Should I stay or should I go now

Dillerin

Should I stay of should I go now?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you stay near your spawn to build up a safehouse before venturing onward?

Welp, I am struggling getting anywhere other than dead.  I really want to move around and find a great place to hold up for a while, but find it hard to manage what loot to take with me... maybe I should only carry empty containers and hope to fill them all with water once I find a place to call safehouse?   Seems all my water filled containers really hamper my load capacity.  I find myself leaving tons of food, and grabbing mostly sheets, nails, a hammer, a can opener, a weapon, various bags and reading material galore.  In the end I struggle to keep my load at a decent limit as to not be overloaded.  Should I be ditching most everything and just bolt for a nice new location that I feel comfortable making into a safehouse?  Or should I be staying in the neighborhood I've spawned in and slowly aquiring goods from the neighboring houses and accumulate supplies like a pack rat only leaving once all has been looted in the area? Do you like to replay on the same save that you died previously on in hopes of finding your previous body to loot it?  Or is that only a good strategy once you've built up a considerable safehoue?

I just don't know, I guess if I had to ask one question to be answered, Should I stay near spawn location or go elsewhere fast? 

Welp, I am struggling getting anywhere other than dead.  I really want to move around and find a great place to hold up for a while, but find it hard to manage what loot to take with me... maybe I should only carry empty containers and hope to fill them all with water once I find a place to call safehouse?   Seems all my water filled containers really hamper my load capacity.  I find myself leaving tons of food, and grabbing mostly sheets, nails, a hammer, a can opener, a weapon, various bags and reading material galore.  In the end I struggle to keep my load at a decent limit as to not be overloaded.  Should I be ditching most everything and just bolt for a nice new location that I feel comfortable making into a safehouse?  Or should I be staying in the neighborhood I've spawned in and slowly aquiring goods from the neighboring houses and accumulate supplies like a pack rat only leaving once all has been looted in the area? Do you like to replay on the same save that you died previously on in hopes of finding your previous body to loot it?  Or is that only a good strategy once you've built up a considerable safehoue?

I just don't know, I guess if I had to ask one question to be answered, Should I stay near spawn location or go elsewhere fast? 

First and formost.

Your safehouse, how safe is it? Have you invested nails on barricades or in rain barrels? If so, why do you want to move?

Where is your safehouse at? In downtown? Residential area? Residential area away near downtown? How far do you plan to travel?

How much loot is around you right now? Have you looted every house? 

For me when i have to travel, i always carry atleast 2 bottles of water if i need to go to a very far location, always carry chips with you since they dont weight that much and they dont spoil.

Canned food is good for the safehouse but not so much for traveling, carry a dufflebag, if you dont carry the biggest bag you can and fill it with some food, water and atleast a weapon as a hammer.

You could carry sheets but i dont recommend it, they weight a lot and are not useful at all, you are better off scavaging for some in your soon to be new safehouse.

You wont need reading material, the undead will give you plent of fun for the meantime, just try not to smoke.

The motives of moving out of a safehouse is:

-Because i looted everything around it and i need to really move out

-A ton of zombies are near it (has never happen to me before)

-I feel bored and need to find zombies just cause

A safehouse you shouldnt leave is the one you invested in barricades and construction, others are just temp safehouses.

Depends on your circumstances. I've spawned in houses with hordes around them before, and few things get you moving faster :P

It sounds like you're trying to take too much with you at once when moving out. Two bottles of water, some food to tie you over, a hammer/one of any rare tools you may have and a box of nails should be all you need to start up a new safehouse.

Remember to use what you find in situ rather than relying on what you bring with you. Food and water can be easily found, even when the power and water are out. Non-perishable food will still be there, and every tap/toilet/bath has a few charges left in the pipes. In a pinch, you can haul buckets/pots of water from nearby houses back to your safehouse to tie you over until you get rain collectors up. Don't forget, especially in singleplayer, your original safehouse will still be there when you get back. The only thing that will crap out over time is crops. Your loot will be safe. Skillbooks that you've already read can stay where they are.

I'd say, take your standard loot-run loadout, then just add a few extras. Rare and valuable items/tools that you'll need at your destination, but are unlikely to find. If you've got a hammer, axe and some nails, you can immediately start fortifying a house once you get there, and the axe isn't really needed. It just makes smashing doors for planks easier.

I'm oscar mike mostly, until I find a special place to make my home

but I never make one of the default spawns my home, always look for a bigger one with lots of possibilities for me to make it a fort and to garden. plus I like running wild

I've only been playing for the past couple of weeks, and really hadn't much time to spend learning the game mechanics fully.  Since I had recently gotten my xbox controller and a joystick button mapper, I've managed to make this game a whole heck of a lot easier to play! 

Originally I couldn't get very far from my spawn home, I was too scared to do much, but now that I got zed head bashing down a bit, I find myself running off into the wild as Walther put it. 

I'm really wanting to venture out to site see, and I feel that my wieght limits prevent me from wanting to search every house on the block as I'm likely to leave it all behind anyway...  so I either end up sitting around doing little of anything until my guy gets bored and I read a book, or I make a run for it, dodge as many zeds as I can, take down the loners and hop into a home to hide out in once I grow tired or it gets dark.  Get some fresh water and food, sleep and run off again...  I hadn't really reviewed the map of the city yet, I been letting myself get lost as I run off in whatever direction, perhaps getting a lay of the land will help move me to a place I think I'd want to set up an actual safehouse that I finally put some construction into.  ...   

My safehouse is always a big 2 story building (mostly in urban areas a motel or shop 2nd level).

If you have the strong perk (which I recommend always due the increased load you can carry AND you can climb sheet ropes upwards! ) lay a sheet rope somewhere out of your safehouse and destroy the stairs as this will result in a perfect safe place with no chance that Zeds can get in (yet).

Edit:

As for the poll, I just grab everything useful (food for 3 days, a water bottle, a bag to shoulder and a second one if normal or big hiking backpack are present, a swing weapon and a stab weapon, a saw/axe/hammer/nails whatever I come across and every carpentry book once)

I then just run wherever I wanna go (pre-planned already on map). Drop the bag near safehouse and then q-running around the nearby horde luring them a good way apart my new safehouse, mostly running near hardwarestores to get a sledgehammer for stair destruction (damn these are hard to find). After acquiring a sledgehammer running back in circles and through most houses I find to leave the (insane) large horde behind me. Destroy the stairs fast, grab the bag and climb up.

I usually start a game knowing where i want to place my safehouses and i mostly take some sheets, water, chips and weapons. If i've managed to get a good bag then i take some cooking tools (pots, knife, bowls...). Also i take all the skill books that i can found in my way to the future safehouse. Always check the bodies for any axe. If you want to play safe and dig a fortress, you usually need a 2 floor building with open areas to farm and upgrade your carpentry.

Archived