I like the mall as much as the next guy but...

ZeroTheHero

OK, let me just make it crystal clear that I think this game has a fantastic potential and I love the new map even though it isn't really going to affect my gaming noteworthy at the moment. It's far too long to walk and it's too dangerous to be of any use other than an action filled kamikaze run.

Why do they release "meaningless" updates like this? The map was big enough for alpha/beta stage as it was. Work on important stuff like implementing NPC's, means of goods transportation and other stuff that will massively move the game towards completion. First create and implement the different parts, then tweak and balance the stuff, then additional stuff like expanded maps and whatnot.

With the current state of the game and modding possibilities provided the community has enough to fool around with until the next major release which, ideally, should be a proper release candidate.

Tip about weapon balance;

Historically the hammer was the most effective weapon since it was first used as a weapon. Especially popular against plated armors but it's damn effective against skin and clothes as well, naturally. Axes and bladed weapons might look impressive but they also have a nasty habit of getting stuck in the victim. Lastly, damage should mostly be dependent on the wielder and not the tool... it's the power and accuracy behind the swing, jab or thrust that matters.

OK, let me just make it crystal clear that I think this game has a fantastic potential and I love the new map even though it isn't really going to affect my gaming noteworthy at the moment. It's far too long to walk and it's too dangerous to be of any use other than an action filled kamikaze run.

Why do they release "meaningless" updates like this? The map was big enough for alpha/beta stage as it was. Work on important stuff like implementing NPC's, means of goods transportation and other stuff that will massively move the game towards completion. First create and implement the different parts, then tweak and balance the stuff, then additional stuff like expanded maps and whatnot.

With the current state of the game and modding possibilities provided the community has enough to fool around with until the next major release which, ideally, should be a proper release candidate.

Tip about weapon balance;

Historically the hammer was the most effective weapon since it was first used as a weapon. Especially popular against plated armors but it's damn effective against skin and clothes as well, naturally. Axes and bladed weapons might look impressive but they also have a nasty habit of getting stuck in the victim. Lastly, damage should mostly be dependent on the wielder and not the tool... it's the power and accuracy behind the swing, jab or thrust that matters.

You have a point.

You're probably new around the forums, so welcome !

Each dev work on his/her tasks, which means the things you judge important are being constantly worked on. X or Y update/feature being released before the fundamental ones only means they required less work  -and therefore have been finished earlier- than the said fundamental feature(s).

Plus, the map is going to be HUGE (which is one of the fundamental features of the game) and it won't be possible to make it all at once, hence some groups of cells being released once in a while when they're done. It pleases us, to see the map-work progress and being able to play on it.

Also, it might feel like a "useless kamikaze run" if you play SP, but I can assure you it's an oasis for MP. Servers get entirely looted in less than a week!

About the melee weapons :
It's going to be tweaked, but damages will always depend on the weapon + character skills, which makes total sense. Hit someone once with a bat, then hit someone once with an axe ; the end result won't be the same.
The hammers you're talking about were warhammers specially concieved for battle, it's not the same thing as a hammer you bought in your closest hardware store to nail stuff together. Plus, considering you have to bash through zombified skulls, you have approximatively as much (if not more) chance to get your hammer stuck into the skull compared to any other weapon ! Even tho, blades and thrusting weapons being slicker it would probably be easier to take them out.

Yeah, screw you Mash, artist on Project Zomboid, for not contributing java code toward the NPCs which you have absolutely no knowledge of, and instead designing and building the map which is the primary thing you do on the game.

Some people.

No, I was talking about hammers as the warhammers came after the hammers. And the damage calculation, which is very typical RPG style, doesn't make that much sense realistically. Either way, it can be tweaked with a text file so I'm not going further into that discussion. If you like it, fine, I'll respect your view.

I assumed different dev's worked on different parts, but that doesn't mean they could collaborate and focus their work from time to time. I've been a lurker at these forums for quite a while and I feel that the devs are busy keeping everyone here satisfied with minor tweaks and implementing mods into the official build. That's obviously admirable, but I'm just saying that I would prefer they stopped throwing the community minor bones for now and get the thing properly ready. That is MY opinion, you're free to disagree.

EDIT:

@lemmy101

It takes a week to learn the vital basics of java code if you do it on your own with a book/document to guide you. It'll take a day or two if you're sitting next to a proficient coder. You're also misinterpreting my point entirely, I was criticizing the community for demanding those little bones instead of letting you focus on the bigger issues.

@deprav Yes I only play singleplayer because there is one huge factor about multiplayer that will make it suck regardless; the human factor.

No, I was talking about hammers as the warhammers came after the hammers. And the damage calculation, which is very typical RPG style, doesn't make that much sense realistically. Either way, it can be tweaked with a text file so I'm not going further into that discussion. If you like it, fine, I'll respect your view.

I assumed different dev's worked on different parts, but that doesn't mean they could collaborate and focus their work from time to time. I've been a lurker at these forums for quite a while and I feel that the devs are busy keeping everyone here satisfied with minor tweaks and implementing mods into the official build. That's obviously admirable, but I'm just saying that I would prefer they stopped throwing the community minor bones for now and get the thing properly ready. That is MY opinion, you're free to disagree.

EDIT:

@lemmy101

It takes a week to learn the vital basics of java code if you do it on your own with a book/document to guide you. It'll take a day or two if you're sitting next to a proficient coder.

@deprav Yes I only play singleplayer because there is one huge factor about multiplayer that will make it suck regardless; the human factor.

do you not seem to understand there working on other games to, this is not the only game here.  

EDIT:

@lemmy101

It takes a week to learn the vital basics of java code if you do it on your own with a book/document to guide you. It'll take a day or two if you're sitting next to a proficient coder.

And it takes a huge amount of time to do only a single cell of the map nice and properly.

She is an artist. She is doing art stuff.

I'm glad, that there is at least one dedicated person working for the map (nearly) all day, 'cause it is simply so huge, i even think it will be the critical factor for game release if they keep on expanding the cell amount.

You seem to underestimate the effort on creating the gameworld in detail.

And even if mash would start coding..

.. not everyone (or every developer [no offense]) is eligibil in creating artistic stuff like the map, so it can't be done by the whole team after finishing code development.

Rather than continue this discussion, I'm just going to do three things:
1) refer you to the one we had two days ago;
2) make a very simple point; and,
3 then lock this thread.

1) http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/8835-sowhen-are-we-going-to-get-a-medical-system-overhaul/#entry114288
2) None of us have the ability to determine the priority of tasks on this game. At some point, it's necessary to trust the developers do their job and develop this game -- if that means the map gets expanded before a really kickass hammer is added to the game, then we'll just have to wait for the addition of that hammer before we can really kick those nail's asses, while enjoying the development of that map. It'll get there, otherwise none of us would still be here.
3) Fin.

Telling a professional game artist that she should learn to code because you don't appreciate her work is... beyond sickening. That devalues everything she's done for the game, and makes no sense at all to boot. Artists are artists, and some people don't (or can't) learn to code. Not everyone's mind works like that- and not everyone needs to be a programmer, even on a small team. Mash covers many roles, but one of them is not now, nor need ever be coding. Her artwork is amazing, she's active in the community and doing PR work for TIS, etc.

Archived