the series the people at Woodbury lived there and there were guards 24/7. That's literally what it takes to safeguard a place full of gardens and other goods in PZ multiplayer right now. That's just not very feasible or enjoyable (imagine if your role in a group was to be guard and you had set times to log in and stand guard, not very fun eh?), there's always got to be some balance between fun (its a game) and simulation (realism). So I think unless locking mechanisms (for containers and doors) and traps against players (or NPC guards?) are implemented it'll be hard to avoid having a "Woodbury"-like place from getting ransacked often, especially when admins are offline.

You might have gotten the idea that "The Outpost" will be like a Woodbury (and if not I'll clarify anyways). But since we can't have guards 24/7 and there is only 2 admins thus far, there won't be any loot stored at the outpost or spaces given to people to settle in. It'll be barricaded fairly well, have some farming patches (gardens) that anyone can tend to, and one or two rain barrels. It'll be mainly aesthetic and serve as a spawn location and for the majority of events.

Now, that's not to say we'll stop people from settling in. If the survivors are willing to make the outpost their home, they'll have the admins' protection (if there any online). But it will still be primarily up to the outpost dwellers to protect their claims (so no one goes complaining to us when their home gets looted).

I definitely think a lot of PZ players have wanted to do similar things in-game. The problem however is that in the series the people at Woodbury lived there and there were guards 24/7. That's literally what it takes to safeguard a place full of gardens and other goods in PZ multiplayer right now. That's just not very feasible or enjoyable (imagine if your role in a group was to be guard and you had set times to log in and stand guard, not very fun eh?), there's always got to be some balance between fun (its a game) and simulation (realism). So I think unless locking mechanisms (for containers and doors) and traps against players (or NPC guards?) are implemented it'll be hard to avoid having a "Woodbury"-like place from getting ransacked often, especially when admins are offline.

You might have gotten the idea that "The Outpost" will be like a Woodbury (and if not I'll clarify anyways). But since we can't have guards 24/7 and there is only 2 admins thus far, there won't be any loot stored at the outpost or spaces given to people to settle in. It'll be barricaded fairly well, have some farming patches (gardens) that anyone can tend to, and one or two rain barrels. It'll be mainly aesthetic and serve as a spawn location and for the majority of events.

Now, that's not to say we'll stop people from settling in. If the survivors are willing to make the outpost their home, they'll have the admins' protection (if there any online). But it will still be primarily up to the outpost dwellers to protect their claims (so no one goes complaining to us when their home gets looted).

I was just saying how cool it'd be. Plus, I've played on other large servers where survivor camps have been established so it's not impossible or 'unenjoyable.' I understand your point, however. It would be difficult to defend, but it's fun to try, even if it doesn't last long. :D