Simple Tips for Survival

Lothar

Hi fellow survivors!

I'm new in this forum and I hope you will excuse me for my bad english.

I've decided to do this cause on the Forum I have read that a lot of people don't survive much at the begin, despite the Survival Giude on PZwiki.

From my little experience I've managed, so far, to survive reasonably well. I'm NOT tring to be presumptious here, I just want to share what I have learned. (for the little that is)

You should be able to do this between the first 2-4 days. (after zombies increase in number)

1: Take a look at the map and find the easiest house to use as a fort which is (in my opinion) near the "Train Station". (is the ONLY house with the wooden walls surrounding) and start "building" your safe house (use sheet on windows, turn lights off...)

2: This house is only two hours from the "Big Warehouse" near the Highway; get there and loot al the needed tool (Hammer, Saw, Axe, Nails, Trowel, Bucket and last Sledgehammer).

If you don't find some of the tools, look if you have enought daylight (and enought space in your inventory and containers) to go to the "McCoy Logging Corp." (another two hours from the warehouse) if so go there, loot and sleep here. (It's QUIET safe)

3: Get home. Make some planks and close the only entrance of your fort (walls and door) and built some rain collector barrels. Later in the game you can start fortifying and secure for real.

4.Your next necessary trip, always in my opinion, is the "Cortman Medical". It's about 4-5 hours from your fort. So maybe plan to sleep somewere around.

Edit#1:

5. When you are out to looting try to have an objective. Then smash a window in a house near your objective, this will (hopefully) attract the zombies. Also yelling and drive them away from your objective is good.

Edit #2:

6. Your fort can't be forever (at least this one can't). 'cause after a month or so the zombies are gonna take over. And they come in a HUGE number and don't ask permission. So, I will suggest you to change your hideout in something that's not near to populated areas.

From there... start looting, farming, crafting, or simple smash some zombies!

Good tips!!, Not trying to Hijack your thread at all but I have a few tips as well. Hope it helps :).

• Never climb through a broken window, ever, unless it's absolutely necessary.
  • Never let a zombie scratch you, ever.
  • Never ever fall from a second story window..
  • Don't go out after 6PM and before 6AM.
  • Always bring a sweater with you, in case you need to stay warm and for emergency bandages.
  • Always carry some bandages with you.
  • Always carry a few bottles of water on your person.
  • Always carry some type light-weight dry foods on your person.
  • Always have some type of Knife or a Bat.
  • Wear full clothing to minimize scratching chances.
  • Carry a few empty plastic bags on you.
Edited by kinyoshi

Good tips!!, Not trying to Hijack your thread at all but I have a few tips as well. Hope it helps :).

• Never climb through a broken window, ever, unless it's absolutely necessary.
  • Never let a zombie scratch you, ever.
  • Never ever fall from a second story window..
  • Don't go out after 6PM and before 6AM.
  • Always bring a sweater with you, in case you need to stay warm and for emergency bandages.
  • Always carry some bandages with you.
  • Always carry a few bottles of water on your person.
  • Always carry some type light-weight dry foods on your person.
  • Always have some type of Knife or a Bat.
  • Wear full clothing to minimize scratching chances.
  • Carry a few empty plastic bags on you.

Sure, no problemo!

It's well done!

Hmmmm, map is cheating!

Really?

Does real word have maps? So if it's a game were you, just like in real world, have to cook (I HATE the cooking in game!), the food; I think it's quite fair to know where the f.... I'm going.

Don't you think? :evil:

Hmmmm, map is cheating!

Really?

Does real word have maps? So if it's a game were you, just like in real world, have to cook (I HATE the cooking in game!), the food; I think it's quite fair to know where the f.... I'm going.

I can visualize the area I am in (in real life mind you) and create a topographical map in my head with my imagination.

So, technically Yes, you can have a topographical map in the real world.

Hmmmm, map is cheating!

Really?

I can visualize the area I am in (in real life mind you) and create a topographical map in my head with my imagination.

I talk also about paper topographical map.

Hmmmm, map is cheating!

Really?

In-game cartography? Me likes.

Hmmmm, map is cheating!

Really?

No man! :shock:  I already hate cooking so..

I mean you go in a gas station, in a house, etcetc.. and find some maps of the place! sure, no names of the shops but still have the town street and buildings.

Hmmmm, map is cheating!

Really?

No man! :shock:  I already hate cooking so..

I mean you go in a gas station, in a house, etcetc.. and find some maps of the place! sure, no names of the shops but still have the town street and buildings.

Those maps would be acceptable as well. :)

• Be cautious when some when weird music plays while doing carpentry and crafting jobs. From my observation, this usually means zeds are nearby and they are sensing what you are doing. So always keep your eyes peeled.
  • As possible choose a 2 story safehouse, barricade all doors and windows in the first floor and make use of the sheetrope for the second floor.
  • When defending your fort, use melee weapons for taking out few zeds. Use a gun for luring away larger number of zeds. Be careful when doing so.

i was hoping they would make a craftable or buildable or collectible map or mapping system.

i dont think its OP or unrealistic, since nowadays we can just look at the google map and voila! insta-Map! though you just need some things, like pc, tablet, smartphone and also the internet.

edit:

forgot, the power source

but for such zombie apocalypse, a hardware, meaning a map made from pieces of paper is conceivable

Nice guide but I wouldn't recommend that house with the walls around it for 1 main reason, it's got only 1 exit. If in the unlikely scenario zombies do hunt you down and attack your house you would have absolutely no escape and no room to dodge/move.

I would actually recommend the logging company itself. Minimal zombie presence, multiple independent buildings, plenty of space and all the facilities you need to be self sufficient. Farms are a good location too, and closer to water sources and cut off from pretty much all zombie activity. If you choose a location that has only 1 exit or a bottleneck point you open yourself up to being boxed in and trapped. Fortresses are great and all but without exits their traps.

I learned this the hard way.

Nice guide but I wouldn't recommend that house with the walls around it for 1 main reason, it's got only 1 exit. If in the unlikely scenario zombies do hunt you down and attack your house you would have absolutely no escape and no room to dodge/move.

I would actually recommend the logging company itself. Minimal zombie presence, multiple independent buildings, plenty of space and all the facilities you need to be self sufficient. Farms are a good location too, and closer to water sources and cut off from pretty much all zombie activity. If you choose a location that has only 1 exit or a bottleneck point you open yourself up to being boxed in and trapped. Fortresses are great and all but without exits their traps.

I learned this the hard way.

That's a HUGE problem. Thanks for the tip!

But I think you can build windows on the walls, not sure... going to take a look!

The walled house is fine if you build a 2cd floor deck along the wall.    Then you can run along it and decide where to jump off if you need to leave.    Jumping will hurt you but not kill you.     I considered doing that as a spare safe house but I live in the far south.     It will also allow you to scout in all directions to see when zombies are getting close.      You'll need level 3 carpentry to build stairs.

TIPS:

1)  Live upstairs.   Wall up the stairway on the 2cd floor and use sheet ropes to get in and out.   Then kick out all the windows and doors on the first floor.    If zombies come, they'll just migrate right through without turning the house into a drum.    Make sure you sneak around upstairs if zeds are near.

2)  Make a safehouse on the edge of town.   You've got empty cells bordering you so the zombies will tend to only migrate from one direction.  And that might be away from you.  

3)  If you are strong carry a bucket of water to drink from.   It lasts longer, is less hassle,  and you can refill it more easily than a bunch of little bottles.    Put it in your backpack once you start to load up.   

4)  You can live on berries for a damn long time.

The walled house is fine if you build a 2cd floor deck along the wall.    Then you can run along it and decide where to jump off if you need to leave.    Jumping will hurt you but not kill you.     I considered doing that as a spare safe house but I live in the far south.     It will also allow you to scout in all directions to see when zombies are getting close.      You'll need level 3 carpentry to build stairs.

TIPS:

1)  Live upstairs.   Wall up the stairway on the 2cd floor and use sheet ropes to get in and out.   Then kick out all the windows and doors on the first floor.    If zombies come, they'll just migrate right through without turning the house into a drum.    Make sure you sneak around upstairs if zeds are near.

2)  Make a safehouse on the edge of town.   You've got empty cells bordering you so the zombies will tend to only migrate from one direction.  And that might be away from you.  

3)  If you are strong carry a bucket of water to drink from.   It lasts longer, is less hassle,  and you can refill it more easily than a bunch of little bottles.    Put it in your backpack once you start to load up.   

4)  You can live on berries for a damn long time.

Not on those walls (the type that surrounds that small house), you can make walls with windows in them but pre-existing walls and such you have to get a sledge hammer I think to break them down.

Man... it has happened! Lots and lots and lots of zed have just destroyed my mighty fort!

But I've managed to get out of there alive and without a scratch.. now I'm in the farm nearby.. I've to give up on my frist safe-house.. that's sad.

But anyway you were right man after a month or so, they come and get you. I will add your info to the tips if's ok to you.

Man... it has happened! Lots and lots and lots of zed have just destroyed my mighty fort!

But I've managed to get out of there alive and without a scratch.. now I'm in the farm nearby.. I've to give up on my frist safe-house.. that's sad.

But anyway you were right man after a month or so, they come and get you. I will add your info to the tips if's ok to you.

Dont worry, within a week they should have moved on. If they haven't just grab a pistol and lead them away.

lol I am expecting it to happen in my game soon. However I've been stock piling an armoury and I plan to fight when the horde arrives. hopefully without fatal consequence.

Dont worry, within a week they should have moved on. If they haven't just grab a pistol and lead them away.

lol I am expecting it to happen in my game soon. However I've been stock piling an armoury and I plan to fight when the horde arrives. hopefully without fatal consequence.

Give them some!

Now I've a new fort in the little cabin near the farm.. but I can't dig and farming. This is ever happend to you? (to can't dig)