Bandwidth/Memory usage of server

jass0

For many people, it would be helpful to know how resource intensive the server is.

Has anyone measured he process' bandwidth and memory usage for X number of clients? Theoretical approximations by developers are welcome as well :)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

5GB for 32 players? I have a totally different experience. For me, the server event hits the 12GB mark with only 10 people on. I have to admit though, that I spawned many Zeds around the map when it hit this value. 

The strange thing is, that I limited the server to 6GB and it could still eat up the whole RAM (I have 16GB in my root, but ~4GB are reserved by other programms).

Even a pretty fresh server eats up my RAM pretty fast (no Zed-spawning involved here).

Is there something wrong on my end? Should I completely delete everything and start from scratch? Would like to hear from other server-admins.

My Server:

• i5-3450
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • 1GBit connection
  • Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

It's very easy to hit the 12 GB cap by spawning zombies in groups of 10,000. I got to around 60,000 on mine before I used up most of my RAM.

It'll also kill your bandwidth, as they collide initially.

Otherwise, no idea what could be causing it. Most servers I only put up for a few hours (and occasionally forget all night), for 3-4 people to quickly get on and test something. They appear to remain stable for me, on Windows.

I run a 32 player server, and the RAM usage seems to go up and never stop, until it reaches the heapstack limit that is defined in your .bat.

Same also happened for me with minecraft, wich also uses java.

So I think this has something to do with java and how it uses RAM.
It might not even be necessary to give the server more then 4GB, but I still give it more because I have the RAM.

I run a 32 player server, and the RAM usage seems to go up and never stop, until it reaches the heapstack limit that is defined in your .bat.

Same also happened for me with minecraft, wich also uses java.

So I think this has something to do with java and how it uses RAM.

It might not even be necessary to give the server more then 4GB, but I still give it more because I have the RAM.

With up to 32 players you most definitely do or your server is heading for a crash. Player count does seem to directly tie into RAM usage and crashing, but the program can limit itself when it hits the cap however it will play an effect on the performance of the server in relation of the server.