Vote-to-sleep

Tyrope

Greetings stranger,

After watching many videos on youtube I decided to pick up PZ, together with a friend. We were surprised by the fact we couldn't sleep, and hence boredom was a huge problem (after all, too dangerous to whack zombols outside in the dark for 2 newbies. :P)

My suggestion is a system to incorporate sleeping into multiplayer games: Vote to sleep. (For those who know their minecraft mods, I borrowed this from 'morpheus'.)

One can sleep in a bed as normal, but instead of instantly falling asleep, they just lay down. This fires a global chat message to the server with something like: "Mr. Admin wishes this night was over (x/y, z%)" where x is the amount of players 'wishing the night was over', y is the players connected, and z being a % display of x and y... for example: (1/2, 50%).

Not sure if mods can have server configuration settings, if not 50% (inclusive! so 1/2 2/4 etc should pass the night) should be fair game, otherwise having 50% as default and changable by server owners would be awesome.

Thanks for your time reading.

Signed,

Tyrope

What happens if sleep is accepted - do all players get asleep where they stand whether it's safe or not?

This would be the greatest problem in my opinion.

Since it would be a mod the pvp/pve is up to server owners and there likings

What happens if sleep is accepted - do all players get asleep where they stand whether it's safe or not?

Good point. Never thought of that. Perhaps time skips forward until morning? Not quite the most realistic approach, but it'd work until a better idea comes around.

Could be more or less like already is, when one is sleeping others must guard the place, or when alone you have to hide yourself. 

The only inconvenient is that the game time can't be considered as realistic in this case, the sleep would be like an "debuff", that lasts idk 3 minutes, and your tiredness gets better acording with the time you spend sleeping .

But if you hear shots, fight sound, running steps, or windows breaking, then you awake, as an option or mandatorily.

I think is best that can be done, better than just do not having.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not have all players synced. A bedtime if you will? 10at night everyone hits the sack, for example. This(bed)time or whatever it would be would be set too relfex the max allowed possible before the player either,1.)goes to bed and/or(lets say 10mins b4 bedtime allowed. or 2.) whatever location the player is on would pass out if you dont reach a bed in time.

At least i think this way, though not realistic, least gives some kinda of set schedule. plus goals to do before going to sleep.

Other postive notes is the players who were in bed would get "bonus traits" and one who passed out get horrible ones, reflecting that difference. an ect. -Slept in bed players could have-> running alittle faster,better mood,normal eating routine and lets say --Non bed players could have--> diminished environmental awareness and perceived hazards. perception loss's, speed loss. Stuff like this

im not a modder so i can't fully understand on the codeing part how everything would be written and implemented but i sure know its gotta be alot harder then you think, then again maybe not. cuz i dont know. Everything always looks good on paper though. 

Plus there alot of "other" things considered into the matter like. Like "1.What if a new player joins into a server sometime after its running,would they be "tired" lets say if joined at near-ish bedtime""2. Or how would zombies be considered when player is asleep. Don't they move in SP while your asleep too? So i dont know but a closed mouth dont get fed. I figured i think of a "bedtime" law for all of zomboid's inhabitants. 

Sure something can be figured out in goodtime but with systems like this, it cuts into the"kill you in your sleep""Night Missions" or whatever the said player is wanting to do in the moment. ordeal. Besides who the hell would want to travel at night with zeds around anyways, unless you got the dead reckoning vehicle.