How to: Public Server

RobertJohnson

I have a question, is it possible or even remotely considered to add a player/server rating system to this?

Like for instance say I play on "Ronny's Server" and on "Betty's Server";

Ronny has a horrid server full of trolls and Ronny himself is kinda an asshole/badmin; Whereas Betty's server is lovely and pleasant and the admins are great.

Now say we can score the server 0-10, this would allow me(players) to rate Ronny as bad and Betty as good, this way players can identify what servers are the best and which ones to avoid. And then add to this perhaps that 10+ ratings are needed before the server rating is compiled. That way only 'old' servers that are constantly on or has a good player base gets rated, to stop say for instance ten new servers from topping the rating list because one guy voted them a 10 score.

Again this is merely a thought as to improving the usability of a server list if it does have like a hundred+ servers on it. (Which I am sure we all hope PZ will have). It is however nowhere near necessary at first though if the server list is not massively extensive, which it won't be in opening days. It just might be needed if lots of people are publically listing games that they mean to play with a few(1-4) other players however.

Filters and ordering the list by number of players as in the OP should also help this though, might be neat to have a little rating with spiffo icons ;)

I might have an idea.

Assuming we're only referring to Publicly Official listed servers here, with the Server Name as the only criteria in question. (Inappropriate server names, offensive ones, etc)

We, the players can "flag" a server name that we feel is inappropriate and those servers are moved to a seperate "Flagged server" list for inspection. Maybe only for the Server List Mods (Devs) to make a judgement call on? Perhaps trusted individuals in the community as well to help assist too?

Those that have that responsibility can chose either -- Pass or Reject. That decision and judgement call remains as long as that Public Server remains and keeps that same name, of course if/when the name is changed it has the possibility of coming under another judgement call if anyone flags it.

Also, a public server could have 3 possible states -- (blank) (no decision made), Approved and Rejected. These statuses will remain as long as that server remains open and with the same name. Of course, Rejected server names will no longer be publicly listed.

This way, it prevents people from "false flagging" someones server (to be a jerk) making more work to be done. While it's true that someone could do that ONCE to a server, they would most likely end up being approved by a Server Name Mod eliminating that happening again.

Also, any Public Server that's currently flagged (for inspection) would remain in the Public List until a decision is reached so their server wouldn't be removed (from the list) until it's considered legitimately inappropriate/etc.

Could have Public Servers listed on the left; Flagged Servers on the right so they're in 2 halves so they're both easily seen yet remaining seperate for easy viewing/scrolling/inspection.

This would likely be most beneficial of course, once there are many players and servers going on with PZ, not so much when there's only a few but whats everyones thoughts on this? =)

I do see the possibility that someone could go through and Flag every single server (to be a jerk) and that's really the only issue I see with this idea so far. For that problem, could expand on the idea to incorporate and handle that if necessary.

really bad. why do everything specially when there is a super steam API?

make sure to read through the API! it brings many benefits:

https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation/api

- A super server list with all fetures <-

- Steam Nick and Avatar Ingame

- Valve Anti-Cheat

- Server can ban the SteamID

- Achievements

- Cloud-save for single player

- "Join in" on Steam friends list

- advanced: steam ingame voice

today's games live on the steam functions .... like the real life from facebook...

makes a modern game and not a classic game in 1990!

everyone has steam ...

(sorry for my bad english)

edit: not to forget: without a steam account with the game no multiplayer = no illigalen copies

- Valve Anti-Cheat

- Achievements

today's games live on the steam functions .... like the real life from facebook...

everyone has steam ...

edit: not to forget: without a steam account with the game no multiplayer = no illigalen copies

And to all those who don't have or want the game on Steam? :P 

We plan on both.

- Valve Anti-Cheat

- Achievements

everyone has steam ...

The game does have a Desura version too not to forget, so making it steam only would be taking the piss on that would it not? And not everyone has steam or even enjoys steam as a service, especially where internet is not uncapped, so how would steam integration handle cases where a user would like to play the game over a LAN with other players whilst not being connected to the internet?

(And just to reiterate, I bought the game on desura because the last thing I wanted was to be on steam)

EDIT: Nevermind hahaha, Ninja'd by Lemmy!

Edited by Viceroy

if the server has had no one connect for 3 hours it get taken off the list? how do i get it back on the list without shutting it down as it dont start up again with bedford mod installed would be good if was an admin command to send data back to server list as a 24 hour server may have quite spots and player then cant see my server to connect to it come morning ect

• 2 weeks later...

humms, the weird part about my server browser thing is that I don't have the public button on my game, how to fix?

It usually means that a connection could not be made to the Master Server list. This can stem from anti-virus software or firewalls blocking the connection to the server list.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When I enable Public option in Serveroptions.ini, its make error

connecting to public server listjava.lang.NullPointerException	at zombie.util.PublicServerUtil.getMacAddress(PublicServerUtil.java:169)	at zombie.util.PublicServerUtil.insertDatas(PublicServerUtil.java:141)	at zombie.util.PublicServerUtil.insertOrUpdate(PublicServerUtil.java:92)	at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:291)

• 4 months later...

Trying to make my server accessible through the public list, but somehow it doesn´t work.

My servertest.ini entries:

nightlengthmodifier=1.0PVP=truePauseEmpty=falseGlobalChat=trueOpen=trueServerWelcomeMessage= <RGB:1,0,0> Herzlich Willkommen auf dem Server von projectzomboid.de! <LINE> Mehr Infos zum Server gibt es bei uns im Forum.<LINE> <RGB:1,1,1>LogLocalChat=trueAutoCreateUserInWhiteList=falseDisplayUserName=falseSpawnPoint=0,0,0SafetySystem=trueShowSafety=falseSafetyToggleTimer=100SafetyCooldownTimer=120SpawnItems=DefaultPort=16261ResetID=943246076Mods=Map=Muldraugh, KYSpawnRegions=servertest_spawnregions.luaDoLuaChecksum=truePublic=truePublicName=projectzomboiddePublicDescription=[PvP=an][SafetySystem=an, ohne Icon][Loot-Respawn=96h][Zombie-Respawn=2h]MaxPlayers=40PingFrequency=10PingLimit=400HoursForLootRespawn=96MaxItemsForLootRespawn=4ConstructionPreventsLootRespawn=trueHoursForZombiesRespawn=2IncreaseZombieRespawnBy=25DropOffWhiteListAfterDeath=falseNoFireSpread=trueAnnounceDeath=true

PublicDescription=[PvP=an][safetySystem=an, ohne Icon][Loot-Respawn=96h][Zombie-Respawn=2h]

Is that supposed to work? :-|

If you ask because of the "=" than I can say: it doesn´t work with or without them. I also tried a simple "PublicDescription=test" and "PublicDescription=[COOP][RP] RJ Server", none of it worked.

PublicDescription=[PvP=an][safetySystem=an, ohne Icon][Loot-Respawn=96h][Zombie-Respawn=2h]

Is that supposed to work? :-|

If you ask because of the "=" than I can say: it doesn´t work with or without them. I also tried a simple "PublicDescription=test" and "PublicDescription=[COOP][RP] RJ Server", none of it worked.

Is it possible the server is being blocked from probing the master server list?