Realistic Kentucky Firearms Mod 2.26

Pravus

Pravus if you do not mind me asking? But did you up the number of dead mice and rats found in kitchen cabinets? In my new game I started with your mod I have found 2 times the dead rodents. And if you did is this some thing you see in Kentucky?

Rofl, no I didn't touch the spawn rate of mice and rats.  I literally laughed out loud reading this though (especially the part about if I did it to better reflect life in Kentucky).  I'm afraid that's likely just the Random Number Generator triggering a positive value to spawn them frequently on your current playthrough.  Thanks for making my day and bringing a smile to my face!

Pravus if you do not mind me asking? But did you up the number of dead mice and rats found in kitchen cabinets? In my new game I started with your mod I have found 2 times the dead rodents. And if you did is this some thing you see in Kentucky?

Rofl, no I didn't touch the spawn rate of mice and rats.  I literally laughed out loud reading this though (especially the part about if I did it to better reflect life in Kentucky).  I'm afraid that's likely just the Random Number Generator triggering a positive value to spawn them frequently on your current playthrough.  Thanks for making my day and bringing a smile to my face!

ok glad I could bring you a laugh. It most have been RNG. First day I was finding dead rats and mice in almost every cabinet. Next day I am finding not a one. But now i am getting rain 3 day in a row in middle of summer. I wont ask if you messed with the rain then. LoL :P

I tried your mod in MP today and apart from not showing the icons it worked pretty well. But after I gave myself a weapon the server-console produced this error:

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2014-09-11 21.27.34.png

That particular error is due to an item spawning in a container (and subsequently attempting to add a weapon addonto itself) but not finding a table listing for the weapon addon.  Usually this means I mispelled a varable when making changes/additions but, after checking the script again, I don't see any error in the code this time.  Also, all the icons should show up for you if you installed the mod correctly and remembered to close then reopen your client before loading a game.  Can you give me some more information as to what version of PZ you're using, version of RKFmod, where you installed the mod, if you started a new game with it, etc?

I´m running Build 28.3 (stable branch on steam) at the server and client. The mod is unzipped in the Zomboid folder (Win 7 location: C:\Users\Dr_Cox1911\Zomboid\mods), the server is running linux, so the Zomboid folder is located within the home-dir of the user.

The line within the serversettings.ini looks like this:

Mods=CanningEssentials;RKFmod

I restarted the server numerous times after addind the mod-line and also restarted the client numerous times after activating the mod (the mod is also listed within the "loaded.txt").

I started a singleplayer game and the icons are there, but when I join the server the icons are the "?" ones. The RKF version is 2.2 on client and server.

I´m running Build 28.3 (stable branch on steam) at the server and client. The mod is unzipped in the Zomboid folder (Win 7 location: C:\Users\Dr_Cox1911\Zomboid\mods), the server is running linux, so the Zomboid folder is located within the home-dir of the user.

The line within the serversettings.ini looks like this:

Mods=CanningEssentials;RKFmod

I restarted the server numerous times after addind the mod-line and also restarted the client numerous times after activating the mod (the mod is also listed within the "loaded.txt").

I started a singleplayer game and the icons are there, but when I join the server the icons are the "?" ones. The RKF version is 2.2 on client and server.

Hmmm, I had another player recent report that they were experiencing some some strange errors with RKF when running it on a multiplayer server.  To be honest, I don't know enough about PZ's multiplayer systems to offer proper advice at this time and I'm not entirely sure why some users would experience instability in these instances.  I'll try to do some research on possible causes and get back to you as soon as I can find more information.  My apologies for the inconvenience!

with the mod creator's blessing, i will distribute a more realistic sound pack (weapon wise, with some player sounds) to those using the mod upon request. maybe pravus can chime in on how to describe it because i am near braindead at the moment, was up all night editing this stuff. just pm me if you want it

Hm Not sure this is a bug or not on your mod. My character has not used any water for over 24 hours. I was useing water as alway before i added in your RKA Apocalypse Kit mod. Is this some thing you have seen before in the mod? It is nice to not need water for drinking(it still used it for cooking). But you Apocalypse gear is enough of a early buff. Not needing water a bit to much. LoL

Anyway like I said not sure if this is a bug you know or a new one. I have had 3 games in 28 so fare and all used water. As well as one game with payno lost gun mod(wich I turned off before I loaded your mod and started a new game). Anyway any help if you have any.

I saw the icon error before I think the game might not load textures right for in multiplayer all the time. Even when it is only 1 icon only that needs loaded just can fail for no reason. This was since mp was introduced.

I'm still not entirely sure why this behavior is occuring for some individuals.  I'll keep looking for possible reasons and solutions in the meantime.  Rest assured I'll post information regarding what I've found as soon as I discover something.

Got some gameplay questions about of use of sime items,namle, what are following items used for? 

Algae-Coated BranchBGAlgae, Electrical Tape?

Electrical tape should work much like duct tape in that both can be used to repair damaged items.  The branch and algae are replacements for occassionally fishing up socks and shoes when a water area runs out of fish temporarily.  I felt the "fishing up old shoes" gag, while classic, didn't quite fit the rest of the game's tendency to lean toward realism.  Sunken timber and "pond scum (algae)" are things you are much more likely to accidently find caught on the end of your line in real life Kentucky.

Hm Not sure this is a bug or not on your mod. My character has not used any water for over 24 hours. I was useing water as alway before i added in your RKA Apocalypse Kit mod. Is this some thing you have seen before in the mod? It is nice to not need water for drinking(it still used it for cooking). But you Apocalypse gear is enough of a early buff. Not needing water a bit to much. LoL

Anyway like I said not sure if this is a bug you know or a new one. I have had 3 games in 28 so fare and all used water. As well as one game with payno lost gun mod(wich I turned off before I loaded your mod and started a new game). Anyway any help if you have any.

That is definitely a bug and should not be occuring at this time if the mod is installed correctly.  I've played several games during testing utilizing the stable Build 28 and the currently released version of RKFmod and haven't had this occur.  Can you provide more information on your method/location for installing RKF?  I might be able to help sort out the issues you've been experiencing with a bit more information.

That is definitely a bug and should not be occuring at this time if the mod is installed correctly.  I've played several games during testing utilizing the stable Build 28 and the currently released version of RKFmod and haven't had this occur.  Can you provide more information on your method/location for installing RKF?  I might be able to help sort out the issues you've been experiencing with a bit more information.

I will say it likely my bad here. I am only so so on computers mostly do to not dealing with them in anyway other that to play games on them.

Ok your RKF Apocalypse Kit is only the second mod i have tried. So I downloaded it from the link on the front page of this post. I then opened it with winzip or what ever I am using right now. I then dumped it all in the mod folder as the post in how to install mods in the mods forums.

I took the RKFmodAE folder and draged it over to C, user, myname, zomboid, mods. And droped it in there.  I then log in to game. Turned off the payno mod I was using. Then tuned on your RKFAE mod exit out of the game logged back in and then started a new sandbox game.  I am using a steam bough PZ game I got almost a year ago but it is running 28. Now I will say this my game will not hold the settings for screen size and zoom I have to set them every time I started the game. I am not sure that some way my game might not work all that well with my PC. My PC is like about 7 years old and I am stuck with it for now.

I hope this helps it likely I installed it wrong some how. But I repair musical instruments and there not a lot of use for computer skills there. Thank you for any help.

*Updated to v2.25!  Includes bug fixes, a new constructable, and an entirely reworked pack of sound effects created in collaberation with FLAKT!

I will say it likely my bad here. I am only so so on computers mostly do to not dealing with them in anyway other that to play games on them.

Ok your RKF Apocalypse Kit is only the second mod i have tried. So I downloaded it from the link on the front page of this post. I then opened it with winzip or what ever I am using right now. I then dumped it all in the mod folder as the post in how to install mods in the mods forums.

I took the RKFmodAE folder and draged it over to C, user, myname, zomboid, mods. And droped it in there.  I then log in to game. Turned off the payno mod I was using. Then tuned on your RKFAE mod exit out of the game logged back in and then started a new sandbox game.  I am using a steam bough PZ game I got almost a year ago but it is running 28. Now I will say this my game will not hold the settings for screen size and zoom I have to set them every time I started the game. I am not sure that some way my game might not work all that well with my PC. My PC is like about 7 years old and I am stuck with it for now.

I hope this helps it likely I installed it wrong some how. But I repair musical instruments and there not a lot of use for computer skills there. Thank you for any help.

Well, honestly, if I'm understanding you correctly (meaning you only installed files to the C:/Users/%YOUR NAME%/Zomboid/mods directory and not any to the Steam directory) then you've done everything exactly as instructed.  I do have some news that may pertain to your issue however.  As I was finishing testing this mini-release on one occassion I stopped at a sink to fill my water containers but apparently walked away before the progress bar could fully fill.  Afterward, I suddenly noticed some of my context menus weren't working correctly and it seemed like my character wasn't drinking water like usual.  I checked the console and found a core PZ file had thrown an error (seen below):

-------------------------------------------------------------attempted index: getUsedDelta of non-table: null-----------------------------------------STACK TRACE-----------------------------------------function: stop -- file: ISTakeWaterAction.lua line # 36attempted index: getUsedDelta of non-table: null-----------------------------------------STACK TRACE-----------------------------------------function: stop -- file: ISTakeWaterAction.lua line # 36

After finding another sink and telling my character to drink the water there directly, everything went back to normal for me.  I can't be 100% sure this might be related to your issue but it is the first time I've ever seen this occur.  I'll try to keep a lookout for any other instabilities (either in RKF or PZ core) that could cause these types of things to happen!

*Updated to v2.25!  Includes bug fixes, a new constructable, and an entirely reworked pack of sound effects created in collaberation with FLAKT!

Well, honestly, if I'm understanding you correctly (meaning you only installed files to the C:/Users/%YOUR NAME%/Zomboid/mods directory and not any to the Steam directory) then you've done everything exactly as instructed.  I do have some news that may pertain to your issue however.  As I was finishing testing this mini-release on one occassion I stopped at a sink to fill my water containers but apparently walked away before the progress bar could fully fill.  Afterward, I suddenly noticed some of my context menus weren't working correctly and it seemed like my character wasn't drinking water like usual.  I checked the console and found a core PZ file had thrown an error (seen below):

-------------------------------------------------------------attempted index: getUsedDelta of non-table: null-----------------------------------------STACK TRACE-----------------------------------------function: stop -- file: ISTakeWaterAction.lua line # 36attempted index: getUsedDelta of non-table: null-----------------------------------------STACK TRACE-----------------------------------------function: stop -- file: ISTakeWaterAction.lua line # 36

After finding another sink and telling my character to drink the water there directly, everything went back to normal for me.  I can't be 100% sure this might be related to your issue but it is the first time I've ever seen this occur.  I'll try to keep a lookout for any other instabilities (either in RKF or PZ core) that could cause these types of things to happen!

Ah yes I have only been playing around with your mod for a few days. I do remember walking away before filling the metal bottle that came with your AE. I thought that maybe that the bottle it self was the trouble so I put it in my safe house and get a water bottle out. But was not getting any use out of it. I chose not to drink any water thinking that I was over watered and that why it was not going down. I can not play now got go back do some more work tonight. But later to night I will give the drinking a try.

I just like to say i like your mod it has in it the two gun that i own.  I just love the Ruger 10/22. one of the best 22 ever made. Now all i need to find is a Ruger mini-14 and that cover my main 2 guns. Keep up the good work.

Pravus: I'm curious about what you envision as the future for your RFK mod?  Do you have more items you plan to add, or will you put any new stuff into separate mods?  Have you considered breaking up RFK into separate mods in light of some of the Lockpicking criticisms you noted in your Skill Books thread?

I ask because I'm considering an alternative design philosophy from the current "mod pile" approach that combines several mods into one mod.  I'm thinking of creating smaller "moddies" that allow players to better customize their preferences by enabling many smaller mods.  Here is what I'm thinking:

Jatta House Moddies

* Mint in Box

* Project Gutenboid

* others made by me

All "moddies" in the "Jatta House" would be checked for compatibility with each other so players could know upfront all mods in my "House" could be enabled at the same time without any fear of conflicts.  Other modders could follow suit, for example, you could create a "Pravus House" for your mods.  Potentially, modders or the community of users could establish compatibility notices that say things like "All Pravus House, Jatta House, and Fenrix House mods are compatible with each other. Mix and match as you desire."

Branding

I think another potential advantage is branding.  I could come up with "Jatta House" symbol that I stick in the corner of my mod poster.png files that let players know at a glance all my mods work together.

What do you think?

Pravus: I'm curious about what you envision as the future for your RFK mod?  Do you have more items you plan to add, or will you put any new stuff into separate mods?  Have you considered breaking up RFK into separate mods in light of some of the Lockpicking criticisms you noted in your Skill Books thread?

I ask because I'm considering an alternative design philosophy from the current "mod pile" approach that combines several mods into one mod.  I'm thinking of creating smaller "moddies" that allow players to better customize their preferences by enabling many smaller mods. ...

I have plenty of ideas for new additions for the future.  Most of my currently unimplimented concepts are held back by lack of programming knowledge/skill (I started RKF with what I would consider to barely be called "Novice" level of Javascript and I hadn't even heard of Lua.  I'm still learning through improvisation, trial-and-error, and a lot of persistance) or lack of contemporary access to specific core methods (which Indie Stone regularly changes if enough interest from the mod community is shown for a specific type of action: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/567-lua-requests/).  To be entirely honest, I actually have a folder on my backup drive entitled "Miscellaneous Unfinished Resources" that contains over 60 completed or nearly completed assets that are in sort of a "cold storage" until I either improve my scripting skill enough to finish their respective projects or we receive access to new modding tools in future.

I don't currently have any plans to integrate any other complete works in to RKF though I will definitely add new items and features individually as time passes.  I feel I can best explain my thinking regarding RKF by describing my design philosophy.  I once read some spectacular advice from a respected and widely known internet personality that I will paraphrase: "If you plan to make content for others' consumption on the internet, make the content how 'you' as an individual think it should be done.  While its never a good idea to completely snub your audience's feedback, if you fret about every negative review and/or attempt to cater to every request you receive, 1.) you'll end up miserable due to the fact it is impossible to please everybody and 2.) you'll start to feel more and more distant from your project.  It won't be about your ideas and what you consider to be fun anymore.  For all your effort, your project will be destined to become homogenized, boring, and bland."

This filters directly into how I feel about how others perceive me on the internet as well.  I'm in no way opposed to someone wanting to receive praise and recognition for their work but, personally, I prefer to remain more private.  I'll always listen to players' thoughts and concerns but ultimately I'm the one who's scripting my mods and each of those individual projects is/was born of my innate passion to see a specific idea brought to life; every endeavor maintained because it fits my definition of "fun."  Once the creator loses personal interest in an undertaking no amount of whining, flaming, or begging from the internet community as a whole can force them to continue working on such projects with the same level of quality and attention to detail they likely began the work with.

Now, that said,  I will admit that my personal views and opinions strongly affect the way I manage my internet presence.  I'm an intensely paranoid individual who values his privacy.  For me, the idea of having my name and information spread far and wide for anyone to find at any time now or in the future is something I find to be very uncomfortable.  I'm perfectly happy providing what little I contribute to those who appreciate it with no expectation of anything at all in return.  Now, as I stated previously, there's nothing wrong with gaining "internet fame" if that is what you so desire.  I personally just don't feel the idea of "Branding" myself or spreading awareness of my web presence to be "right for me."

Anyway, that was probably much more than you were intending for me to comment on so I'll quit rambling now, lol.  In short, my future plans are simply to listen to and appreciate user feedback while working on the projects of mine I enjoy to work on so long as I have the available time and interest.  There will be plenty of interesting additions coming to RKF in the future but I don't currently have any intention of scripting in any huge, new, and divergent systems to the mod. ;)

Ok I am on 2 sandbox games now with your RKF mod 2.26. One in Muldraugh and the other in West Point. Both so fare I have found a number of the yugoslavian model 59/66 SKS rifle. But I have yet found the ammo for this gun. Some times (and it some thing I love about your mod) I find the ammo for the gun with the gun nice and realistic. But the SKS has never had the ammo with it and I have not found any SKS ammo type which if I remember is a 7.62x39mm that most of the time comes in a 10 round strip clip. I have found the SKS in homes in bedroom wardrobe. But not a round to be found.

Is the ammo for the SKS rare or is it not in your mod yet or am I just getting bad RNG?

I also some times will find handguns with no ammo type with them like some of the 44. But I have found ammo for them all be it rare but I have found it. Is this the way the mod was set up?

Never mind I found 5 rounds of 7.62X39 in a bug bag. It must just be rare.

I just tried this mod and the icons seems not to load in-game.

I found some 20 gauge box and the icon was a circled "?"

Is this normal?

Haven't tried a single weapon yet, to see if it works and i died after finding the ammo ...

Can't wait !

Cheers.

Edit : The issue seems to have fixed itself randomly... Icons now appear properly in game.

Managed to get myself a nice ar15 ... didn't fire a single bullet with it and i forgot the stove while going to sleep and... died :D :D

Pravus do you think it would be a good idea to add ammo or gun loot on zombies as an extremely rare drop. I got this thought thinking because in the beginning people would be getting their guns to fight the zombies then end up getting bit or scratched and would still have the guns on them. Also Mascou the ? icon is because you didn't restart the game once you activated the mod. It happens to all mods.

Hi!

The "metal shelves invisible on east/west axis" persisted after the update. I have started a new game since I reported the bug, so today was the first time since then I tried to build metal shelves again.

I looked a bit deeper into the files and it looks like I have found the bug... I made following changes, and they seem to have worked:

in the file RKFContainer.lua in /RKFmod/media/lua/server/Buildingobjects/:

Line 19,

function RKFContainer:new(sprite, northSprite, name)

to:

function RKFContainer:new(name, sprite, northSprite, southsprite, eastsprite)

I also added two lines after line 28:

o:setSouthSprite(southSprite);
    o:setEastSprite(eastSprite);

After these changes the metalshelves and the medicine cabinet were visible if rotated.

In the File Construct.lua in /RKFmod/media/lua/client/BuildingObjects/ISUI/ I changed:

Line 439

local cabinet = RKFContainer:new(cabinetSprite.sprite, cabinetSprite.northSprite, "Metal Counter");

to:

local cabinet = RKFContainer:new("Metal Counter", cabinetSprite.sprite, cabinetSprite.northSprite);

and Line 454,

local locker = RKFContainer:new(lockerSprite.sprite, lockerSprite.northSprite, "Gun Locker");

to:

local locker = RKFContainer:new("Gun Locker", lockerSprite.sprite, lockerSprite.northSprite);

And now the metal counter and gun locker are visible in all 4 directions, also. I don't know if the added lines 29 and 30 in the RKFContainer file are neccessary, but they don't seem to hurt either^^

Oh, and I changed the Cinderblockwall and Fence to "blockAllTheSquare = false"

Can someone tell me how to activate this mod in server? Im having a problem where im not sure how to activate it, the "end" button doesnt work on server also i found .223 rounds but i still find vanilla weapons such as pistol and shotgun, it would be great if someone can post a better clear instruction.