Realistic Kentucky Firearms Mod 2.26

Pravus

Im not sure man about it. Tested it again. Reload - freez.

Duuno, havn't re installed game this time but updatong the mod made no sense

Hmmm, I'm not sure what to tell you honestly.  I just started a fresh game with the mod version I uploaded, spawned in an MSR and some .308 ammo, and ran through two full magazines on Hardcore reload option without incident.

Are you seeing any sort of error or "stack trace" dialog in your console when this freeze occurs (assuming you can pull the console up to check during the freeze state)?

I'm afraid without more information I can't deduce a fix since I haven't been able to reproduce it on my end.  It actually still worked for me even before I made the changes in the hotfix so I'm a little confused by that myself.  I just assumed it was because I was testing on "Easy" reload option so it didn't have to call the magazine item (where the scripting error was located) in order to function but now I'm at a bit of a loss.

Using this mod and loving it, but a few things I've noticed are that finding guns is REALLY easy, every single household's cabinet has at least 2 guns in it, it kinda takes away from feeling powerful when you do finally get ahold of a firearm.

And, where is sheet metal gotten from? I think I've seen it around but now that I'm setup at my farm/safehouse and I want it to make shelves, I can't find it or where to get it and think I'm just missing something basic :(

Using this mod and loving it, but a few things I've noticed are that finding guns is REALLY easy, every single household's cabinet has at least 2 guns in it, it kinda takes away from feeling powerful when you do finally get ahold of a firearm.

And, where is sheet metal gotten from? I think I've seen it around but now that I'm setup at my farm/safehouse and I want it to make shelves, I can't find it or where to get it and think I'm just missing something basic :(

Yeah, I hear that critique about guns being overly prevalent a lot.  It actually used to be much worse in previous versions of the mod before I did some tweaking, lol.  The problem is in the ratio of the variety of new weapons RKFmod introduces and the current system Project Zomboid uses to distribute spawn.  Most weapons in the mod have at most a 0.1 spawn weight (think of that sort of like chance to spawn in particular location) in random households compared to vanilla PZ's guns which frequently had numbers like "2" or "4".  The huge list of added items the system checks and rolls probability for each time you open a container almost guarentees one or two of them will pass the check to spawn, even with very low spawn weight values.

I may experiment a bit more with the values to see if I can find something more reasonable in a future update but finding a balance is fairly difficult when dealing with such divergent values.  That said, I don't mind every house having one or two guns in them (PZ is set in Kentucky after all and practically every family I know has ownership of anywhere from 1 or 2, to 12+ firearms) but I can somewhat agree that the current spawn rates tend to be slightly higher than feels natural.

As far as sheet metal's spawn locations, make sure to check industrial buildings (think warehouses or storage) and the occassional trash bin ;)

I'm getting an error when shooting 22 rifles, a sound error for the gun that comes up every time I fire. Also I was wondering where I go to adjust spawn rates? Is there a lower spawn rate than .1? If not I was thinking I could change it so random houses only have a couple guns that can spawn there, because every single house I go into I find 1-10 guns usually at least 3 or 4 and several different types of ammunition. I get that it's kentucky, and I lived in Berea and Lexington for a while when I was younger but I don't like being able to find so many guns so easily, I mean I would expect to find a good amount of ammunition in houses that have firearms but finding 3 or 4 guns in every house really breaks immersion for me. Also it'd be cool if they spawned in a random condition but I have no clue if that's possible. Anyways I have some programming experience and I'm going to see if I can find the spawn table for PZ and adjust a few things and see if I can get the overall spawn rate down a bit. All that aside this is a sweet mod, I like that there is a ton of weapons and a good variety of ammo types, also just a bit of feedback, the name in front of all the apocalypse weapons is rather annoying. Maybe it's just me but it doesn't help immersion for me at all and makes it a lot harder to get into the game while using them. Oh and the different reloading modes don't seem to be working but to my knowledge they haven't been since I started playing version 27, it always reverts to easy. But overall great mod and thanks for uploading!

Edit: Ok I found the loot distribution file and I see the .1's and such, could I put a .01 or is that number

invalid?

Edit 2: Ok, so I've seen a couple things with less than .1 so I'm assuming it's valid. I'm going to adjust all the suburb wardrobe spawns to only have a .01 which I'm assuming converts to a percentage which is .01% chance to spawn, IE ten times less than what it currently is. After that I'm going to run it and see how many guns I'm finding in houses compared to the vanilla mod file.

I'm getting an error when shooting 22 rifles, a sound error for the gun that comes up every time I fire. Also I was wondering where I go to adjust spawn rates? Is there a lower spawn rate than .1? If not I was thinking I could change it so random houses only have a couple guns that can spawn there, because every single house I go into I find 1-10 guns usually at least 3 or 4 and several different types of ammunition. I get that it's kentucky, and I lived in Berea and Lexington for a while when I was younger but I don't like being able to find so many guns so easily, I mean I would expect to find a good amount of ammunition in houses that have firearms but finding 3 or 4 guns in every house really breaks immersion for me. Also it'd be cool if they spawned in a random condition but I have no clue if that's possible. Anyways I have some programming experience and I'm going to see if I can find the spawn table for PZ and adjust a few things and see if I can get the overall spawn rate down a bit. All that aside this is a sweet mod, I like that there is a ton of weapons and a good variety of ammo types, also just a bit of feedback, the name in front of all the apocalypse weapons is rather annoying. Maybe it's just me but it doesn't help immersion for me at all and makes it a lot harder to get into the game while using them. Great mod!

Thanks for the feedback!  Usually sound errors are caused when the script tries to call a soundfile name that doesn't exist.  I try to check and recheck all my scripting and I do find typos on rare occassion but I try to release a hotfix the moment I learn about it in those cases.  There have been times I've noticed with this mod (only once for me so far) and occassionally when I've played using similar mods like "Yet Another Weapons Mod" that for some reason the scripts occassionally think they're supposed to literally play a soundfile called "nil" or "null" and will give an error when it finds they don't exist.  I've circumvented this in the past by creating a blank .txt file and renaming it to "nil.ogg," null.ogg," or whatever name it claims its looking for (As a precaution for just this issue, you should find the files "nil.ogg," "null.ogg," and "none.ogg" in the mod's sound folder).  If this doesn't solve your issue, let me know specifically what the error says and I'll try to help come up with a fix (I use .22LR primarily when I play so I know its working fine for me on both the latest downloadable build and my development version).

On the issue of spawn rates, I'm currently experimenting with adjustments to the distribution file, however, it seems PZ's ItemPicker.lua has difficulty properly scaling very small spawn weights when picking from a very large array.  I'm currently testing a version with significantly lowered spawn weights (some as low as 0.000001) and I'm still seeing at least 1-3 firearms and 2-4 ammo spawns in most household furniture spawns.  I'd like to get those numbers down to 1-3 firearms maximum found throughout a whole house's possible loot spawn locations but, at the moment, there doesn't seem to be any way to do so without making a sizable amount of the mod's weapons unavailable for spawn in those locations, period.  If you still want to experiment with the numbers yourself you can find them in 'lua/server/Items/RKFDistribution.lua' in the mod's file folder.

Sorry that the Apocalypse Kit's unique items' name scheme annoys you.  The Apocalypse Edition of RKFmod was originally a private mod project for myself, as I wanted to recreate my own disaster/zombie kit from real life into game.  The name before most of the unique items is my own first name.  I named them this way since, well the AE of RKF was never intended to be made public, I simply enjoyed the additions so much I thought I might share them with the community, and I thought having my name tagged to them might reinforce that those items were true uniques.  You can't get them any other way than if you collect an Apocalypse Kit for your character in the Apocalypse Edition of the mod.

I'm seeing that the lower you drop the number, it does not necessarily spawn less items proportional to that number. Even with all wardrobes set to .01 or .02 which would theoretically be ten times less than originally implemented, there still seems to be a large abundance of weapons which is odd. Although I believe Tommy had the same issue with his weapons mod and still hasn't found a work around. But it's still a hell of a lot better than in RC2.0 and 2.5 where the new reloading system was just implemented and either the pistol was working and the shotgun wasn't and vice versa. 

Edit: One other minor thing, I'm noticing a strange bug when I try to open a window that I haven't seen before in the vanilla game which occurs when you try to open a window but aren't already positioned well on it and instead of moving you there your character grabs the window and just stands there halfway through the animation frozen. Don't know if it's related to this mod but I had never seen it before and I have seen it several times with this mod enabled.

-snip-

-snip-

As far as sheet metal's spawn locations, make sure to check industrial buildings (think warehouses or storage) and the occassional trash bin ;)

Hmm, have been checking those kinda places lately (just found my sledgehammer and some buckets finally)

I haven't found any sheetmetal at all, is there anyway I can craft it, or any known bugs of sheetmetal not spawning if I have other mods activated with this one? (I have no idea what else it could be, maybe i'm just really really unlucky with that sheetmetal?)

Also, the problem with the guns spawning because there's so much selection makes a lot of sense.

If there was a way to make sure only a single gun could spawn in each container that would probably make it a lot more reasonable, only 1 gun can spawn in each container and only 2 or 3 different types of ammo maybe? 
No idea if possible, but if done I could see that really helping with the rarity of guns from this mod! 

-snip-

-snip-

Hmm, have been checking those kinda places lately (just found my sledgehammer and some buckets finally)

I haven't found any sheetmetal at all, is there anyway I can craft it, or any known bugs of sheetmetal not spawning if I have other mods activated with this one? (I have no idea what else it could be, maybe i'm just really really unlucky with that sheetmetal?)

Also, the problem with the guns spawning because there's so much selection makes a lot of sense.

If there was a way to make sure only a single gun could spawn in each container that would probably make it a lot more reasonable, only 1 gun can spawn in each container and only 2 or 3 different types of ammo maybe? 
No idea if possible, but if done I could see that really helping with the rarity of guns from this mod! 

It isn't really doable because containers are only seperated by types. You could make it so only a couple guns can spawn in wardrobes, only a couple in bathroom counters, etc. But It's not really the variety that's doing it because proportionally the guns spawn rates aren't changing like you would expect them to. For example if you set the spawn rate of gun in a specific container to be 1 and then change it to .1 you would expect it to spawn 10 times less numerically. But from my tests this is not the case, and even when testing spawn rates at .0000000001 on all weapons for wardrobe spawns I am still getting 1-4 weapons per wardrobe and 1-4 ammunition types.

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

It isn't really doable because containers are only seperated by types. You could make it so only a couple guns can spawn in wardrobes, only a couple in bathroom counters, etc. But It's not really the variety that's doing it because proportionally the guns spawn rates aren't changing like you would expect them to. For example if you set the spawn rate of gun in a specific container to be 1 and then change it to .1 you would expect it to spawn 10 times less numerically. But from my tests this is not the case, and even when testing spawn rates at .0000000001 on all weapons for wardrobe spawns I am still getting 1-4 weapons per wardrobe and 1-4 ammunition types.

Can you tell me real quick where you are finding these spawn rates? I wanna look at them to make sure sheetmetal spawns in my world... 

Dunno. That thing with remington still occures.

Maybe i shuld re install server and mods on my remote machine?

Because i tried doing this on my home PC, and that freez is still freezing as soon as i trie to reload

---------------------------

SavageMarkIIF - no sound file on shooting - brings error

it was^ 

SwingSound	=	22RifleRifle, 

Fixed it myself on: 22RifleFire

RemingtonMSR - uninstalled the server side + my PC side + re-installed mods - same freez on realoading

Wasnt able to copy the log. here is the screenshot

111.png

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

Can you tell me real quick where you are finding these spawn rates? I wanna look at them to make sure sheetmetal spawns in my world... 

The distribution sheet for loot is here C:\Users\xxxx\Zomboid\mods\RKFmodAE\media\lua\server\Items

Dunno. That thing with remington still occures.

Maybe i shuld re install server and mods on my remote machine?

Because i tried doing this on my home PC, and that freez is still freezing as soon as i trie to reload

---------------------------

SavageMarkIIF - no sound file on shooting - brings error

it was^ 

SwingSound	=	22RifleRifle, 

Fixed it myself on: 22RifleFire

RemingtonMSR - uninstalled the server side + my PC side + re-installed mods - same freez on realoading

I'll be honest, I have no idea how the mod is breaking like that for you even with fresh installs.  I've checked the script for all of the items you've mentioned having problems with and, on the current downloadable version, all the script is correct and working perfectly fine for me.  I'm actually dumbfounded how this could occur.  The way you've described it, its like the script somehow accumulates errors somewhere between the time you download it to the time its installed to your client. :???:

Maybe, it will give u a clue.

I tried to edit some of the guns, just ti test em. 

I meodified SWMP22s

in some points:

MaxRange = 15, made it 18

CriticalChance = 40 to 50

MaxDamage = 1 to 2

ToHitModifier = 10, to something

when i sapwned it and re-loaded happend exactly same thing as with RemingtonMSR...

Also, maybe i shuld try on a fresh spawned weapon? 

Just a question

Do pistols/gun that do less damage and use more ammo (.22 LR, Ruger MKII handgun) also make less noise? I'm not sure if that's the case in real life or not but that'd be pretty handy if they did (pretty sure not though)

Also, do the guns have different sound levels or are they all either just shotgun or pistol distance?(soundwise)

Just a question

Do pistols/gun that do less damage and use more ammo (.22 LR, Ruger MKII handgun) also make less noise? I'm not sure if that's the case in real life or not but that'd be pretty handy if they did (pretty sure not though)

Also, do the guns have different sound levels or are they all either just shotgun or pistol distance?(soundwise)

All guns are different - crit chance, distance, noise, max and min damage, aiming

Been playing around a bit with the weights and such of this mod and I'm loving it. Only problem I'm having is that when I try to adjust the weight of mags things go a bit wrong. I changed the weight of the mag itself but that didn't have any effect of the mag so I changed the weight section for the G17 which made my additional mag 0.1 like I wanted but when I reloaded it, it just reverted to 1. Any clue why?

I like the mod already I've just installed it but there is one thing. When you set the world to high or abundant loot the guns overflow the containers probably a game thing but just letting you know. Also are gun textures going to be added?

Sorry I haven't been as prompt as usual with my replies but I was out of town the last few days in order to celebrate Independence Day with my family.  Thanks to those of you who answered other's questions while I was gone and I'll do my best to respond to the rest as necessary!

Maybe, it will give u a clue.

I tried to edit some of the guns, just ti test em. 

I meodified SWMP22s

in some points:

MaxRange = 15, made it 18

CriticalChance = 40 to 50

MaxDamage = 1 to 2

ToHitModifier = 10, to something

when i sapwned it and re-loaded happend exactly same thing as with RemingtonMSR...

That could very well be the route of your problem.  If you choose to try to customize any of the mod's settings you need to be mindful that multiple scripts in within the mod communicate with each other and the script dictating the behavior of specific items may not be contained completely in only one script.

For example, the changes you mentioned are from the java portion of the script that adds pistols to the list of recognizable items that can be referenced by the game for spawning, use by characters, etc.  However, that file does not fully define each gun and/or how it operates in isolation.  There are lua files that reference each new gun and (if necessary) their associated magazines.  The scripts in both locations have to be in agreement or serious operational errors are almost guarenteed to occur.

An example of this type of issue would be when it was discovered that the Ruger MK II pistols were acting as though they had infinite ammunition in earlier versions of the mod.  That major bug was caused entirely because I forgot to capitalise one letter in an item name reference between the java and lua files.  I'd suggest trying to run an un-modified version of my mod with your game first to make sure everything works as intended before tweaking any settings yourself.

Been playing around a bit with the weights and such of this mod and I'm loving it. Only problem I'm having is that when I try to adjust the weight of mags things go a bit wrong. I changed the weight of the mag itself but that didn't have any effect of the mag so I changed the weight section for the G17 which made my additional mag 0.1 like I wanted but when I reloaded it, it just reverted to 1. Any clue why?

This is likely a case of the same issue I addressed in the previous question.  There are multiple locations throughout the mod that dictate properties and behaviors of items added.  Modify the script at your own risk unless you're sure of what you're doing.

Does anyone know if this mod is compatible with TommyGuns or Payno-Lost Weapons? My reason is that I like the melee weapons and bows in TommyGuns and I love the new professions in Lost Weapons.

To the best of my knowledge RKF should work alongside TommyGuns or any other additional weapon modification.  Be warned, however, ammunition for firearms within modifications is defined by the parent modification so if multiple mods have for example "9mm bullets" for a weapon chambered in 9mm, you may see multiple spawns of "9mm bullets" with different graphics, quantities, etc. and only the ammunition defined within its parent mod will compatibly work with guns from the same parent mod.

I like the mod already I've just installed it but there is one thing. When you set the world to high or abundant loot the guns overflow the containers probably a game thing but just letting you know. Also are gun textures going to be added?

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.  I thought I had that bug corrected when I released v1.7 of the mod package but obviously it needs more attention.  I'm currently testing some new spawning values in hope of finding something more stable and realistic but I can't give any ETA at this time on when a fix will be ready.

On the question of gun textures, if you mean icons for each item, they all already have custom artwork but the textures won't load properly if you immediately start a game after activating the mod in PZ's mod loader for the first time.  I've mentioned this in the installation instructions for all previous releases but I've noticed many players have not been following instructions:  YOU MUST RESTART YOUR CLIENT AFTER ACTIVATING RKFMOD FOR THE FIRST TIME OR PZ WILL NOT PROPERLY LOAD THE CUSTOM ARTWORK UNTIL THE CLIENT HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN AND REOPENED WITH THE MOD ACTIVATED.  I may make mention of this again in the mods description on the download pages as a precaution for those who don't check the ReadMe's.

On the other hand, if you're asking about custom IsoSprites/Models/Skins for the new weapons so they don't all look like generic pistols or shotguns in the player character's hand, I am very interested in including custom artwork of this kind in the future.  Unfortunately, the modding community does not yet have access to proper tools to change these graphics without considerable difficulty and overall headache.  Once new tools are released simplifying the process of adding custom artwork of this kind I most certainly will see to adding custom models and/or skins for all the newly introduced items.

----------

I hope I was able to satisfactorily answer everyone's questions/concerns!  Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know or have looked at and I'll respond as soon as I am able!  Thanks for playing with and enjoying my mod!