Realistic Kentucky Firearms Mod 2.26

Pravus

At what rate is the aiming skill supposed to increment at? I'm unsure whether its the latest patch or this mod (ah, or if this the normal rate), but at the moment killing a zombie only nets 1xp in the skill.

I went ahead and checked into it for you.  This is the intended behavior as of vanilla Build 28 PZ.  The code that handles this function can be found in XpUpdate.lua in the client's install directory server folder.  Here is a copy/paste of the relevant section of code:

-- when you or a npc try to hit somethingxpUpdate.onWeaponSwingHitPoint = function(owner, weapon)	-- add info of favourite weapon	local modData = owner:getModData();	if modData["Fav:"..weapon:getName()] == nil then		modData["Fav:"..weapon:getName()] = 1;	else		modData["Fav:"..weapon:getName()] = modData["Fav:"..weapon:getName()] + 1;	end	-- if you sucessful swing your non ranged weapon	if owner:getStats():getEndurance() > owner:getStats():getEndurancewarn() and not weapon:isRanged() then		owner:getXp():AddXP(Perks.Fitness, 1);	end	-- we add xp depending on how many target you hit	if not weapon:isRanged() and owner:getLastHitCount() > 0 then		owner:getXp():AddXP(Perks.Strength, owner:getLastHitCount());	end	-- add xp for ranged weapon	if weapon:isRanged() then		owner:getXp():AddXP(Perks.Aiming, owner:getLastHitCount());	end	-- add either blunt or blade xp (blade xp's perk name is Axe)	if owner:getLastHitCount() > 0 and not weapon:isRanged() then		if weapon:getScriptItem():getCategories():contains("Axe") or weapon:getScriptItem():getCategories():contains("Blade") then			owner:getXp():AddXP(Perks.Axe, 1);		end		if weapon:getScriptItem():getCategories():contains("Blunt") then			owner:getXp():AddXP(Perks.Blunt, 1);		end	endend

As you can see just beneath the "add xp for ranged weapon" annotation, currently you receive 1 xp per target hit when using a ranged weapon.  This being the case, I can definitely reaffirm RobertJohnson's recommendation regarding leveling aiming skill in the new build: "Start off using shotguns before attempting to move to pistols or rifles."  The fact that they're multi-projectile and have a very high base hit chance (just remember to wait a second or two between shots to allow your character to aim) means they're your best weapon for early aiming skill leveling.

If you're struggling to find ammunition with RKFmod, keep in mind what I mentioned in earlier posts regarding the new spawn system.  You won't often find more than a few rounds here and there with any guns scavenged from homes, your best bet to stockpile some ammo is either to get lucky and find a *very rare* unused "prepper" stash or raid places that would likely have higher concentrations of munition irl (ie. - the gun store, police departments, etc.).

Ah, so its the intention of the devs for you to have to shoot a zombie multiple times to kill it. Heh, I was one shotting them (though at one point when I picked up a rifle I managed to hit four zombies with four shot at something like ten metres. ...Other times not so much). ^^

I've found a few of those mangled prepper bags on zombies, but none have had any gear in them. I suppose its luck of the draw whether there is though. Thanks for confirm all this anyhow, and yes, I suppose I was being a git. ;)

I've found a few of those mangled prepper bags on zombies, but none have had any gear in them. I suppose its luck of the draw whether there is though. Thanks for confirm all this anyhow, and yes, I suppose I was being a git. ;)

Well, as stated in the first post of this thread, there are mangled "bug-out bags" that occassionally spawn on zombies but there are also untouched prepper caches that occassionally spawn in houses but they are very rare.  The bug out bags may provide you with a few nice necessary supplies from time to time but they have a carefully scripted, semi-random loot table that often as not may just give you junk.  The prepper caches, on the other hand, are always a decent score and have a random chance to even be improved with *extra* surprises in ultra rare circumstances.  There's a lot to find out there! ;)

I have a dumb question.  If I wanted to bring it back so guns and ammo do drop on zombies, how would I do this?  My reasoning is that these poor souls had tried to fight off the relentless waves with their trusty [insert gun here] before finally getting infected.

Trying to use this with the latest build of pz but it doesn't seem to be working. I installed it but was still finding default pistols. I just drop it in my mods folder the same way I do any other pz mod right?

Make sure you enable the mod in the Mods screen on the main page.  Double click the Mod to turn it on and get the green check.

Also, I always exit and restart after enabling a Mod. Not sure if this makes a difference but I do it anyway.

I have a dumb question.  If I wanted to bring it back so guns and ammo do drop on zombies, how would I do this?  My reasoning is that these poor souls had tried to fight off the relentless waves with their trusty [insert gun here] before finally getting infected.

I believe you would just need to alter the lua in the mod the controls the zombie corpse container.  I think it might be as simple as adding the guns and ammo (along with the spawn chance number) on lines after the existing list of items and spawn chances.  Not sure where the zombie corpse container lua function is in RFK mod.  And you would want to make sure you were calling the correct items - spelling counts.  Qualifier: I am brand new to lua so I could be completely wrong.

Side Note: I believe Pravus design decision to not spawn guns and ammo on zombies was because the zombies now had the rare possibility of spawning bug out bags filled with goodies. Adding guns and ammo on zombies may unbalance the mod, so to speak.

Trying to use this with the latest build of pz but it doesn't seem to be working. I installed it but was still finding default pistols. I just drop it in my mods folder the same way I do any other pz mod right?

Make sure you enable the mod in the Mods screen on the main page.  Double click the Mod to turn it on and get the green check.

Also, I always exit and restart after enabling a Mod. Not sure if this makes a difference but I do it anyway.

Yeah i fixed it, had it in the mods folder in my steam folder instead of my users folder. I have one more question though, and it might be stupid. This works with the lucky trait and police offer profession right?

Yeah i fixed it, had it in the mods folder in my steam folder instead of my users folder. I have one more question though, and it might be stupid. This works with the lucky trait and police offer profession right?

Not a stupid question at all!  The lucky trait currently has no effect on firearm, ammunition, addons, or rare drops due to the way I've restructured the distribution system.  In all other cases the lucky trait influences item drops, chance to avoid infection on bite/scratch, etc. as per standard Project Zomboid.

The police officer profession's free trait, "Marksman," is taken into effect by RKF when using mod added firearms and I can personally tell you from experience in testing that the accuracy bonus at low to no aiming skill is actually quite noticeable.

Hey guys what are in tactical bug out bags? My temporary laptop won't let me rip bandages or interact with certain things. I was just wondering what are in them I found one but I can't open it and I'm curious.  *EDIT* I meant a tactical Load-Out bag.

I don't want to spoil the surprise but, suffice to say, you have quite the valuable find on your hands. ;-)

If RKFmod v2.2 is installed correctly and you started a new game with client Build 28, you shouldn't experience any recipe errors at this time.  Give us some details regarding your install and we can try to help troubleshoot what may be causing the issue.

Not a stupid question at all!  The lucky trait currently has no effect on firearm, ammunition, addons, or rare drops due to the way I've restructured the distribution system.  In all other cases the lucky trait influences item drops, chance to avoid infection on bite/scratch, etc. as per standard Project Zomboid.

The police officer profession's free trait, "Marksman," is taken into effect by RKF when using mod added firearms and I can personally tell you from experience in testing that the accuracy bonus at low to no aiming skill is actually quite noticeable.

Hey guys what are in tactical bug out bags? My temporary laptop won't let me rip bandages or interact with certain things. I was just wondering what are in them I found one but I can't open it and I'm curious.  *EDIT* I meant a tactical Load-Out bag.

I don't want to spoil the surprise but, suffice to say, you have quite the valuable find on your hands. ;-)

If RKFmod v2.2 is installed correctly and you started a new game with client Build 28, you shouldn't experience any recipe errors at this time.  Give us some details regarding your install and we can try to help troubleshoot what may be causing the issue.

Awesome I should be getting a new laptop for christmas so hopefully that works out. I don't think it's a recipe error because the temporary laptop I'm using has a weird cliicking mechanic where I can't right click and left click at the same time. I'll look around on my game later today though I have school in an hour.

Maybe i missed something.

I used to play on build 27 until official releas of 28. As soon as i upddathed the mod i began to get errosrs becuse of the change of supressed guns like SWMP22s is now SWMP22sil.

And yes, i deleted the old mod serverside and my PC side, loaded the new one but still getting this trouble. Will it work fine on new saves only OR is there another way?

Maybe i missed something.

I used to play on build 27 until official releas of 28. As soon as i upddathed the mod i began to get errosrs becuse of the change of supressed guns like SWMP22s is now SWMP22sil.

And yes, i deleted the old mod serverside and my PC side, loaded the new one but still getting this trouble. Will it work fine on new saves only OR is there another way?

Those changes were a result of my work to correct the errors in playing with Normal and Hardcore reloading difficulties.  If you try to load a previous save after updating to the repaired version of RKFmod (v2.2) then you'll likely have the same issues as those who were experiencing their recipe system breaking.  In simpler terms, somehow saved games on the PZ client "remember" scripts that were run on them previously.  Even if you update to a client or mod version that changes those very scripts the client in some cases stubbornly continues to attempt to run the scripts as they were when that saved game was created. 

Its unfortunately highly likely that you will have to create a new save in order to get the mod and the client to "play nice" with each other again.  Sorry for the inconvenience!

Hi and first I want to thank you for the mod and all the work you put into it.

I am having a problem with the carpentry however, I can see the build items or the ghosttiles when building only if they are on the south/north axis. If I rotate them, they become invisible. If build they stay invisible but containers are accessible. More Items I could not try because carpentry skill is to low and I can't access old save files cause of the changes I made to some mods.

I made some changes to the scripts, for the most to make them vompatible with other mods I am using, like the recipes, for example:

recipe Make Fishing Rod
        {
        keep KitchenKnife/HuntingKnife/SmallPK/LargePK/M9Bayonet/Multitool/Nmultitool,
        WoodenStick,
        FishingLine=2,
        Paperclip/Nails,

Result:CraftedFishingRod,
        Time:80.0,
        }

changed to:

recipe Make Fishing Rod
    {
        keep HuntingKnife/SharpHuntingKnife/HonedHuntingKnife/KitchenKnife/combatKnife/TommyMultiTool/Multitool/Nmultitool/SmallPK/LargePK/hkPK/M9Bayonet/ButterKnife/machete/Sharpmachete/samuraiSword,
        WoodenStick,
        FishingLine=2,
        Paperclip/Nails,

Result:CraftedFishingRod,
        Time:80.0,
    }

and some other changes, most I don't remember.

so the building bug may be my fault, but I left the RKF mods lua files untouched.

Can it be that the "problem" lies in the missing "east sprite" line in the construct.lua?

getWallShelfSprites = function(player)
        local sprite = {};
        sprite.sprite = "furniture_shelving_01_29";
        sprite.northSprite = "furniture_shelving_01_28";       <--- here is only a north sprite
        return sprite;
end

getMedicineCabinetSprites = function(player)
        local sprite = {};
        sprite.sprite = "fixtures_bathroom_01_29";
        sprite.northSprite = "fixtures_bathroom_01_28";
        return sprite;
end

getMetalCabinetSprites = function(player)
        local sprite = {};
        sprite.sprite = "fixtures_counters_01_35";
        sprite.northSprite = "fixtures_counters_01_37";
    sprite.southSprite = "fixtures_counters_01_33";
        sprite.eastSprite = "fixtures_counters_01_39";       <--- here is an east, south and north sprite
        return sprite;
end

BTW I could only test the wall shelves, so I can't say if the metal cabinets work in all directions.

Edited by gaunti12

Great job on catching that bug!  I completely missed that error during testing.  The issue is partly due to exactly the issue you pointed out.  I was basing the new wall connected constructables upon the script from the ISBuildMenu.lua for wooden wall shelving (added in with Build 28 by Indie Stone).  Basically, since the wooden wall shelving only has two sprites total and I was in a hurry (doing too many things at one time) when I was experimenting with how the new carptentry crafting items worked, I completely neglected to check and see if that was the true for all wall mounted objects or just the wooden shelving.  In fact, upon rechecking my work I discovered the same issue should affect the "Medicine Cabinet" I added recently as well.

I'm adding the necessary script repairs now and I'll add your name to the change log for finding this for me.  Thanks so much!  Its great to see players taking an active role in this mods development and quality control!

That's great to hear/read! I am happy to be of help and even more happy to know I did not screw up somewhere with my own changes to some lua files (again) :)

Just one thing, the changes to the RKFrecipes script I took as an example of what I changed for my own singleplayer are something that really shouldn't be used by others, because by now I changed so much... the "TommyMultiTool" for example is the "MultiTool" from Tommyguns renamed, the "Sharpmachete" is an edit by myself combining the mods craftysurvivor and Tommyguns...  that there wouldn't be a real benefit for others. When I first understood how easy it is to adjust recipes and items in the script txt files I went a bit over the top and right now I'll have to track back what I changed at all and make this into a separate mod file. Changing the original game scripts turned out to be not the best idea at all^^

Thank you for the fast response! Now I can start a new game without worrying to much :)

I tried your mod in MP today and apart from not showing the icons it worked pretty well. But after I gave myself a weapon the server-console produced this error:

post-29-0-70122500-1410463791_thumb.png

EDIT:

Hm, it could also be possible due to me entering the policestation while adding the weapon to my inventar. Will further investigate this if it´s due to spawning stuff in crates/shelver or adding the items directly to my inventory.

I tried your mod in MP today and apart from not showing the icons it worked pretty well. But after I gave myself a weapon the server-console produced this error:

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2014-09-11 21.27.34.png

That particular error is due to an item spawning in a container (and subsequently attempting to add a weapon addonto itself) but not finding a table listing for the weapon addon.  Usually this means I mispelled a varable when making changes/additions but, after checking the script again, I don't see any error in the code this time.  Also, all the icons should show up for you if you installed the mod correctly and remembered to close then reopen your client before loading a game.  Can you give me some more information as to what version of PZ you're using, version of RKFmod, where you installed the mod, if you started a new game with it, etc?

This mod is great :D, but I cant make recipes like bandages from sheets, open nails box or open ammo box, in console I get this: BUxLeX7.png

I dont understand why, I reinstalled and cleared saves but dont work, can help please? -

This issue was produced due to a change to PZ's core scripts introduced when Build 28's Hotfix #3 was released.  I've already patched the issue, however, and if you're using the latest version of RKFmod (v2.2) and playing a new game on Build 28 this should not occur.  Please provide the same information I requested from Dr_Cox1911 and I'll try to help you sort this out.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2014-09-11 21.27.34.png

That particular error is due to an item spawning in a container (and subsequently attempting to add a weapon addonto itself) but not finding a table listing for the weapon addon.  Usually this means I mispelled a varable when making changes/additions but, after checking the script again, I don't see any error in the code this time.  Also, all the icons should show up for you if you installed the mod correctly and remembered to close then reopen your client before loading a game.  Can you give me some more information as to what version of PZ you're using, version of RKFmod, where you installed the mod, if you started a new game with it, etc?

This mod is great :D, but I cant make recipes like bandages from sheets, open nails box or open ammo box, in console I get this: BUxLeX7.png

I dont understand why, I reinstalled and cleared saves but dont work, can help please? -

This issue was produced due to a change to PZ's core scripts introduced when Build 28's Hotfix #3 was released.  I've already patched the issue, however, and if you're using the latest version of RKFmod (v2.2) and playing a new game on Build 28 this should not occur.  Please provide the same information I requested from Dr_Cox1911 and I'll try to help you sort this out.

Thanks, now I update the game and work very fine! :D Im happy :D, great mod!

I am new here and this is only the second mod I have tried.  I tried payno lost weapons mod and it worked fine. So when I saw this mod I read over some of it and want to try it. Now I may have lost my other save game. I for got to back it up and that was my bad. But I started a new game anyway and wow this Kentucky mod is great.

First off as I have been realy playing PZ for a month (even if I bought it almost a year ago) and it is a great and fun game. But to me it feels like it missing one real big thing. I do not feel like I am in the US. I know it hard for anyone to put in to words if you do not live in the US. But it just dose not feel right. Now I live in California and it different from Kentucky. But even here I would likely see more handgun and shotguns then we see in the run of the mill PZ. In just a few hours of playing with this mod it get much closer to the feel of the US.

Next I think it great that you have one of my suggestions in your mod. Even if I just made it a week back and your mod months old. I had put in a suggestion for rain coats and you have that in your mod already. I was also going to put in a suggestion in the PZ forums for bug out bags. As someone who live in earthquake country we have bug out bags as well as earthquake kits. In my first few minutes of playing a new game on your mod I find a zed with a beat up bug out bag.

All and all only have about a hour in on this mod and I love it. I hope the Dev look at what you have done here. For the first time I feel like I am playing PZ in Kentucky. Now they need cars and it will be right. :)

Thank you Pravus for your work on this mod I hope it ok for me to say this is fun and I like what you have done here.

Pravus, I do some work with sounds and I have a deep interest in your mod. I have reworked many of the gun sounds for personal use with my friends, and I'd like to share them with you and see what you think. Can we get in touch?

Pravus, I do some work with sounds and I have a deep interest in your mod. I have reworked many of the gun sounds for personal use with my friends, and I'd like to share them with you and see what you think. Can we get in touch?

Of course!  Feel free to PM me anytime.  Most of the sound effects I acquired for use in RKFmod are low quality samples from various repositories that I did some filtering and quality upscaling on using Adobe Audition.  I'm little more than a novice when it comes to sound design/mixing/balancing/etc. but I enjoy the challenge of learning something new.  It would be great to see the work of someone more experienced than I and I'd love if you could give me a few tips in the process!