Useful killing move with knives

Dasanteki

OK, so I was playing over the last couple days and found nothing better than a few butter knives to start with.  So I was fighting off a few zombies when I pulled off a nifty maneuver.  I checked the wiki and couldn't find any reference to it, so I will tell you here.  If any vets reading this already know this move, more power to you!

While equipped with either a butter knife or Kitten knife, you may use a special attack against the zombies.  Possibly screwdriver too, but I have yet to test that.  THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH SPOONS OR FORKS.  Here's what you do.  As the zombie approaches, MOVE FORWARD into the zombie and attack at point blank range while still pressing towards it.  If done correctly, your character will stab UPWARDS into the zombie's chin.  This is usually a 1-hit kill.  If timed correctly, you will stab as the zombie lunges, but before it can hit you.  This is especially useful if you have a few dozen butter knives, as you can kill several zombies with each knife.

This is a great move for killing single zombies and small groups if done right, as it guarantees no damage will be done to you once you have the timing down.  I was even able to sneak up on solitary zombies and assassinate them, so it's pretty fun to use.  It isn't useable against large swarms since it takes a moment to kill each zombie, but it should get you safely through the first few days.  Good luck, and happy stabbing!

EDIT) It keeps changing K I T C H E N to kitten.  WHY?!

I remember seeing this from just after the desura build updated, however never could get the timing right and always got scratched. I eventually traded out for a crowbar. My personal play style supports me better with a swinging weapon I can hit multiple targets with.

I remember seeing this from just after the desura build updated, however never could get the timing right and always got scratched. I eventually traded out for a crowbar. My personal play style supports me better with a swinging weapon I can hit multiple targets with.

Yeah, it's incredibly handy - but you do have to let them get close enough.  The pro is that you pretty much get an instakill, con is that if you whiff you're probably getting gnawed on.

It is frequently my secondary weapon, though.

Yeah, the timing can be pretty tricky.  My luck on finding decent weapons is pretty sucky, so I often have 7 or 8 butter knives and that's it.  This trick has saved my arse quite a few times.  I now get rather happy when I find butter knives.  Instakilling zombies never gets old.  Something about risking life and limb to hear that *squelch* is just so satisfying... <3

Still, if they ever add katanas to the core game I am SO getting one ^v^

OK, so I was playing over the last couple days and found nothing better than a few butter knives to start with.  So I was fighting off a few zombies when I pulled off a nifty maneuver.  I checked the wiki and couldn't find any reference to it, so I will tell you here.  If any vets reading this already know this move, more power to you!

While equipped with either a butter knife or Kitten knife, you may use a special attack against the zombies.  Possibly screwdriver too, but I have yet to test that.  THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH SPOONS OR FORKS.  Here's what you do.  As the zombie approaches, MOVE FORWARD into the zombie and attack at point blank range while still pressing towards it.  If done correctly, your character will stab UPWARDS into the zombie's chin.  This is usually a 1-hit kill.  If timed correctly, you will stab as the zombie lunges, but before it can hit you.  This is especially useful if you have a few dozen butter knives, as you can kill several zombies with each knife.

This is a great move for killing single zombies and small groups if done right, as it guarantees no damage will be done to you once you have the timing down.  I was even able to sneak up on solitary zombies and assassinate them, so it's pretty fun to use.  It isn't useable against large swarms since it takes a moment to kill each zombie, but it should get you safely through the first few days.  Good luck, and happy stabbing!

too risky. im not one of those who just reloads the game when bit

too risky. im not one of those who just reloads the game when bit

That's the beauty of it.  If you (for example) make a junk game and practice for a bit, you can use it with almost perfect success if you get the feel for the timing.  After about five minutes of practice, I have gotten scratched by a zombie exactly once in 5 hours of play while using butter knives.  I acknowledge that not everyone can pull it off, but sometimes knives are all you have, and they're common as all getout.

I was under the impression that the "instant kill" part has been removed for the new builds, the animation is still there but you have to stab them a couple of times while on the ground.... There is nothing special to performing the move, its just the default attack when a zombie is in extremely close range.... Just like pushing with any other weapon.

It would be nice if the blade users got a bit more love, like a bowie knife that has better durability....

I use it a bunch in this video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3E5B0Bzgno&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLChb52_Ylr73z25OV28xEcfswkUTfr5z5

First weapon on my first run through was the kitchen knife...I ram ramming it up into the soft pallet without realising this was a power attack. I have seen a few other knock downs etc. Are there many other power attacks then for other individual weapons?

I was under the impression that the "instant kill" part has been removed for the new builds, the animation is still there but you have to stab them a couple of times while on the ground.... There is nothing special to performing the move, its just the default attack when a zombie is in extremely close range.... Just like pushing with any other weapon.

It would be nice if the blade users got a bit more love, like a bowie knife that has better durability....

I use it a bunch in this video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3E5B0Bzgno&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLChb52_Ylr73z25OV28xEcfswkUTfr5z5

NOOOOO!  If they took away the kill stab, then there is NO REASON to use anything but swinging weapons.  I really hope that's not true...

Archived