Climbing tree's

marine1217

I was doing some gardening today in my yard and to be short I ended up climbing a tree to trim the branches. This got me thinking that we do not have a way to climb trees at the moment. Adding this to the game  would make a great vantage point and safe place from zombies, As well you could even sleep in the tree. Although I do not know if this can be implemented with the way the trees ingame are currently. Any thoughts?

Question: Woud zombies bee able to push down smaller or medium trees ?

If not then trees could get a little OP. Just imagine, you are on a loot raid and you find a horde. Some zombies are coming for you others are just standing. If the trees are indestructable, you can evade the horde(just by waiting when it moves) and survive.

• 1 month later...

If there was only a certain type of tree that you can climb into and there werent too many of them it would be interesting. That wouldnt make the trees too OP.

And if you could sleep in a tree, you would wake up if it rains etc. so it wouldnt be as reliable sleeping spot as a tent. Also if you slept too many nights in a row on a tree branch you could get sick. Then you would be forced to go sleep in a house or tent every second time or so.

How about if you can climb any tree, but it takes a certain amount of time to climb it and there is a time limit as to how long you can hold on. For instance, you can climb the tree, but your character climbs it slowly and is only strong enough to climb and hang on for 10 seconds. 

You could make this a skill. As you level up this skill, your character can climb faster and hang on for longer.

..so at the beginning if you escape a zombie by climbing to a tree, you survive 10 seconds and then bye bye? :lol: ''Dang, I knew I should have practiced my tree-hanging skill..''

That is why it makes tree-climbing less OP. You can't just camp up there for as long as you want. I also assume that climbing a tree for the first time would be a difficult task for a new survivor. If prowess in firearms, blunt and blades, and sprinting requires time and practice to be effective, then why not tree-climbing?

Yeah and zombies would not walk past when they already saw you, they would just wait for you to faint due to microsleep or to fall down or come down due to desperateness. If/once we get multi-level trees this would be a brilliant and interesting feature.

I don't think it should be over complicated with skills though, any fool can climb a tree, the speed would just rely on your own strength (which is modeled already in-game based off of moodles and traits).

Just make it impossible to do when overladen and if you become overladen whilst in the tree you fall out, meaning you would get weaker and weaker from dehydration and hunger, dropping all your things to stay inside or in a lapse of focus/planning slip out and fall.

Why drop your stuff out of the tree when you can lay it on, or tie it to, branches?

Here's something you could do in a thee: Reach down and split their skulls while being out of harm. If the lower branches are too high up for that, then you can tie a rope to yourself and a tree and slay zombies like that. All is not lost if ye findeth ye selves in a tree surrounded by the living dead.

• 3 months later...

If this has been said and I missed it, I'm sorry and I second it, but: TREEHOUSE!

I like this. But in truth you can already build a tree house with out having a tree. Just build a stair till you get a floor going build a window or fence and add a sheet rope and get rid of the stair and you have a house in the air.

in the book World War Z there is a part where a girl climbs i tree to sleep for the night. the next morning when she wakes up it is surrounded by 100+ zombies! she ends up jumping out of the tree and breaking her ankle and if things like this happened in the game it would be fantastic!