Perishable clothing

zomboyd

Heya guys, 

I had a quick search and I couldn't spot this idea yet (please correct me if I am wrong).

I think a good addition to the game would be perishable clothing - that is clothing that wears out and eventually becomes unusable over time, forcing you to have to occasionally replace items.  This would go hand in hand with a general increase in types of clothing available in the game.

Clothing would have a 'toughness' rating, which would determine how quickly they deteriorate, but other factors would increase the rate of wear such as :

• Running - deteriorates shoes more quickly than walking or sneaking
  • Construction of farming deteriorate all items of clothing more quickly.
  • Getting attacked by a zombie can rip / tear or otherwise damage clothing, causing it to need to be replaced. 
  • Doing any of the above action in the RAIN adds additional wear and tear.

Damaged clothing would havefer less in the way of protection from the elements, and if clothing ever plays a part in zombie protection (armor) then this would be reduced also.  

Clothing could have the following condition values:

• Brand new
  • Slightly Worn
  • Worn
  • Ripped
  • Unwearable

Clothing would be found in various places as normal - and would vary in condition as you find them:

• Clothing found in stores will always be 'Brand New'
  • Clothing found in houses will range from Slightly worn to ripped
  • Clothing found on zombies will always be either 'ripped' or 'unwearable' 

That would be a welcome feature also may I suggest "Contaminated Cloths" that need to be cleaned with bleach or soap that you find on zombies.   Chance for illness.

Also a sewing kit to mend damaged cloths.

To mend and to ...reinforce ! The very idea of composite armour is based on a "framework material" onto which various protective patches may be applied. Obsolete ? Actually, a lot of special purpose clothes (such as motorcycle uniforms) utilise this approach, by being supplemented with additional layers / paddings / plates in crucial spots. Not saying that one should be able to produce a suit of plate mail, but why not apply some kevlar / nomex pads scavenged off clothes found in a police / fire station onto a leather jacket for added protection ?

This actually leads to another concept - why not allow recycling clothes for materials ? Initially one would be able to make some rags (potentially for cleaning blood) / makeshit bandages (with some way of sterilising them - boiling water, anyone ?), progressing towards more complex stuff and maybe even crafting stuff from scratch. *adds another point to her in-writing megapost*

Thanks for the support guys / gals!  

I brought this up earlier, but they shot it down saying its too complex to do. :(

I don't see it as being any more complex than other things in PZ, but then again I don't know how it was built!

To mend and to ...reinforce ! The very idea of composite armour is based on a "framework material" onto which various protective patches may be applied. Obsolete ? Actually, a lot of special purpose clothes (such as motorcycle uniforms) utilise this approach, by being supplemented with additional layers / paddings / plates in crucial spots. Not saying that one should be able to produce a suit of plate mail, but why not apply some kevlar / nomex pads scavenged off clothes found in a police / fire station onto a leather jacket for added protection ?

This actually leads to another concept - why not allow recycling clothes for materials ? Initially one would be able to make some rags (potentially for cleaning blood) / makeshit bandages (with some way of sterilising them - boiling water, anyone ?), progressing towards more complex stuff and maybe even crafting stuff from scratch. *adds another point to her in-writing megapost*

And another! If armour gets added then one could potentially 'add' on bits of material to strengthen armour. Here's an example:

I'm wearing some common armour (leather jacket say) which is ripped. I go into a store and find a brand new one, then I take the good material from my old jacket and "pad" my new one,giving it an armour boost.