The Trapping System

It would be real nice if we could all lead a table of some kind with how often we caught animals with which bait and which area, to get a general bait guide going on the WIKI. Only thing that worked for me so far : Peanut butter, Cereal - used 1 caught 2-4 mouse each time before bait was gone (with mouse trap) now thats not bad if you think about it Cereal only gives like -15 hunger, where 3 mice cooked give -60 in total i believe? You will need some anti-depressants tho ^^

Please let me know your findings with the baits and I will cook up a nice guide 8-)

Cheese and tomato's are good for mouse traps, but catching is definitely influenced by skill, as once I reached level 1 I was far more successful.  On a side not I hope you aren't just cooking the mice.  What I do is to cut it with the kitchen knife to get animal meat/small animal meat, then I use them in stir fry's with my fresh veg that I grow.  The hunger, unhappiness and boredom reduction bonus you get are insane so my char is always happy.  You can makes pies and soup also but I prefer stir fry's as they are less messing about.  Now all I need is a fishing hole in Muldraugh so I can add some more variety to my meals :D

There is a post in this thread where someone lists the baits for each animal with info they pulled from the game files but not sure if its up-to-date and I think I caught some thing with a different bait but can't remember.  I will be doing some tests hopefully soon so will update with my findings

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anybody had any luck with trapping in the woods West of the cabin by the lake in Westpoint? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if its not been properly zone yet, but I've gone through about 21 heads of cabbage and 6 carrots with the crate traps in the woods with no results, and 2 jars of peanut butter on mouse traps inside the cabin with no results.

Thanks, I wouldn't bother ya but something either isn't right or I'm the worst trapper ever. Like I said earlier I went through 2 jars of peanut butter in the cabin trying to catch mice, and about 21 heads of cabbage + 6 carrots in the woods trying to catch rabbits.

I don't know if this is the best thread to do this in, but since it's about trapping... :ph34r:

Is there the possibility of the tree branches or twigs serving as a replacement for sturdy sticks in the stick trap recipe? Snare traps would also more likely be done with tree branches/wood you'd find naturally in the environment as opposed to a whole plank of wood.

This would also help tie foraging in with trapping, making the potential for a naturalist skill set.

Just an update, but I was finally able to catch a bird at the cabin.............are Rabbits suppose to be insanely hard to catch though at level 0 skill? Couldn't catch mice in the cabin or rabbits in the box traps outside, bait would keep disappearing, but I finally caught a bird with worms in some stick traps near the box traps.

Also, it must be a bug that cooking the small bird meat removes the unhappiness bonus.

Thanks again for looking into this RJ.

Edit: So, after moving the box traps to the left of where the bird traps are, I FINALLY started catching rabbits. It was already over a screen away (and by screen I mean fully zoomed out) from the cabin............so I guess it was too close to the cabin before? I dunno, seemed like it was already quite a bit of distance away to begin with.

Edit Edit: Also, rabbits are losing the unhappiness bonus after being cooked as well? Its happening by the way with cut rabbits/birds.

Another question, according to the wiki, the Trap Box is the upgrade to catch birds from the stick trap, but ever since I switched from the stick trap to the Trap Box, I have caught zero birds. Is there something wrong with this trap?

Edit: Using worms for bait in both cases.

Nope, birds can only be caught in stick trap :)

Thank you, I was wondering what was going on lol.

I just wanted to add to the above suggestion, would it be possible to add a replacement for twine to foraging, perhaps tough vines or something similar. Right now foraging enables you to rough it out on your own, allowing you to fish via chipped stone + tree branches, and if sturdy sticks could be replaced by tree branches this would open up at least the bird trap for us to trap with (seeing as the other traps require a saw, nails, or wire). Would just be really nice for it to open up the other survival skill (especially when foraging for worms during rain is fixed :D)