Well that was unpleasant.

Tomwa

I walked to the grocery store near my apartment and upon exiting was approached by a large man in a van, he asked for money I said I didn't have any and proceeded to start walking home.

He followed.

He continued to do so repeatedly pitching me his story about how he needs money until I have him $5 and he FINALLY left me alone. I don't think my female roommate would appreciate it if I brought him home.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A beard and a hint of aggression usually solves it for me. Depends on your own arsenal though I suppose. Calling the police or the legitimate threat thereof is effective. Not always though in any case, I guess it is one of life's mysteries in the end.

Did you rightfully tell him to fuck off? Thats absurd and no one should be harassed for money.

Yeah, generally it's best not to antagonize the very creepy guy who seems keen on finding out where you live.

Might cause problems.

Future problems.

But you already have a problem, in truth would you not feel worse after caving in and knowing that he just tested your own resolve and you could not withstand it? As a mortal man I can certainly attest to the fact that both parties in any criminal enterprise always have nerves, and to a guy like that when you give in to a demand it just reinforces his own troubling behaviour and gives him the courage to take it further and further and further every time, not to say with you, but with others, potentially more vulnerable others.

Why Rathlord is that a hint of agreement I am detecting? (tophat)

Certainly you must concur that combatative people tend to be more of a hassle to shake down?

EDIT: Ninja'd by EG, @EG; I certainly understand the drive for self preservation, but in a civilization surely the law enforcement apparatus is there for this exact reason. It is not like it is outside the bounds of your rights to request assistance, as inconvenient as I am certain it feels in such a relatively low-profile incident?

Edited by Viceroy

*IF* he is sane then at least the chances are good you won't get stabbed over like 5 dollars. However my keen senses detect that it might very well not be the case with this individual. Thus I shall relent, indeed crazy people tend to be crazy.

Of course this means in hindsight I should have reported the incident, but hey. :D

My uncle once was approached in the parking lot after work. The guy didn't even say anything - he just started stabbing my uncle. Luckily he survived.

I probably wouldn't give my money to someone who is *just* annoying - I'd probably call the police instead if he'd keep following me. If the situation is more threatening I'd think twice about what I'm fighting for. The money in my wallet is hardly worth losing my life for.

Eh, it's hard to blame pacifists for the future of the criminal taking advantage.

Me, however...

Watch out, we got a badass over here.

@EG:

lol Yes that is my thinking also, and I am certain the likes of you can sneak a photo whilst *texting* to aid law enforcement, unless you are going incognito with perceived wealth. This all runs into conjecture without the specifics of the particular incident though so I shan't go into it too verbosely. I guess it boils down to "Do something unless your instincts are sensing an imminent beat-down"

@Random people:

Pepper-spray with dye is also just top-stuff if you are anticipating it, I really recommend it, especially for the ladies because it helps with identification as well, mind you it is a stream more than a 'spray' so if you plan to carry it, do yourselves a favour and take an extra can to practice using it properly.

Edited by Viceroy

Hmm if he came at you you could always defend yourself and I think that holds up in court if not oh well he cant sue you! because he has no money (mind the 5 dollars) >~> also i wouldn't let anyone touch my hard earned money i would go down fighting even though i have never had this situation before and if it came to it I run long distance so good luck catching me! :D

Erm on a more serious note I would probably not give him the money.

Call police, keep walking, preferably to a public building or business that has multiple exits, if said building is unavailable, don't slow down, but do not run. When you run it gives them a clear indication of fear, which will also tire you out pointlessly, so that if said person does get a hold of you, your not so tired that you can't push them away.

I've had my own versions of some of the scenarios above me. I once had an irate driver get out of his vehicle after cutting ME off, and attempted to hit me multiple times. Thankfully, I was able to move out of the way of the first couple of strikes, and he ended up driving off. I did not have the sense at that moment to call the police to report him, so I can certainly sympathize if you've ended up in a similar situation and did not manage to have enough of your wits left to report said person. Now, I carry a "tool" in my car, that if I ever find myself in said situation again, I will not be utterly helpless.  Worth noting, my car's driver side door did not open at the time.

I walked to the grocery store near my apartment and upon exiting was approached by a large man in a van, he asked for money I said I didn't have any and proceeded to start walking home.

He followed.

[...]

sounds like a run with berlins subway