Freezers

Cl0nec0mmand0

its something that's in almost every house in America so why not this game? i think freezers should be added for long time storage they should have a small inventory space or a low maximum weight that limits what you can store. it should allow a much longer storage time for perishables than a fridge but as i said before, a limited amount of things you can put in or a small weight maximum would limit what you would want to spare ie you would want to put in soup in or watermelon instead of small things like oranges tomatoes ex. Freezers would run out of power the same way refrigerators do but still hold in some extra coldness for a day or so. maybe a downside of using a freezer is that you have to thaw out food before eating the longer the thaw time needed for more nutritious food but you could put it in a oven or microwave to speed up the thawing.

I think the fridges are a single unit to keep things simple. When the power goes out, it would make very little difference whether your food was chilled or frozen. Like you said, it would give you maybe 1 extra day. That is hardly worth the distinction and the work the change would involve.

Now if we had propane tanks or other long term power sources, that would be different. Freezing your fresh veggies / meat (when we can get it from hunting etc) would be a good idea for long term survival.

I think the fridges are a single unit to keep things simple. When the power goes out, it would make very little difference whether your food was chilled or frozen. Like you said, it would give you maybe 1 extra day. That is hardly worth the distinction and the work the change would involve.

Now if we had propane tanks or other long term power sources, that would be different. Freezing your fresh veggies / meat (when we can get it from hunting etc) would be a good idea for long term survival.

i mean that you have twice the amount of time before food rots when its in the freezer rather than in the fridge and 2-3 days before it become room temp because one time i lost power in my house and food stayed frozen for a while even w/o power and im not saying use the freezer to let food not go rotten when power ends but rather for longer term food storage like what we do in real life store food in it to keep it from going bad for a longer time than in a fridge also ice cream should always be stored in a freezer so it wont melt

i mean that you have twice the amount of time before food rots when its in the freezer rather than in the fridge and 2-3 days before it become room temp because one time i lost power in my house and food stayed frozen for a while even w/o power

Currently food in fridges in the game doesn't spoil as long as there is power, so there is no need for freezers to increase their shelf life. When the power goes out, the food in fridges starts to rot. In reality a well-insulated freezer (that remains unopened) might take a few days to thaw out, but that would be a very small difference in gameplay. It's hardly worth introducing a separate kitchen container just for that.

i mean that you have twice the amount of time before food rots when its in the freezer rather than in the fridge and 2-3 days before it become room temp because one time i lost power in my house and food stayed frozen for a while even w/o power

Currently food in fridges in the game doesn't spoil as long as there is power, so there is no need for freezers to increase their shelf life. When the power goes out, the food in fridges starts to rot. In reality a well-insulated freezer (that remains unopened) might take a few days to thaw out, but that would be a very small difference in gameplay. It's hardly worth introducing a separate Kitten container just for that.

I think that in the future developments, we should look into both fridges and freezer (added) as reworks. The perishables becoming everlasting if the power is on makes food hoarding a bit too easy early game.

If the future game developments allow proper power production building (generators etc and propane scavenging) the different between a fridge and freezer would be marked.

On a side note and not meaning to high jack the thread (its related)...what do people think about moving furniture..? say you found a freezer in a none safe house location....?

Fridge cools stuff down. The freezer freezes things. Difference? I see none. I don't agree with this idea.

From a spoilage organism point of view...it's a big difference.

A fridge holds perishables at 3-8 degrees which slows microbe growth slightly giving products a few extra days. Slow freezing of products in a freezer grants months of life but nearly halting microbial growth (doesn't kill 'em).

If the fridges in game were more realistic, then there would be a difference....but as the fridges act like freezers...i say we introduce pop-tarts and toasters..

If the future game developments allow proper power production building (generators etc and propane scavenging) the different between a fridge and freezer would be marked.

On a side note and not meaning to high jack the thread (its related)...what do people think about moving furniture..? say you found a freezer in a none safe house location....?

Yes, once we have ways to keep the power on, freezers could make a big difference. We could freeze most perishables to make them last longer (just like in real life). When the power is out, they don't make much of a difference.

I think moving freezers would be a 2-man job at least, or require a vehicle of some sort. I would like to be able to haul those garden grills though, they seem kind of portable.

I think you could push fridges and freezers around a bit (and sofas and stuff like that...) but only on none or moderate exertion. And it would build up quickly, but I don't see you hauling a fridge to a different building without a nose trolley(is it really called that?) although it is possible in real life, just tiresome. And I don't see the trolleys fitting the game too well... but maybe... just maybe Well no not really.

Edit: and yes I know that furniture was movable at some point and will come back etcetc.

I think you could push fridges and freezers around a bit (and sofas and stuff like that...) but only on none or moderate exertion. And it would build up quickly, but I don't see you hauling a fridge to a different building without a nose trolley

Yes, you would need some sort of trolley, an even surface and probably a buddy to move a decent sized fridge. They can be quite heavy. I had a mini freezer that I got rid of this year. It was the smallest capacity standalone freezer you can get, only 2 shelves. It weighed about 25kg. I could carry it to the car in its box, but move it to another house? That would need more than an average Joe.