Vehicle-Related Questions.

Ideacake

Hello!

I just have a few questions for the devs about vehicles and such.

1: What are priorities concerning vehicles? I personnally think they should be high on the list, considering some places on the map (Such as the mall, or transit between West Point and Muldraugh) are incredibly far away and can take hours of real time to get to walking. It is a incredibly realistic map and placement makes sense, but it can really get tedious and boring walking along a highway for an hour of RT.

2: Will they have cargo space? I really think that would be good, such as the trunk or the back of a pickup. It would be not only realistic but helpful as well.

3: Customization options? It would be cool to be able to modify or repair your vehicle. Repairing would definitely be a neat feature, like having to replace spark plugs, batteries, etc.

4: How rare would working cars be? It would be neat to find smashed up cars to loot, but what about functioning ones? And fuel? Currently, fuel is pretty rare. It shouldn't be as rare as it is once cars are a feature.

Thanks, and if anyone can answer these questions, please do!

3, I'm pretty sure they said something ages ago about having you find a car, and then realizing there's no battery and a "dynamic quest" type of scenario. So you could go get one or hold it off for the time being. I do dream of a lot of things they said so this might just be my imagination/hopes mixing with reality. :P

4, So for 4 I would assume if there were no batteries or anything else in them, rare to get working. Otherwise I know Lemmy said he'd love to have the highway packed with cars. And maybe they might not be working fully either. 

Having roads and highways full of run down cars would be and awesome gameplay enhancer, Just imagine walking down a road and finding a car crashed into a tree with bodies around it o.o That would be awesome, And what if they could randomize it? so it's a rare event that happens. You walk up to the crashed car and start looting it when suddenly the alarm goes off and dozens of zombies start coming out of the woods  :P I WANT VEHICLES NOW!

How far into the apocalypse does the game start? Because fuel goes bad after a while if it isn't stored in airtight containers (the tank is not).

If the fuel has gone bad already, it'll be impossible to operate a car, without removing the bad fuel. And I have no idea how to do that.

How far into the apocalypse does the game start? Because fuel goes bad after a while if it isn't stored in airtight containers (the tank is not).

If the fuel has gone bad already, it'll be impossible to operate a car, without removing the bad fuel. And I have no idea how to do that.

I think it's supposed to be a week after the initial "outbreak". 

This might be a good idea for longer games if you live over a year, but I'm thinking once we get the sadistic AI, NPCs, full migration etc. it wouldn't be as easy of a task as it is now. Regular unleaded gasoline takes usually about 6-12 months to go "stale" and it will start clogging up the pipes. Maybe this could be simulated somehow so that cars that haven't been used or filled in a year (for gameplay/fun I think it should be longer) would have a higher chance of breaking. A sort of a similar flag as with food rotting. Changing the fuel and succesfully driving for a while could eliminate the threat.

However, I think it's a pretty minimal gain compared to the time it would probably take to code, so I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for it.

I like the idea of cars but i think its just to much with the road between towns most likely having tons of wrecks. Why not add bikes and skate boards?or scooters!

Bikes will also probably be added. One does not exclude the other.

Yeah, I will very likely stick to bikes unless I form a group with NPC's. Gonna need a car to transport many people.

I think if cars are limited by fuel (as they should) we should be able to convert them to run on alcohol and be able to produce alcohol through farming. This would have course rely on mechanical and agricultural (cooking, even?) skills, not something you do on day one.