Discussion of Npc's

cuddlepums

I found it dissapointing how everyone is keeps asking for a release dates for survivors instead of just discussing how awesome they are going to make this game in general so I decided to make a thread about actually discussing the immersion, and depth there going to add to this already awesome game. Though they may not be everything we ever wanted in the beginning, but personally I think they are going to be the best addition for the game.

So now that we got that out of the way here are the questions I would like to be answered by the community of what there plans are with additional survivors.

1. Where will you locate your safe house?
2. What will your attitude be towards other survivors will you try to be the good guy, or the bandit who is going to steal the supplies of other survivors?
3. How big will you try to make your group a small 4-6 or a large community of 15+?
4. Will you accept all survivors or only useful ones?
5. Will you try to be a leader or a group member?

6. How will you treat other groups of survivors?

My answers:
1. The north farm in Muldraugh for a small group, and the school in Westpoint for a large community.
2. I will try my best to be a good person to other survivors but I will not hesitate to eliminate threats.
3. I am going to try and have a big community, and hopefully it will remain stable.
4. I am going to try and accept all survivors and hopefully they will adapt and become better at surviving if not already.
5. I am probably going to remain a group mate being a leader is not something I want for my survivor.

6. I am going to try my best to remain on the good side of other groups, trading, helping, and perhaps even joining forces.

1. Not sure really, perhaps if we get a mall into the game will camp out there.

2. Attract zombies then try and get them to trash other survivors hideouts.

3. A couple maybe if they really entertain me. Probably have them enslaved.

4. They will be my Jesters so they must entertain me.

5. Leader of course, Governor style.

Not sure, still not too familiar with the map. Probably a heavily modded large building/fortress.

2. What will your attitude be towards other survivors will you try to be the good guy, or the bandit who is going to steal the supplies of other survivors?

Depends. If they have a strong will to survive I'll recruit them, if they're weak and won't last long I'll probably kill them and take their things. Dead people don't need things. 

3. How big will you try to make your group a small 4-6 or a large community of 15+?

Small initially. Get some good trust within core members, then as electricity and water go out expand the community, promising safety in exchange for hard work (farming, scavenging, etc...)

Initially only the useful ones. The start is critical and can't be compromised in trying to be a hero and helping everyone.

Leader? Nah, more like a dictator. At least in the beginning. Can't waste time trying to figure out the socially moral and correct way to do things when time and energy must be focused on efficiently surviving and thriving. When things are going well, then democratic elections can take place and I'd rather hand the reigns to someone else. 

1. Trailer Park in between Muldraugh and Westpoint or the Big Warehouse in Muldraugh.

2. Bandit-y for most playthroughs and sometimes good.

3 and 4. A small group of people willing to be bandits and I will always have my eyes open to see if any of them turn on me.

5. When playing good a member but as a bandit I'll probably be alone or a small group leader.

(Good discussion by the way.)

Sad? Sad is kids going to bed hungry, or unrequited love . . . .

Anyway, these are my answers:

1. Somewhere near the highway, preferably a building with more than one story and several exits. Somewhere that has trees nearby for easy base building.

2. Really depends on the situation, but unless my player is having a real tough go at it, I'd be a friendly, though wary, survivor.

3. At first small but you never know, it could get much bigger! I hope , anyway.

4. I tend to be a good guy despite it all, so I'd feel more comfortable inviting people based on their morals rather than their "usefulness."

5. Leader but won't mind playing second fiddle to someone who takes charge and knows what they're doing.

ANSWERS:

1. Highschool in WP.

2. No such thing as good guys, I'll just do what is best for myself and by proxy those whom support me.

3. As big as possible, determined by food production, medicine and zombie attraction.

4. I would do my best to try and shelter those in need, but if I cannot I will not and they best avoid pressing it too much.

5. If they are capable leaders then surely they can be in control, although I would like the ability to be in charge of either a smaller looting party within the group, or the group as a whole if I am well suited to do so.

P.S. Spaniard has a good point as to what sad is. Sad is chronic pain or terminal illness.

The Isolated House with a perimeter wall, i will gate it and start a farm, as well as add an extension to the house.

(http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5571106419822124,0.1961431757753523,639.1455273698265)

Depends really, i will probbably be neutral to all survivors, from there i will try and determine their personality and their abilities and see if it is worth while to try and recruit them 

A small tight-nit group of 3 other survivors, they will be skilled in a area of importance and very reliable & loyal. 

As stated above, well skilled, well equipped and loyal few.

Ill be a fair leader, basically i will take into consideration everyone's thoughts to make decisions, i.e food rations, war, etc but ill decide on roles, etc

6. (If i dont mind, ill add another :P) How will you/your group deal with other factions or groups?

Ill probbably try and become really good allies with a strong but stable group which has things i can benefit from (I.e control of gun store or a big farm or political power within the realm of Kentucky). With everyone else ill be neutral untill provoked. Nobody else will be allowed to join until i lose a member!

1.Anywhere but the farm with a well in Muldraugh looks good. In WP the school. And Bedford Falls will be the insane asylum it has a greenhouse :D

2.Random for each playthrough sometimes nice. Sometimes bad. Mostly nice though.

3. Pretty big depending on supplies. More people also means finding more supplies though.

4. All survivors are welcome unless very hostile.

5. I'd like to be a leader but whatever happens happens.

6. Once again random choice If I'm good I'd treat them well unless they are hostile. If I'm bad well not so well. 

I'll live the Fallout Series way when they are first added, traveling around offering my services where I can and anyone that gets in my way will be worm food.  No a bad guy but it is the end of the world so I will take no crap, it is life and death out there they come off as anything other than trustworthy I will eliminate the threat.  My character is one of those wasteland strider types seeking out danger securing the land from the walking dead and those that would pray on the weak.

That is what I will do for my main save, has 7 months 18 days with 4928 zombie kills.  Base is the warehouse in the middle of Mal

I also plan on using my second save I plan on being Walking Dead-esk way, being wary and inviting people who aren't openly hostile and becoming more wary with each betrail to the point of being paranoid. 

This save is 5 months 11 days with 52 zombie kills (I avoid conflict at all costs)  and has level 3 sprinting and level 4 sneaking.  Wasn't easy play style but sure was fun as all hell.  Farm on the east side of Mal

Also how about some discussion about what you hope to get out of the NPC experience.

I personally hope you can see them build objects in the game world like board up windows on their own, build crates, water barrels and basic wall off areas (nothing fancy like walling off a street or a small boxed in area with some crops).

Though way wishful thinking would have them to be able to make mark a layout of a building by layout out a transparent "blueprint" of an area so that they will build said structure over time as they find the available materials, ect.

The ability for them to think like people in that they will stick to a set of "morals" defined for that npc so that they don't become something you power level them into being good or evil.  If they are bastards they will never become Joe Charitable because you spent a month giving them 200 watermelons and shotgun shells but not static in that a coward can never find courage or a selfish person will never become less selfish.  If you get what I mean. 

So the ability for the NPC's to change up their behavior but not go from psycho mass murderer to beloved saint of generosity. 

Also how about some discussion about what you hope to get out of the NPC experience.

I personally hope you can see them build objects in the game world like board up windows on their own, build crates, water barrels and basic wall off areas (nothing fancy like walling off a street or a small boxed in area with some crops).

I hope they also loot houses near their safe house.  NPCs should have to consume food to survive the same as players.  As they deplete resources near their safe house, hopefully they will wall off an area to grow some crops. 

Though way wishful thinking would have them to be able to make mark a layout of a building by layout out a transparent "blueprint" of an area so that they will build said structure over time as they find the available materials, ect.

The ability for them to think like people in that they will stick to a set of "morals" defined for that npc so that they don't become something you power level them into being good or evil.  If they are bastards they will never become Joe Charitable because you spent a month giving them 200 watermelons and shotgun shells but not static in that a coward can never find courage or a selfish person will never become less selfish.  If you get what I mean. 

So the ability for the NPC's to change up their behavior but not go from psycho mass murderer to beloved saint of generosity. 

I love this idea. Maybe a selfish, thief kinda dude sees his wife/daughter/etc. die, and he realizes that he's causing innocent people trouble and has a change of heart. Or on the flip side, a good guy sees his family die and it makes him snap and go wacko. Fluctuating, realistic "personalities" in NPCs? Oh hell yes.

I love this idea. Maybe a selfish, thief kinda dude sees his wife/daughter/etc. die, and he realizes that he's causing innocent people trouble and has a change of heart. Or on the flip side, a good guy sees his family die and it makes him snap and go wacko. Fluctuating, realistic "personalities" in NPCs? Oh hell yes.

Exactly where they react to reasonable things to change how they act not handing them 800 cans of beans but things like a friendly npc becoming a "Shoot you if you get too close" because they lost too many friends to bandits.

I would like NPCs to be able to do things on their own, but at the same I do not want them to be too smart. I prefer them to be at least somewhat static as far who's side they are on and I do not want to deal with too much backstabbing and behind the scenes stuff that would just become frustrating more than fun. I say the complicated stuff should be left for multiplayer.

Well NPCs being too random is not realistic either.

If you can't count on a good amount of them being true to their personality they just become more zombies to kill so to speak.

Well this is going to be kind of long, but I already have this planned out and mainly only for story mode.

First, I'm going to kill the robber,

Then, I'm going to smother my wife.

Then, I'm going to join the robbers group (plot twist) and they'll take me in even though I killed that dude because I also killed my wife and robbed my own house for them. Even though I didn't need to kill my wife to do that, more of a blood sacrifice to the family so to speak, mafia style.

Then, I'm going to find my neighbor and I'm going to shoot him even though the group didn't ask, but I'm going to do it as a favor to my group who didn't even know my neighbor but we'll become best friends after that. 

But then, now that they do know my neighbor and they know about my skills with a pillow, they'll have me go and smother his wife who isn't injured and probably has a gun which will make things far more difficult since all I have at this point is a  pillow.

Then, I'll arrive to smother her, open the door, hear a loud bang that knocks me off my feet only to find *my boss* the guy who sent me to smother her holding a gun to my face, turns out, they were having an affair the entire time... *plot twist!* :D

Well, obviously it depends from the size of the group, but I would get probably near a construction site and build a base, start farming etc.

I will be friendly untill I've got the size of the group that I want, then I am going to steal and attack other groups to let mine survive.

I will try to have a large community, cause it's more challenging.

Only useful ones and there's a reason: I saw people saying that they will accept everyone and try to make them better but guys, that will only make you die, and with you all your 40 useless people. You will need more food, more water, more places to let 'em sleep and they will not be useful in any way or at least they will only in 1. You need to gather the useful people, the skilled people so the group can prosper, and WHEN you got the skilled people you may think about skilling some useless guy with time.

I will try to be a leader, always loved that (Love the walking dead, the tv series)

6. How will you treat other groups of survivors?
Already replied.

so when we'll see the NPC system?

They are avoiding previews until its nearly done.  As for the time frame they try avoid giving any to prevent the flood of the "OMG YOU SAID XXXX AND IT IS 2 WEEKS LATER!!!!111"

They are avoiding previews until its nearly done.  As for the time frame they try avoid giving any to prevent the flood of the "OMG YOU SAID XXXX AND IT IS 2 WEEKS LATER!!!!111"

Next person that brings up an ETA in a "NO ETAs" thread gets summary warned. :)

Now everybody hug.

:geek: