Clearing the Mall

MacSupreMe

For those who have found the mall, who has started trying to clear it?

The place is huge and packed with zed, anyone having any luck? have any suggestions?

One thing that I've noticed right off the hop is that the stairs are a death trap. You need to draw zed away from the stairs, they're bunched up on the landings and going up without drawing them out is a death trap.

Has anyone gotten onto the roof? Is it accessible?

OFFTOPIC

(Guess how i died? - falling from the 2nd floor)

On-Topic

Get a shotgun, round hem up, and start the fireworks.

Shot Gun will only get you so far. The sound alone will have you overwhelmed in no time. I'd love for one of the Devs to give us a rough idea how many zed they roughly put in there. Cause honestly it seems like there are thousands tens of thousands of them. Being sneaky works but one wrong turn and your toast.

This needs to be a new challenge mode. just throw you into the mall with an axe and try to survive as long as possible.

(Sawnoff!) Shotgun seems like your best bet. If you've ever done any horde cleaning/management, you should be all right. Just remember that your ammo supply is FINITE, and the number of zombies is essentially INFINITE. Thinning their numbers out with buckshot is all well and good, but it's more a side effect of using a very loud noisemaker to pull the zombies away from the area you want to take over. Just remember where you leave the horde to avoid any nasty accidents in the future.

Once the tidal-wave of zeds has subsided a bit, then comes the long, tedious process of calling zombies over one-by-one to start cracking skulls.

I wonder if it'd be feasible to make an elevated safehouse very close to the mall entrance. Load it with farming supplies and the like, then extend a walkway over to the roof or whatever. Put S-bends in the path to cause zeds to fall off. Hmm...

DISCLAIMER: I have never been to the mall. At least, not yet. Having a multiplayer group attempt to claim and clean the building could be an awesome project though :P

I like to feel that I have zombie clearing figured out by now.  I mostly play on insane pop and leave everything else alone.

So I started a standard survival game, got lucky and spawned at the construction site next to the Giga Mart.  Then while going through Twiggys I found a saw... and a sledge.  Cleaned out the are with a pistol and tried to reload after every shot to get my skills up, and also to try and find an ax on a zed.  Mission accomplished on both ends.  So early the next morning I loaded up a 10 boxes of shottie ammo, two bottles of water, couple bags of chips and headed out early to go find this mall. 

On my way I stayed the night at the race track, and helped myself to the fridge since the power was still on.  Ol Bilbo McBaginzes enjoyed the last fresh corndog in the world.  In the morning I made my way to the threater and poked around in the place, restocked my chips.  Found a hammer and a couple boxes of nails along which I took figuring I could use them to wall off portions of the mall if need be.

The next morning I cut my way across the parking lot which felt very familiar to playing on insane pop.  I mostly just herded and group blasted with the shottie, no big deal.

Once inside the mall I got into a room with some crates, stairs going up, and elevator and three rooms.  Lots of zed,  Called them outside and let the ax to my talking.  Got into the building feeling pretty good about myself.  So I headed upstairs... into the most dense hord I have ever seen outside of me herding.  Luckly I made it back down the stairs and put on my shottie.  I went near the corner to the ouside that I had cleared and blasted three shots.  Then my back door got flooded  O.o.  Where did those guys come from?  So I scrambled over to the other door to have it burst down and another huge hord streamed in from there...  Had 4 rounds left in the shottie... think I got 3 off before the dinner bell of doom rang out for sweet Bilbo.

O hell yeah, its on now.  This is gonna be super fun.  Just wish it was not so far out of the way.

I'm doing very well at the mall.

I'm currently using the Movie Theatre as my base and have cleared out the car park to make it a painless trip back and forth.

I've cleared most of the bottom floor of the mall (as far as I know...) using a combination of Pistol, Shotgun and Fireaxe.

I feel a little cheap in doing so, but I've found that you can attack zombies through the "fenced" windows at the main entrance, effectively giving yourself a shield. You can still be harmed by crawlers though, so be careful!

Tonight I'll be moving upstairs. Wish me luck! 

You can get on top of the roof. There are multiple areas where you can get on. There is a service entrance leading to a staircase on the end that I'm overlooking. This is the ideal penetration point. You just have to be wary of Zed. The rooms are relatively small.

Bring a couple bags of dirt a tent and you could start farming on the roof and clearing out the zeds below.

This place has everything. Even a massive pharmacy with everything you need.

post-12475-0-16078600-1402417128_thumb.p

OFFTOPIC

(Guess how i died? - falling from the 2nd floor)

On-Topic

Get a shotgun, round hem up, and start the fireworks.

Shot Gun will only get you so far. The sound alone will have you overwhelmed in no time. I'd love for one of the Devs to give us a rough idea how many zed they roughly put in there. Cause honestly it seems like there are thousands of them. Being sneaky works but one wrong turn and your toast.

This needs to be a new challenge mode. just throw you into the mall with an axe and try to survive as long as possible.

Mmmmm, toast.... Oh yeah, it does sound like a death trap, but I haven't been there yet :I

Its even crazier when a freaking helicopter keeps flying around the place turning all the zeds intoa mobile hoard. It actually saved my ass though in the long run.

I can imagine it... Next minute, you've taken over half the mall, next... You've been breached!

I can imagine it... Next minute, you've taken over half the mall, next... You've been breached!

I have yet to be breached from the outside but there were quite a few from within. I've secured my entire corner and I'm currently moving the bodies outside (LOVING THE MOVE CORPSE FEATURE). The great thing is there are two beds on the second floor of the corner. I've put up some walls to keep zed from getting in. I'll probably be expanding out into the main mall area soon. Starting with the top floor and will work my way down. I think my best bet will be to secure to the stairs then build walls around them so I can completely clear a floor without zed making their way back up. There are enough supplies in this place to last a long time. I'll only need to traverse outside to get dirt. Then I can start farming on the roof.

I've gone through about 5 characters now... For some reason though I have yet to find their bodies. I'm starting to wonder if the game isn't saving them.

Slowly but surely taking over... I've noticed too that there are a lot of Zeds in this place stuck in walls. There is so much in this place when it comes to design. You'll have walls put up for show that essentially make mini rooms with no entrence or exit that the zeds have spawned in.

post-12475-0-35253300-1402506266_thumb.p

I'm not sure what happened to Zed, I think it may have been the helicopter but they've completely abandoned the north west section of the mall. I'm taking over and securing small sections as I move along. All the zeds outside seemed to have taken off to the northeast at some point in time, allowing me a pretty clear walk to the trees. What started off as an incredibly hard going plan has become relatively easy.

post-12475-0-21692000-1402514697_thumb.p

I've managed to kill about 500 of the zombies living in the mall, and there are still loads more, especially in back rooms and hallways.  All of my weapons broke, so I gave up on trying to use one and killed most of them with my bare hands.  Need to watch out for crawlers though.  I got scratched by one and thought I was infected, but it was just a fake infection (curse you hypochondriac)!  Another thing to be careful of is the roof, there isn't anything to stop you from falling.  The "second floor" is actually 3 floors up in most places, this includes the roof.

I've found a trowel, spade, multiple saws and hammers, but I've yet to find a single axe or any type of sand or gravel bag...  With all the corpses lying around you'd think there would be a few.  Some of the bodies do have pistols though.

I think the biggest problem I ran into was food, I couldn't get to anything in the food court due to the massive amounts of zombies there. I guess in that regard the zombies are really the major issue.  I had to filter all of them out into the open and slowly pick them off one at a time (took me at least 10 minutes at one point).  If you go to the mall you can expect a lot of the rooms and stores to be filled with zombies.