The Trapping System

I'll share what I worked out briefly. With a carpentry lvl 3 I can make a Wooden Cage Trap with a saw 5 nails and 3 planks. I can also make a Stick Trap with 4 sturdy sticks and twine. I have just laid out a few of each and some mousetraps I found (can't make them, maybe wire?) using non perishables like pickles, beef jerky, worms etc,. Will reply if I catch anything! :)

Cat is nice and hefty, some proper good eating.

On second thought... this will open up a world of hurt though of people saying "I waentz cat ingaem foor pet plox" :unsure:

Alf would agree and know a plenty of fast and easy cat recipes ;)

Why is no one talking about the traps being bugged? Am I the only one who is having problems with them?

After placing them and baiting them they become bugged after a time. If I attempt to remove them, my character walks away from them. My guess is that he's trying to walk around the world to get to the other side. Same thing happens when I need to replace the bait.

Why is no one talking about the traps being bugged? Am I the only one who is having problems with them?

After placing them and baiting them they become bugged after a time. If I attempt to remove them, my character walks away from them. My guess is that he's trying to walk around the world to get to the other side. Same thing happens when I need to replace the bait.

There's a load of bugfixes queued in the next hotfix

Found the recipes for traps (pulled this from the recipe file):

Wooden Cage Trap
Saw,
Plank=3,
Nails=5,

Stick Trap
WoodenStick=4,
Twine=1,

Snare Trap
Saw,
Plank=1,
Twine=2,
SkillRequired:Trapping=1,

Trap Box
Saw,
Plank=4,
Nails=7,
SkillRequired:Woodwork=1;Trapping=2;,

Cage Trap
Wire=5,
SkillRequired:Trapping=3;,

I managed to catch a bunny! :D

It was weird, I had to walk pretty far from the trap to add more bait.  All I can picture is walking away and then throwing potatoes at the trap.  It's like darts, but with potatoes.

I know that bug's been reported already, but the thought of it makes me laugh.  I'm really enjoying the update!

Currently for trapping animals will more bait options be added later on?

Currently:

Rabbit Bait: Carrots, Apple, Lettuce, Cabbage, Corn, Banana, Potato, Tomato.
Squirrel Bait: Orange, Peanuts, PeanutButter, Cereal, Apple, Corn, Popcorn.
Bird Bait: Bread, Corn, Cereal.
Note: Can birds be caught yet?
Mouse Bait: Cheese, PeanutButter, BaconBits, Chocolate, Orange, Apple, Tomato.
Rat Bait: Cheese, PeanutButter, BaconBits, Chocolate, Orange, Apple, Tomato.

Maybe add berries as bait for all animals? I think options for rationing out food should also be usable for bait as I don't think I would want to put an entire box of cereal in a trap. (Well I can currently put in food at 1/4th left for traps but if that specific item does not attract animals whats the point...)

Do traps work on multiplayer? I have tried every type of bait I can think of (berries, farm produce, worms, etc...) and haven't caught anything. I have used the wooden box traps and the stick traps out in the woods. Thanks for any help :)

Reflections on trapping after many hours: No crate trap or snare has caught an animal yet for me. Stick traps did well for catching birds though, and eventually box traps caught me squirrels and rabbits. At this point though trapping is not practical as most baits are perishables you will probably be farming after power is out. Even rabbits are not really worth the trade of cabbage/potato. More useful trade offs for animals would be necessary to make trapping compare to fishing/farming. Maybe like old racoon traps that used a shiny piece of metal to lure the curious racoon.

Does the trapping skill (which is hard to level up enough to build better traps) increase the odds to catch animal or the animals size?

This is not at all a critique of a feature I see as a work in progress, just my impression of the survival system as compared to fishing and farming. Love the way this game is going.

Isn't it better to add more baits such as peanut butter sandwitch and salads too? Because my rabbit liked it and it is more reasonable that combined food attracts more attention of animals.

Hmm... My english skill looks terrible. . .

How long should you leave the trap?

If the bait was fresh and the stick trap is still empty after a day or so, I usually pack up the trap and move it somewhere else. I'll move mouse traps baited with tomato after just a few hours if they're not catching.Haven't caught anything with the other trap types yet.

Dead animal parts used as Zombie bait? :D I was actually thinking if there would be some kind of craftable item, that makes noise or anything (much like an alarm) that lures zombies there and they destroy it, giving you a clearer area or help you avoid a nasty huge horde.

I made stick and box trap so far, caught nothing :D I'm on a server where all food is rotten, vegetables don't wanna grow very fast... so food is like gold :3 Fishing has been working for me well.

Making a chum bucket with offal, a bucket and screwdriver would be great for fishing. Or use a garbage bag and knife for a finer chum bag. If wild dogs are added, I'm gonna surround safehouses with food to attract some guard dogs!

I updated this topic with some more info, please check if you guys have anything to add :3 thanks ^^ http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Trapping

I meant animal bait and stuff. Attract fish to the shore or animals to the traps.

I see! Well yeah, but that would make baits much easier to obtain once you started trapping a lot. Maybe it could be a feature, but with a lower chance of catching an animal than the baits used now (peanut butter attracts rats more than rabbit guts I believe ^^ )

I finally reached level 1 trapping and can make snare traps.  Snare traps with cabbage, potatoes and maybe even tomatoes around the northern farm have netted me lots rabbits to eat.  With a healthy farm and trapping I produce more food then I can handle :D

What about birds? Anybody caught any birds?