Cannibalism, flashlights, etc

Bonesmccoy81

Hello,

Great game so far! I am enjoying it quite a bit and have some suggestions.

So I was out scavenging for food with out any luck. There was no food for miles and my hunger level had gotten very deadly. A fellow player passed by and greeted me. It was a welcome presence if not for my hunger. But then he asked me if I had any food, reminding me it. I was wanting to kill him so I could eat him and solve my problem but I couldn't. If faced with the moral dilemma between me or him dying from hunger, it would be him -some pun intended. Make newly dead players fresh meat, and zombies meat rotten. Is infected meat still infected if u cook it? Cannibalism would be pretty twisted but I think it will work well for this game.

Another thing is the flashlights, candles, lighters. I rarely use them at night because its still too dark. I understand that the game is suppose to be dark and creepy but What's the point of lighting a candle or finding batteries if its still going to be that dim and dark? Would be nice if you can crank up the brightness values on them for it to be beneficial. But I have to say lighting a campfire indoors looks amazing and feels just right.

A couple other things that are minor, would be looting. Currently you have to face the container to click it, maybe change it so as long as you are in the area you can loot it, like a within a certain radius? It would feel less tedious and more accessible.

And with the line of sight, you could darken behind the player more to contrast between vision and blindside. Would be nice to know when a zombie is directly behind you as well, because in real life you would definitely hear it and feel it when its on top of you. Like have a faded outline when its in range.

Again great game! I haven't been as excited as this for a game in a while!

+1 from me

cannibalism must be added. it would add so much to multiplayer! though there should be some kind of drawback to eating people. it would be great for high level cooking skill to allow you to cover the taste of human meat and remove the negative effect.

may be the negative effect is that it would cause your hunger to grow more rapidly the more you eat it.

eg: after eating the first human meat you are "well fed" for the normal duration. but after the second meal you are nourished for a shorter time. after the third you are nourished for the same duration but when you do become hungry, your hunger grows rapidly and you become angry!

I think this would convey the growing need for human flesh and the psychological effects.

***edit. it would also give purpose to taking prisoners and building prisons.

Yes! If amputation is added then eating the limbs should be possible.

And yes I agree there should be a negative side affect. You will be well fed but youll go insane after you eat human, making you do uncontrollable random actions. And if you eat to much you can become addicted, only human will satisy you :o

Yes at night I can see fine. The point of that suggestion is to actually make the flashlights more useful/needed/important. Right now currently, its kind of like having a Ferrari(flashlight) in my driveway but I dont use it because I can teleport(see fine at night). Make nights darker and lights brighter. Opposites should be distinct from one another.

I believe cannibalism is a confirmed, "not happening."

I searched the forums and its actually been suggested quite a few times. There is not a definite "NO" from the devs on this forum on the common suggestions list, though someone said they did say no a long time ago on the old forums. I haven't actually looked into the old forums but it seems this is/was a pretty hot topic.

If you're having real trouble dealing with the dark, turn shaders off. It makes the world a bit brighter, but detracts a bit from the atmosphere :P

In terms of light sources, I've never used candles, and lighters are mediocre, but kind've a must have item (RP aspect, fire, light, generally a nice item to have). If you're running singleplayer, just don't go out at night. Simple. In multiplayer, finding torches and a steady supply of batteries is a high priority for me, as the inability of you to sleep kinda requires it.

There's also lamp-posts (torch-on-a-stick) to craft, and they're brilliant for lighting up safehouse courtyards at night, but suck down the batteries. campfires work very well as a light source, not to mention the heat and cooking, but for the love of Spiffo, do NOT walk through the flames. Especially on multiplayer. We had someone set part of the safehouse courtyard on fire for a good hour of realtime on a friend's server the other day. Everytime you thought the fire was gone, it popped up elsewhere :P

As for cannibalism, just try scrounging harder for food. Quite a few houses have berry bushes out front (not to mention all the clumps out in the wild), and most players forget, or don't know, about them. -5 hunger isn't much, but it'll tie you over in a pinch. Carry a can opener at all times once you find one. And don't forget to eat little bits of your food at a time, not the whole thing! You'd be surprised how long you can stretch a jar of peanut butter in game.

Finally, remember you don't need to eat anything until you get the 'Hunger' moodle. 'Peckish' has no ill effects, and is mainly there to remind you to find some food soon.

A couple other things that are minor, would be looting. Currently you have to face the container to click it, maybe change it so as long as you are in the area you can loot it, like a within a certain radius? It would feel less tedious and more accessible.

Really? You can see what's in a container without looking into it? That's cool, I wish I knew you irl :o

Nah, seriously, the game should stay realistic, and that is, you have to be almost IN the crate to see what's in it....

There was a dismemberment mod in the earlier builds (0.2.0R or something like that) where you would use an axe on a human corpse to create 5 bodypart items, and then you could roast and eat them (:D)

It would be cool to see that be reimplemented :D

Really? You can see what's in a container without looking into it? That's cool, I wish I knew you irl :o

Nah, seriously, the game should stay realistic, and that is, you have to be almost IN the crate to see what's in it....

Most major games you can loot when near a corpse or container. Its accessible to new players, especially when there's so much. Why wouldn't you want more people playing PZ instead of quitting do to repetitiveness? Do you really need to stick your head directly in the box to loot? Maybe you do but not everyone is like that. What are you an ostrich?

If you're having real trouble dealing with the dark, turn shaders off. It makes the world a bit brighter, but detracts a bit from the atmosphere :P

I don't think you read the whole thread, just the OP huh? lol. Read the thread. I would also like to add about light/dark... reading speed should be increased during the day or around a light source, and lower dramatically without light. Right now I can read in the dark just fine. I must have Superman vision.

And you missed the whole point about hunger. I am not looking for obvious solutions to in game problems. What I want, and what everyone wants is a visceral experience. A story to tell. We want to feel and experience things in our games, things we can't in real life. Normally, I wouldn't eat a person. Normally, I wouldn't eat dog food. Normally, I wouldn't drink from the toilet. The more unique experiences I have the longer I will want to play, and tell my friends about it. I heard about this game mainly from word of mouth, from digging around on the internet, youtube etc from people who enjoyed it enough to talk about it. More people would talk about it if they had more stories to tell. Add cannibalism, though people don't have to know its in there. This game is about crafting so let us play and let us craft our own stories.

There was a dismemberment mod in the earlier builds (0.2.0R or something like that) where you would use an axe on a human corpse to create 5 bodypart items, and then you could roast and eat them ( :D)

It would be cool to see that be reimplemented :D

That sounds really cool way to craft, I wish they would add it. Even use bones for weapons or craft materials. I am a programmer and game designer so I know all the functionally is already there. So easy to implement. Regular gamers aren't going to go out and install mods, its a hassle.

Another thing I'd like to add is money. People have strong feelings about money. They either love it or think its evil. You find a wallet or purse(small container) you open it up. BAM YOURE RICH! Wait... its the zombie apocalypse.. Money will have no value besides crafting or burning as fuel. This money that you treasured so much and would never dare burn prior is now keeping you warm and you have all night to think about it. Money in the game represents the downfall of society.