Realistic Kentucky Firearms Mod 2.26

Pravus

m0g34cduh7nbim4fg.jpg

By Pravus

Hey guys!  Here is my new mod package Realistic Kentucky Firearms!

I personally live in Kentucky and have been to the real Muldraugh so I obviously love that

Project Zomboid is set in Kentucky!  While playing one evening I had the idea to make a mod that made

PZ's Kentucky feel a bit more like home and this is the result.

FEATURES

The standard pistol, rifles, and shotgun (as well as their ammunition) have been removed from spawning in the game.

In there place are the following new firearms, modeled after guns I know are commonly owned by my own family, friends, and neighbors:

• H&R Model 999 .22 LR Revolver
  • Ruger MKII .22 LR automatic
  • Walther P22 .22 LR automatic
  • S&W Model 39-2 9mm automatic
  • Browning Hi Power 9mm automatic
  • Glock G17 9mm automatic
  • Taurus Model 82 .38 Special Revolver
  • S&W Model 637 .38 Special Revolver
  • Glock 31 .357 SIG automatic
  • Colt Python .357 Magnum Revolver
  • Taurus Model 608 .357 Magnum Revolver
  • Glock 22 .40 S&W automatic
  • Hi-Point .40 S&W automatic
  • SIG Sauer P226 .40 S&W automatic
  • Taurus Model 444 Raging Bull .44 Magnum Revolver
  • Kimber 1911 .45 automatic
  • Hi-Point JHP .45 automatic
  • Ruger 10/22 Rifle
  • Marlin Model 795 .22 LR Rifle
  • Savage Mark II F .22 LR Rifle
  • Bushmaster Carbon 15 .223 Rifle
  • SIG Sauer M400 .223 Rifle
  • Colt AR15-A3 .223 Rifle
  • Ruger Mini-14 .223 Rifle
  • Marlin Model 336W .30-30 Rifle
  • Weatherby Vanguard .30-06 Rifle
  • Winchester Model 70 .30-06 Rifle
  • Remington Model 770 .308 Rifle
  • Norinco SKS 7.62x39mm Rifle
  • Yugoslavian Model 59/66 SKS 7.62x39mm Rifle
  • Mossberg 500 JIC 12 Gauge
  • Ithica Model 37 12 Gauge
  • Browning BPS 12 Gauge
  • H&R Tracker II 20 Gauge
  • Mossberg 505 Bantam 20 Gauge
  • Stevens Model 512 .410 Bore
  • and more!

Weapon Modifications are now available:
    -slings
    -adjustable stocks
    -scopes
    -high visibility sights
    -laser sights
    -shotgun chokes
    plenty more to discover!

* Different firearm makes and models have different sized magazines/capacity compared to others of the same calibre *

* All shotguns (with the exception of the Mossberg 500 JIC) can be sawn off *

* 12 gauge shotguns fire buckshot while 20 gauge and 410 shoot birdshot.  Birdshot will fire more projectiles but with less damage per hit than buckshot. *

Miscellaneous Additions Include:

* Zombies no longer carry firearms/ammunition in their inventories (Kentuckians don't usually walk around armed to the teeth, lol) *

* Firearms can be repaired by using Bore Brush Sets, Gun Oil, or Gunsmith Kits.  Each has a different rarity and amount of uses before they are used up. *

Also, since most adult males I know who live in Kentucky carry a pocket knife (we take it for granted but almost everyone traditionally has one on them everywhere they go) for general tool use or protection, male zombies have a high chance to drop two new types of knife!

The more common of the two is a standard Pocket Knife.  It's damage and durability aren't great but it'll do in a pinch!

The less common drop is a Lockblade Knife.  Not as good as a hunting knife but its better than rotating through broken kitchen knives!

Multitools can sometimes be found (if you're lucky) at hardware shops or department stores.  They can function as a weak knife, can opener, and screwdriver in one!

Bags of Charcoal have been added to spawn lists and contain "Charcoal Briquettes," a new fuel for grills.

Firesteel and Magnesium Bar sets can be found as a rare spawn.  Using a context menu on the item itself, you can produce "Magnesium Shavings" (a fire starting agent) then light a fire by sparking the firesteel to ignite the shavings!

Using a knife on a wooden stick produces a "tinder bundle."  These can be used in conjunction with lighters, matches, or firesteel to light a fire.

**NEW**EXTENDED CARPENTRY SKILL: Now when carrying either a screwdriver or multitool you will gain access to a new carpentry skill based menu labeled, "Construct."

•     Construction recipes mostly revolve around assembling things from screws and a few new, limited resources (ie. - "sheetmetal," "cinderblocks," etc.)
  •     Just like carpentry with a hammer, once adequate skill level, proper materials, and a tool capable of displaying the menu are obtained you can click a recipe to place your new construction in the world.

Rain Parkas can occassionally be discovered.  When worn in your torso slot (it *will* replace your current shirt, this is a Project Zomboid code limitation) it will protect you from progressing past "Damp" status when out in the rain!

Even more rare are Ballistic Jerseys.  These jackets are typically worn by motocross riders and have hardened plates integrated throughout their construction to provide impact protection.  They won't do much good against a knife or a bullet but zombies occassionally have a hard time chewing through them...

RoboMat's Lockpicking Mod has been integrated into RKF, but I've done some tinkering:

•     Bobby pins are practically an anachronism in this day and age so they have been removed entirely.
  • To replace lockpicking with bobby pins, you can now perform "lock bumping" (a more modern breaking and entering approach that requires less skill to learn and perform) once you acquire the correct equipment.
  • In certain locations you can now occassionally find "blank keys" and  "metal files."  Once you have one of each you can file a "bump key."
  • Keep the bump key in your inventory and you will get the option to "bump locks" when you encounter locked doors from then on!

Occassionally a zombie may die with the shredded remains of the "bug out bag" they were carrying to survive before they died (the first time) still hanging off their back.  Its unfortunate that these poor souls didn't make it but, if you're lucky, maybe some of their supplies did...

Preppers who were killed in the first waves of the zombie apocalypse before making their way home to gear up may have left some decent gear up for grabs but don't expect to stumble upon such treasures frequently.

*Note: due to changes in the PZ client's firearms coding, RKFmod currently requires Build 28 or higher to use*

- updated to v2.26 -

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2pyasvbfftfvjdf/RKFmod.rar

Download APOCALYPSE EDITION:

*see post below for explanation*

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1ilcoa19rim0cc7/RKFmodAE.rar

MAKE SURE TO RESTART YOUR CLIENT AFTER ACTIVATING RKFMOD FOR THE FIRST TIME OR PZ WILL NOT PROPERLY LOAD THE CUSTOM ARTWORK UNTIL THE CLIENT HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN AND REOPENED WITH THE MOD ACTIVATED!

MAY REQUIRE STARTING A NEW SAVE IN ORDER FOR ALL ADDITIONS/CHANGES TO TAKE EFFECT PROPERLY!

Hope you all enjoy the experience!  Feel free to leave comments, questions, and/or feedback in this thread!

*** BIG THANKS TO RoboMat, Stormy, FLAKT, and NCrawler!  Particularly RoboMat, for giving me permission to include my modified variant of his RMLockpicking Mod as part of my mod package, NCrawler, because your advice and distribution script were instrumental in making this mod live up to my expectations, and FLAKT for his contribution to improving the mod's sound design!  ***

2.0 Version History
---------------------------------
2.0 - Initial Release
        Much of the mod has been nearly completely rebalanced and/or rewritten
        Absolute overhaul of the distribution system.  Firearm spawns are now balanced with the tone of the core game experience.
        Probably a lot more that I can't remember (I was working on this for a couple of weeks both before and after the PZ Build 28 update so I actually can't remember all of the balance changes and upgrades I made at this point, lol).

2.01 - Minor hotfix to correct a sound error caused by a typo I made on a lua variable (whoops!)
          Included a few code optimizations and clean ups as well

2.02 - Randomly stumbled upon a fix for the normal and hardcore difficulty reloading issue so another quick hotfix!

2.1   - Cleaned up the Construct menu's code as well as making several new additions.  They include: a wall mounted metal shelf, a metal counter, a medicine cabinet, chainlink fencing, and concrete floors!
          Fixed distribution error preventing loose firearm addons from spawning in the gun store.
          Repaired the audio file for loading revolvers (there was a delay in the sound playing) and fixed the broken icons for the extended SKS and AR magazines.
          Repaired error keeping campfires and tents from placing correctly.

2.11 - Repaired remaining errors in Reloading scripts.  Extended Magazines should apply bonus capacity correctly and firearms shouldn't click like machine guns when dry fired now.
          Removed Prescription Stimulants temporarily due to client code change complications.
          Corrected bug in Construct system code preventing creation of constructables under particular circumstances.

2.12 - Repaired distribution bug preventing proper spawning for certain items in the gunstore (thanks smite2001 for alerting me to this!)
          Hotfix applied to correct error preventing recipes from working following build 28 IWBUMS latest code changes.

2.2 -  Further tuned the reloading system to be more stable across all difficulties (Normal and Hardcore reloading are now highly recommended for realism and extra challenge)
        Temporarily disabled all extended magazine firearm add-ons until the PZ dev team can get them to properly apply to firearms and removable magazines.
        Lock Bumping no longer requires a screwdriver to perform (I tested this irl and was able to bump a lock successfully using only the flat of my hand)
        Added several new custom sound effects to player actions to heighten immersion.

Multitools now spawn folded (like pocket knives) and must be unfolded to use/allow them to act as screwdrivers and can openers.

2.25-  Repaired scripting error that caused wall mounted wire shelves and the medicine cabinet to only display north and west sprites (thanks to gaunti12 for alerting me to this mistake!)
          Completely reworked sound effects.  Now all sound effects are very high quality and better match PZ's existing ambience (HUGH THANK YOU TO FLAKT FOR HIS INVALUABLE CONTRIBUTION AND ADVICE!)
          Fixed reloading ammunition to magazines in Normal and Hardcore reload difficulties not awarding xp.
          Added option to create a log pile out of uncut logs.  Works as a storage container but cosmetically just looks like stacked timber.

2.26-  *Hotfix* I missed an experimental change I made during testing which left the Stevens Model 512 inoperable.  Fix commited!  Sorry about that!

Do these weapons have their own sprites?

The do not currently have custom sprites (the dev team has only given us modding access to icon images and map resources utilitzing the Zomboid Map Tool.)  It does however have a full set of custom icons and new firing sound effects for each calibre weapon.

I *am* interested in eventually improving the graphics as we get new resources to play with over time and I learn more about modding.

Wow. This is great. One suggestion though.. I see you removed firearms from zombies. Remember, just when a zombie apocalypse start, people would equip guns in their home to protect theirselves, as we do. I would suggest, reimplementing that

Wow. This is great. One suggestion though.. I see you removed firearms from zombies. Remember, just when a zombie apocalypse start, people would equip guns in their home to protect theirselves, as we do. I would suggest, reimplementing that

Thanks for the praise!  You're absolutely right that people would arm at the start of the zombie apocalypse and I took that into consideration.  My thoughts were that, since zombies aren't the most coordinated of creatures, the undead wouldn't be able to effectively continue to carry a firearm they might have held in life. 

An exception to that of course would be holstered weapons since they wouldn't need to be actively carried and I am considering revisions with things like that in mind for future updates (I should be publishing another one soon with a few bug fixes and improvements regardless).  My primary concern, beyond the realism factor, is balance.  I'll have to do significant testing if I decide to add any weapon spawns back to zombies to ensure that firearms don't become too prevalent.  I feel like I've hit a nice balance right now in that firearms and ammo are common enough to be found in houses, etc. fairly regularly to give the illusion that maybe those residents didn't make it home in time to fortify or were killed before mounting a decent defense.  Plus the lack of new spawns being implimented into the world means that ammo becomes more and more precious as time goes by since unless you find a fresh location to loot there's no more spawning in.  It creates a sense of desperation and entropy that I think flows with the games other timed events (ie. - power and water cut off).

I do appreciate the suggestion though and I'd love to hear more!

P.S. - If you're playing the mod and you're hurting to stockpile some decent firearms and ammunition, I scripted in a few locations that reflected real life concentrations of armory.  I would recommend checking police stations, the gun store, and the sporting goods counter of any Mega Marts you come across...

I originally started adding to my personal development version of the mod some personalized items based off of my own disaster kit that I've been putting together over the last few years.  I call it my "Apocalypse Kit" due to my intention in creating it to make a modular gear set capable of keeping a person alive if they suddenly found them self to be the last living person on earth.  I've had a lot of fun with it myself so...

Announcing

7saw4opu0ajqga4fg.jpg

RKFmod Apocalypse Edition is a secondary release of RKFmod for those who would enjoy advanced start mods or simply enjoy a bit more early gunplay.

Due to limitations of the PZ engine and my still emerging knowledge of the script I could not add my entire real life kit but

in game you will receive:

1x EVS BJ22 Ultra Body Armor Ballistic Jersey

1x Large Military Style Recon Pack (22 slot)

1x Filled Water Bladder (equivalent to approx. 3 ltr.)

1x Sealed MRE (just add water to activate the chemical heater pack)

1x LED Flashlight (slightly lower light thrown but more energy efficient than standard flashlights)

1x Foldable Entrenching Tool

1x M9 Bayonet Knife

1x S&W M&P Linerlock Knife

1x Smith & Wesson M&P22 Handgun (12 round edition with bonus accuracy awarded from laser sight)

1x Ruger 10/22 Archangel "Nomad" Rifle (25 round magazines)

1x Three Point Tactical Sling

1x Red Dot Scope

1x Adjustable Stock

450x rounds of .22 LR ammunition

1x SOG EOD PowerAssist Multitool (functions as a weak knife, a screwdriver, metal file, and a can opener)

1x Empty Metal Bottle (retextured water bottle, again included personally for RP)

1x Firesteel and Magnesium Block with Striker

1x Roll of Electrical Tape

1x Needle

1x Thread

1x Rope

1x Digital Watch

1x Lighter

1x Wallet (These last few were included entirely for RP.  I'm never without my lighter, watch, or wallet, lol)

Several of these items are tagged with my real name in front of them and don't spawn any other way in the mod so this is a chance to experience some bonus content originally unintended for public release!

Instructions:

To receive the Apocalypse Kit in game, create a character and press the "End" key anytime after loading into the world.  The items will be deposited directly into your inventory.  *Be warned*, despite providing a *significant* boost to your early game you can only receive the Apocalypse Kit once per game!

Aside from the addition of open access to the Apocalypse Kit, RKFmod v2.26 Apocalypse Edition is identical to standard RKFmod v2.26 so, aside from the fun "cheat content" there are no additional changes.  Which mod you chose to play with is entirely up to which best suits your flavor of play style.

*Note: due to changes in the PZ client's firearms coding, RKFmod currently requires Build 28 or higher to use*

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1ilcoa19rim0cc7/RKFmodAE.rar

BE SURE TO RESTART YOUR CLIENT AFTER ACTIVATING RKFMODAE FOR THE FIRST TIME OR PZ WILL NOT PROPERLY LOAD THE CUSTOM ARTWORK UNTIL THE CLIENT HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN AND REOPENED WITH THE MOD ACTIVATED!

MAY REQUIRE STARTING A NEW SAVE IN ORDER FOR ALL ADDITIONS/CHANGES TO TAKE EFFECT PROPERLY!

Thanks for all the positive feedback and support!  Feel free to respond with more questions, concerns, criticisms, etc!

Awsome mod, but i cant get icons work correct, all i get is ths round "?" icon

Thanks for giving it a try!

The "?" icon usually means your client can't find the textures for some reason.  Did you remember to restart your PZ client after activating the mod for the first time to let the textures load properly?

The "?" icon usually means your client can't find the textures for some reason.  Did you remember to restart your PZ client after activating the mod for the first time to let the textures load properly?

Its Ok now, most ppl as myself needed to relog once they found some stuff from mod to see icons correct

Its Ok now, most ppl as myself needed to relog once they found some stuff from mod to see icons correct

Glad to hear it!  Let me know if you run across any major bugs and I'll do my best to fix them when I can.

Glad to hear it!  Let me know if you run across any major bugs and I'll do my best to fix them when I can.

I do! And thanks again. I run a closed RP server, ppl really enjoy it

whats the most powerful gun of this mod (dps wise)? yugoslavian sks?

That's honestly a difficult question to accurately answer.  I literally studied the comparative average effective distance, velocity, and relative stopping power via projectile mass for each calibre to determine performance values.

All guns within the same calibre of ammunition have the same damage and knockdown values and variances in accuracy and effective range are effected only by average barrel length.  That said, damage per second would take into account fire-rate and recoil as well as how long it takes on average to reload the firearm's magazine (which is affected by capacity and varies by make and model).

So, to answer your question I don't know that I could really accurately say which firearm has the highest theoretical potential dps but, as far as top end damage is concerned, I can tell you that the highest contenders would likely be one of the following:

• both the .44 Magnum and .45 ACP rounds have very high potential damage and stopping power but suffer from high recoil, short effective range, and relatively small magazines (on average).
  • The 7.62x39 rifles hit hard and have decent range making them a potential top tier weapon, though of the two SKS, you'll likely want to get your hands on a Norinco over a Yugoslavian model (they're better quality irl and the Norinco features a much larger magazine in this mod.  I scripted the Yugoslavian SKS to only use the 10 round box magazine they ship with.)
  • The .30-06 has the highest damage per shot and range of any rifle in the mod but its limited magazine size and slow reload hurt its potential to sustainably project force in long engagements.

Hope some that information is somewhat helpful to you since I couldn't truly provide an answer!

Found a bug - Browning BPS 12 Gauge is lacking a gunshot sound, drops an error while shooting

Hmm, can you copy the text of the error it throws for me?  I attempted to reproduce the bug on my end and everything ran smoothly.  Just as a precaution, I'm going to reupload both versions of RKFmod from my current stable development build since I haven't found any bugs in it so far (I'm actually working right now to possibly expand the set of features for future versions).

Let me know if this "hotfixed" version still throws an error and I'll try to discern the cause.

Edit: Downloads updated to "hotfixed" version!

**ANNOUNCEMENT**

Just released v1.7 of RKFmod!

1.7 contains some fairly extensive additions and revisions that I and the community wanted implemented when possible.  Let me know what everyone thinks of the changes and new systems!

Edit: Hotfixed to v1.7a.  I mistyped a variable (I was scripting late at night again...) and some of the new "Construct" menu wasn't functioning properly.  Should be all clear now!  Sorry for the misshap!

Edit: Looks like I was terribly, horribly wrong, lol.  Chock another mistake up to the novice scripter!  Somewhere I messed something up much worse than I thought in late testing and I stayed up all night practically rewriting the script to fix it (no small feat for someone with Ideopathic Hypersomnia btw...  I'm exhausted).  The good news is after checking, rechecking, and triple-checking the script along with hours of testing I can now guarentee that the "Construct" system is bug free!  v1.7b is up for download.  Yayyy~~~  ...I'm going to sleep...

Edited by Pravus

RugerMKII does not need ammo to shoot.

Thanks for the bug report.  I'll look into it right away!

Update: Alright, I corrected the issue (it was a simple typo in one of my lua files) and since I was working on some updates for the next version already I went ahead and released this as v1.75.  There are couple new features plus the hotfix included.  All downloads have been updated!

Edited by Pravus

Great mod!

I just recently installed it on my server and I'm trying to test everything out before I go live. While admin I tried to /additem a Bushmaster Carbon 15 and it's accompanying ammo. That all went fine, but I'm unable to load or reload the weapon with the ammo. I've used "R" and tried the "Reload" option in the right-click menu as well with no luck.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

EDIT : I'm sorry, I have the AE version installed and so far every weapon I've added to my inventory will not reload it's magazine no matter what I try. =/

Alright, I'll take a look at both issues straight away!  Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply sooner but I've been out of town for a few days tending to family matters.

---------

Ok, the freeze error was due to a missing sound file.  That has been fixed and I'll be uploading an updated package shortly.

Tuck Fheman, I couldn't replicate your issue on my side (and I use the AE version for continual development).  All weapons seemed to be reloading and firing normally.  What type of reload is your client set to: Easy, Normal, or Hardcore?  If its on hardcore have you been wracking the slide after reloading your magazines?  (The game's documentation doesn't go over that very well and I had trouble at first myself.  After inserting rounds into a magazine and reinserting the magazine you have to cock your weapon to be able to chamber a round and fire on Hardcore mode.  This is done by tapping the "Space" key.  If you don't wrack your slide on that mode your weapon will just click as though its empty when you try to fire.)

---------

Updated mod now available for download!  Let me know if you guys come across anymore severe bugs.

Edited by Pravus

I updated that version but thers still something wrong with that RemingtonMSR.

It was freezing in the whole end of reloading, now its in the very beginning.

I thought its something in my client but i fully re installed the game and mods. Same trouble

Also this Nathans Entrancing things seems not to be working anyhow except hittng with it

I thought its something in my client but i fully re installed the game and mods. Same trouble

Also this Nathans Entrancing things seems not to be working anyhow except hittng with it

Hmmm, that's strange I loaded one of the MSRs up on the version I have currently available for download and I was able to use it without issue.  I even fired through about 3 magazines just to make sure and it was working great.  I'll try to do some more investigating on that.

The entrenching tool is an experimental item that I thought I deactivated in this release (its very buggy and still in early testing).  If its freely accessable I may need to make a hotfix.

I'll let you know as soon as I figure something out on both issues.

----------------

I found the issue with the MSR.  My apologies on that one.  It seems I had slightly different information between its script and its Reloading.lua entry.  I've corrected the mistake and uploaded a hotfixed version for download.

As far as the Entrenching Tool goes, it looked to be deactivated for player use in the versions I uploaded before but if you do manage to obtain it somehow you're welcome to mess around with it.  Its intended not to be obtainable currently due to balance issues, an issue where it current repairs itself every time you fold it up for storage, and the fact that I haven't been able to get the game to recognize it as a shovel currently.  I may still release a version of it once I feel more comfortable with the end result but I can't give any ETA on when I might consider such.

Edited by Pravus

Hmmm, that's strange I loaded one of the MSRs up on the version I have currently available for download and I was able to use it without issue.  I even fired through about 3 magazines just to make sure and it was working great.  I'll try to do some more investigating on that.

The entrenching tool is an experimental item that I thought I deactivated in this release (its very buggy and still in early testing).  If its freely accessable I may need to make a hotfix.

I'll let you know as soon as I figure something out on both issues.

----------------

I found the issue with the MSR.  My apologies on that one.  It seems I had slightly different information between its script and its Reloading.lua entry.  I've corrected the mistake and uploaded a hotfixed version for download.

As far as the Entrenching Tool goes, it looked to be deactivated for player use in the versions I uploaded before but if you do manage to obtain it somehow you're welcome to mess around with it.  Its intended not to be obtainable currently due to balance issues, an issue where it current repairs itself every time you fold it up for storage, and the fact that I haven't been able to get the game to recognize it as a shovel currently.  I may still release a version of it once I feel more comfortable with the end result but I can't give any ETA on when I might consider such.

Im not sure man about it. Tested it again. Reload - freez.

Duuno, havn't re installed game this time but updatong the mod made no sense