Should i call off and play Zomboid again?

IronCoffins

Ok did it long ago when i first played this game, i actually called off work to do so, it was like i was in high school again, playing hookey. So now comes the fun part, have any of you hard working adults ever call off for a game before? and what game was it and excuse did you make up,hehe  The list below is not in order, just some of the games that came to mind. 

Gauntlet-No school,diarrhea

Legend of Zelda-Link to the past- No school, sick,hehe

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time-No school, food poising

GTA IV-No school,fever

Guild Wars 2- No work,family problems 

Sim Theme Park-No Work,stomach achs

Project Zomboid,No Work,family problems,stomach achs, funerals, death in famliy,fever, no baby sitter, car broke down, pipes in house broke,ect ect,

Want this to be a fun topic and by no means encouraging you calling off from anything. But i made it though school just fine thank you and have a had a few odd and end jobs since then but doing great. But it has been 3 months,think its time to call off!yay!  

Initial release for State of Decay on xbox, I just planned for it and scheduled a day off... does that count?   That's my most recent one... I have called in for other games in the past, but the game titles escape me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure I played hooky back when I was a kid to play original golden cartridge Zelda.  But I can't honestly say I remember having done so, just remember playing the hell out of that game... spending hours burning every bush and blowing up ever rock wall in search of secret passages.  =D

I'm just going to come out and say this - Lying to a superior to get time off work to play video games, is sad.

I can tell you, Project Zomboid will still be here next week, but if you get caught out taking illegitimate 'sick' days for entertainment purposes, your job (and source of income) may not.

I hope for your sake that you are not silly enough to risk your job over a little extra gaming time. If anything, spend a little less time sleeping to get in some extra gaming hours. Or use your holiday pay to take an extra long weekend or two.

Nay, though a sick day has turned into a day where if I wasn't in bed I was gaming. Just gotta make sure you stay off social networks if you have any of your coworkers on them. Even the slightest suspicion that you called off to game can probably fuck you over, even if you're gaming while you're legitimately sick or if you legitimately called off but end up gaming later in the day and are seen to be doing so.

I'm just going to come out and say this - Lying to a superior to get time off work to play video games, is sad.

I can tell you, Project Zomboid will still be here next week, but if you get caught out taking illegitimate 'sick' days for entertainment purposes, your job (and source of income) may not.

I hope for your sake that you are not silly enough to risk your job over a little extra gaming time. If anything, spend a little less time sleeping to get in some extra gaming hours. Or use your holiday pay to take an extra long weekend or two.

I'd argue that sacrificing sleep is not any better.

School - Portal 2. Though it was more of an added bonus, real reason was something else I won't go in to.

My parents wouldn't have ever let me get away with that when I was in school.

Now that I'm an adult, I have enough connections in the PC gaming industry that I rarely have to wait for release day to play most games. I either get Early Access, closed or open betas, or just have a friendly chat with the dev and get a copy (like Intruder which at one time had only a few slots open to buy; I had a chat with the lead developer in private and he sent me an unpublished link to get the game). It also helps that I play very few AAA games, and when I do I typically wait until they're on sale or price reduced.

called off to play, never. went to lunch and got sucked into a poker game at a friends that i did not leave until 2am...........9 or 10 times back in the 90's when i was young and dumb.

for a video game though....never

(now i'm just dumb, and not so young)

I'd argue that sacrificing sleep is not any better.

School - Portal 2. Though it was more of an added bonus, real reason was something else I won't go in to.

Word, there's too much of an emphasis with putting in a lot of hours both in the US and now other countries are following that terrible trend. I know a lot of people that do a very good job of appearing to be productive but are actually terrible employees. Low and behold, quality of hours is more important then quantity, which comes to show you how the current paradigm is screwed up. Work for most jobs is structured as if we are a bunch of goddamn farmers. I gotta get up at 7am and it's bs. Right now, since I stayed up later than usual, I'll only have six and a half hours to sleep and that is not healthy. The whole system is BS and cares little about the health and well being of average people. Why? Cause we are treated like drones, and drones don't need sleep.

That being said yes, I've called off work before for a videogame . . . . it was last year and the game was neverwinter nights 2. That was bad though cause I played that game way too much, I was on the computer too much anyway in those days.

I was surprised to see how many have initially shuned the thought of calling in to get yourself some personal free time with something you enjoy.  Dealing with friends, family, loved ones, jobs, school, hunger, chores, errands, bills, blah blah blah, it's sometime the best thing you can do for yourself... to take time off and dive into something that makes you happy.  Granted, friends usually also partake in gaming, but often I find myself doing what my friends want versus them doing what I want, and most my r/l friends don't do gaming like I do.   

I, too, can get behind the notion of calling off sometimes when not sick. I'm not saying it's "right," but sometimes you just need to take a step back and forget about stuff for a while- whether it's reading a book, wandering around in the woods, or playing a video game, it's not what you're doing that matters, it's what you're not doing.

And while "do that stuff in your time off" is a decent enough counter, sometimes it's important to break up the normal schedule- especially for people who work repetive jobs on an unchanging schedule. It's healthy (mentally and physically) and important to give yourself a change of pace sometimes.

Well said, yes in truth if or when I do call off its not about a game allways, though I initially find myself playing a game anyways. Also on a side note some of these comments had me turning my head for a moment. Am I really getting  "lectures" from people on my money,getting fired,my life,ect. Then again I wouldent expect anything else, people get way off topic about everything  all the time anyways, surprised theres no comments on religion or politics for F.sakes

Anyhow I hope for someone out there had a rough day at work with the call-offs cuz you know I had fun ;)

I've been trying to marry Project Zomboid for some time now, but I can't find where to put the ring!

Instead of hearing how "bad" calling off is I want to hear, what game and excuse used when you did it, that was the original question cuz im curious. So if you excuse me I gotta make a call to work. 

But sometimes I need time for myself plus the weekends, and you guys still have the right to say what your gonna say anyways, I guess the topic should have been who else called off to play this game?

Rathlord you couldent of said it better myself. Yes a change of pace at times, and way and my way to "get away from it all" sometimes when we just don't feel it,

Rathlord couldent of said it better myself, sometimes yes I do need a change of pace and sometimes to "get away from it all" cuz I do have a repitive job and you just get burnt out at times. PZ has made my life better, for I've been wanting & waiting for a true zombie survival horror game. and this is it, for me at least and I thank you devs all the time. I guess the off topic-ness from people just on this discussion is just an example of why the devs closed the thread for the  upcoming build 27 discussion,. amongst others.

Gawwwwwww I'm far too honest to pull sickies for video games.

I've faked it (like everyone else) many times both through school and previous depressing jobs, but I tend to apply for days off in advance for release dates.

I booked days off for ArcheAge recently, Ironically ended up spending them playing Zomboid and Watchdogs. Not at the same time though...

Zombdogs!... Watchdoid... Proje-....MMmm 

I'm done now.

to be honest, i have called in sick many times over the past 26 working years. sometimes actual illness, sometimes due to migraines, and sometimes because the spawn was on at a local lake and the fishing was good..............and even if it was not so good, still better than being at work.

if i happened to wind up playing a game while i was recovering, well that was just coincidental  and merely a way to pass the time.

I gotta get up at 7am and it's bs. Right now, since I stayed up later than usual, I'll only have six and a half hours to sleep and that is not healthy. The whole system is BS and cares little about the health and well being of average people. Why? Cause we are treated like drones, and drones don't need sleep.

That being said yes, I've called off work before for a videogame . . . . it was last year and the game was neverwinter nights 2. That was bad though cause I played that game way too much, I was on the computer too much anyway in those days.

Shit, it's a tough life eh son?

I start one of my jobs at 4am, 4 days a week. My usual bedtime is somewhere between 10pm and midnight.

To begin with though, I don't live in the US (not sure what, or why living in the States and working long hours has to do with anything), but regardless, if you don't enjoy your job enough to want to turn up to work every day, then it's time to quit, get some skills, and chase down that job you dream of having.

Seriously, why the heck would you work a job if it was tedious, boring, and something you didn't get out of bed each morning looking forward to starting?

Lastly, calling in sick to have days off to break up the monotony? I don't know where you guys are from, but we having this thing called holiday pay for that. Pick a date at least a week or two in advance, and have some 'legitimate' time off, from a few days, to a couple of weeks (and then your boss/manager/superior isn't screwed over, because they expect you to be absent, and can schedule staff around it). With some of the attitudes and admissions in this thread, I'm not overly surprised you guys hate your jobs - if I was supervising someone like many of you, I'd be sure to assign them the worst of the work, simply because of their poor attitude.

You're clearly a better human being than half of us, Realmkeeper.

And I poop rainbows, yet I called in sick some times.

Not for a game. Was playing with the thought but nah. It doesn't have this "recreational" value to me.

GTA V had me excited but I ended up using a day of vacation.

I got the day off from my boss for PZ's Steam launch, which was really coolski.

Not sure how calling in sick means you hate your job.

It's great if you're in love with your job, but I doubt you're jumping out of your bed every day with a smile on your face while skip-jumping to your work and dancing around people.

There are days better spent elsewhere.

Seriously, why the heck would you work a job if it was tedious, boring, and something you didn't get out of bed each morning looking forward to starting?

Well maybe to afford food and rent for yourself and your family.

Who are you to judge?

Sorry, that was my rant after getting home from a long day of work  :mellow:

Well maybe to afford food and rent for yourself and your family.

Who are you to judge?

Though I can accept that many people do not try to achieve some sense of personal happiness, I cannot understand why.

I am not one to 'judge', but certainly hold a strong personal opinion on self-worth. Not striving for your best, both for yourself, and those you hold close, is akin to not caring at all.

Having a day off for a game launch, or any other 'once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity is vastly different from having a day off to get in a few extra hours of something that will still be there this evening, tomorrow, next week, next month... In my eyes, having an unannounced day off work to do something that you can do (almost) any time, is not too far off a problem gambler having the day off work to hit up the pokies (emphasis: in my opinion).

Think a moment about those it affects, people put out from their intended/expected routine, or called in to work on their day off because someone is having the day off, 'unable to attend work themselves'.

I do love my jobs, sometimes one more than the others, but even if I'm legitimately sick enough to have a day off but can still manage a half day, I'll be up for it. To me, it's a bit of a "I'll scratch your back, if you scratch mine" type situation - get what you give - what comes around, goes around sort of philosophy.

We can't make the world a better place, without starting with ourselves. And having a day off to feed my personal addiction wouldn't really be helping anyone now, would it? (in reference to calling in sick to play a video game)

(I do not intend to come across as demeaning to anyone, but would hope that at least a few of you come away with a bit of food for thought. We all have 'down' days, and we all have to inconvenience others at some time or other. I just wouldn't expect someone to go out of their way to assist me in my personal addiction. Take it or leave it at face value)

well were all different in the end and do all sorts of crazy stuff for our own reasons don't we. Its allways a fine line between "have to" and "want to" as well as "Do I need it or want it"(allways a good thing to say before buying something, I can say I need and want zomboid pretty much the only game I've been playing for the last year in a half). I say that for Realmkeeper that said if you hate your job why be there kinda thing. That's the same for anything in life man, food shelter and bills is are survival these days. But you saying that for work, that's like people living in the slums, because they want to, u get me.

phewww. been working since last week on Thursday and wont get a day off till this Sat & Sun. Dam I hate when its like this, sometimes. As a result I have not played zomboid in 3days, and im sweating, maybe withdraws, possibly? Zomboid Rehab that's for sure. If you could only see my real life moodles right now. Ok im beat off to bed -_-

Realmkeeper it's worth considering that calling in sick doesn't necessarily ruin anyone else's day at every job in the world. There are plenty of jobs (including mine) where it's not even a mild inconvenience.

Further, who are you to tell me I'm not chasing my dreams well enough? When I got kicked out of my house at 19 after having some personal issues and being forced to move (back) in with my parents, I moved 1500 miles across the continent with nothing but my car and $200. Would I like to chase my dreams? Damn right. Am I trying? Every day. But can I just get up and quit my job that I hate to do it? Fuck no.

If I quit this job, I'd be living on the street, begging for food. Not everyone has the ability to just go chase their dreams. I've been living at the ragged edge for almost 3 years now. I think you should take a long, hard look at yourself (food for thought, if you will) and consider how lucky you are that you're in a place where you can do what you want. Not all of us have that privilege.

But trust me, I don't live in a shithole doing back-breaking, tedious work because I hate myself.

I thought this thread was about IF you call off to play a game and why, not " this is how you should live your life.."

But anyways, ya, i faked sick a few times in school to play ffvII. But more recently I took a few vacation days off of work to play Diablo 3 when it came out (that was a mistake). I've also missed work to play KSP, and just recently i had my wife call into my work with an "emergency" so i could leave and play PZ. .. Yes planning vacation days is obviously the better option but, some nights i go to sleep planning on work the next day and just wake up not feeling like going to work. Ya I'm a grown man and ya i have responsibilities, but i also know how MY finances work and sometimes i feel like i deserve a spontaneous day off to do whatever the F i feel like.

Who said anything about not liking their job? I love what I do but I 'm not blind, I see many things wrong with both management and the sociological problems that long work days causes. Most people are unhappy with their jobs and it's not because they're lazy. The typical eight to five work day has got to go. Not only will people be happier, healthier, but it will also improve efficiency. Is it really crazy to think that happy employees means more productive employees? It really illuminates the problem when people equate happiness in the workplace to laziness, a completely counter intuitive notion that is blatantly untrue. Which is what I meant by quality of hours trumps the quantity of hours.

I rarely take time off work, I still have like 40 hours of time available to me to take off at my leisure, but I don't think the current paradigm work.  Being a good worker doesn't mean investing your entire life to a job, even if it is your dream job. I feel family, friends, and community are all just as important. These things should be priorities, they improve not only your quality of life, but society as a whole. I am all about working hard, working your dream job, but I don't think it's selfish to want a life outside of work as well. These two things shouldn't be such polar opposites but, unfortunately, that's the modern world. Still, I have hope and I'm sure one day it will change, but like all good things, it will take time.

Anyway , I know when I took off work to play NWN2 it was because I was almost addicted to that game, and it wasn't a good thing I did it. No one suffered from that act but me, because I was feeding an unhealthy habit. However, this thread has inspired me to take a day off, probably next Fall, or whenever NPCs come out for Project Zomboid.