Timeout downloading zip error.

Cardozz

Hi there.

I've been tracking down Google, Project Zomboid forums, Reddit etc. but I am still unable to solve the Timeout downloading zip issue while joining a multiplayer server (via Public Servers).

I was able to connect ONCE to a server in USA, but it lagged me out.

Now I've tried many things and basically ALL things I could have found on Google etc. I forwarded the default port correctly (verified by PortChecker), but it seems like i just get denied by something..

I strongly have the feeling it's either something inbetween my computer and my router blocking something, or it's some sort of bug in the PZ client. I'd really like to check out multiplayer.

Is the dev. team working on this issue? Is there any hotfix for this? Is there something I can do? I mean, if it's my computer or router, why are there many others having this issue and am I able to connect to other game servers without any issue?

EDIT

I have been searching and found out that a timeout is mostly caused by a connection that is either denied or unsuccesfully established. Refering to that, and with past experience with firewall issues, I digged deeper into my firewall.

For people with AVG-antivirus, THIS is the solution:

Just disabling firewall in the mini-tray icon list is not enough. It's AVG, this program will NEVER shut off at full ratio. With this in mind (as I knew this from previous experience) I knew it had eventually something to do with SOMETHING blocking the download. When you get the "timeout downloading zip" error, it's got to do something at your end blocking the connection.

To solve the issue:

1. Go to AVG-user panel (via mini-tray icon, lower-right corner). From there go to the tab "extra" and click Advanced settings.

2. Left in the menu, scroll down to the bottom. There you will find something called "Disable security for AVG temporarily", click on it.

3. Check the box that's saying: "Temporarily disable AVG security", and set the timer to max (15 minutes).

4. Open Project Zomboid and connect to a server. Now that AVG is FULLY disabled, the connection will not be blocked by it, and you will be able to connect with the server!

5. ENJOY!

6. The only downside however, is that you need to do disable it EVERY time you want to join a server.

(If you find it hard to understand my instructions, please follow this tutorial: www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-3857)

If you have another Anti-Virus program, consider to Google HOW TO DISABLE IT FULLY. I am 99% SURE it will fix the issue!

Edited by Cardozz

Not 100% sure what's going on for you there- are you making absolutely sure you're on the same build as the server? Have you tried connected to a server that's geologically close to where you're located? Have you tried reinstalling your game and removing the Zomboid folder in the /username/ directory (note, will erase your saves but it could be what's causing the problem)? Made sure you're not using any mods? Tried turning off your firewall/antivirus?

I am having this issue as well ever since build 27 #1, reinstalled, removed the zomboid folder to have it regenerate. Made sure the integrity is good, no firewall, all ports forwarded, no mods. Honestly a bit stumped, even just tried waiting, three hours later still nada.

Yes Rathlord, I tried that all. It did not solve the issue :(.

As a matter of fact, I was able to connect to an USA server once, while I live in Europe. I tried connecting to EU servers because they probably won't lag, but now I can't connect to any server.

It's saying I don't have an IPV6 connection.

However: I found the solution!

See first post!

@dev: can you change the topic name to [sOLVED] ? Thanks in advance.

If you post your solution in a new post, you can then hit 'mark solved' against it. It automatically updates the title, and puts the answer in a big green box at the top of the post.

I have been searching and found out that a timeout is mostly caused by a connection that is either denied or unsuccesfully established. Refering to that, and with past experience with firewall issues, I digged deeper into my firewall.

For people with AVG-antivirus, THIS is the solution:

Just disabling firewall in the mini-tray icon list is not enough. It's AVG, this program will NEVER shut off at full ratio. With this in mind (as I knew this from previous experience) I knew it had eventually something to do with SOMETHING blocking the download. When you get the "timeout downloading zip" error, it's got to do something at your end blocking the connection.

To solve the issue:

1. Go to AVG-user panel (via mini-tray icon, lower-right corner). From there go to the tab "extra" and click Advanced settings.

2. Left in the menu, scroll down to the bottom. There you will find something called "Disable security for AVG temporarily", click on it.

3. Check the box that's saying: "Temporarily disable AVG security", and set the timer to max (15 minutes).

4. Open Project Zomboid and connect to a server. Now that AVG is FULLY disabled, the connection will not be blocked by it, and you will be able to connect with the server!

5. ENJOY!

6. The only downside however, is that you need to do disable it EVERY time you want to join a server.

(If you find it hard to understand my instructions, please follow this tutorial: www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-3857)

If you have another Anti-Virus program, consider to Google HOW TO DISABLE IT FULLY. I am 99% SURE it will fix the issue!