Help understanding cooking in PZ

tazyload

While playing about with adding food to the game I stumbled across the info for Steak,

item Steak	{		HungerChange	=	-40,		Weight	=	0.3,		Type	=	Food,		IsCookable	=	TRUE,		DangerousUncooked	=	TRUE,		DaysTotallyRotten	=	4,		MinutesToBurn	=	70,		DisplayName	=	Steak,		Icon	=	Steak,		DaysFresh	=	2,		MinutesToCook	=	50,	}

Looking at this I can see how to adjust the cooking time but was wondering how this then knows which icon to use for the cooked item? Also I am curious as to how cooking effects the HungerChange and other buffs. 

If someone could explain how this works or point me in the direction of where I can find out more that would be awesome.

here: http://www.pzwiki.net/wiki/Steak
That will show you what steak looks like cooked, burnt and rotten.

Foods cook in ingame minutes. So in steaks take 50 ingame minutes, after that period of time you have 20 minutes to take it out of the oven or it will burn. You can hover your mouse over the steak icon to check and see if it is ready, it will either say uncooked, cooked or burnt. If it is uncooked, burnt or rotten then it becomes unsafe for consumption.

The main benefit of cooking is that it makes food safe to eat. Rawr meats can cause sickness and even death. An additional benefit of cooking food is that it prolongs it's shelf life, cooked foods don't perish as quickly as uncooked foods.

Food when cooked doubles it's effectiveness at satisfying hunger. So uncooked steak can give you -40 to your hunger, but cooked steak can give you -80.

It's recommended as soon as you find cookable meats, cook them. It prolongs their life and makes them twice as effective.

here: http://www.pzwiki.net/wiki/Steak

That will show you what steak looks like cooked, burnt and rotten.

Foods cook in ingame minutes. So in steaks take 50 ingame minutes, after that period of time you have 20 minutes to take it out of the oven or it will burn. You can hover your mouse over the steak icon to check and see if it is ready, it will either say uncooked, cooked or burnt. If it is uncooked, burnt or rotten then it becomes unsafe for consumption.

The main benefit of cooking is that it makes food safe to eat. Rawr meats can cause sickness and even death. An additional benefit of cooking food is that it prolongs it's shelf life, cooked foods don't perish as quickly as uncooked foods.

Food when cooked doubles it's effectiveness at satisfying hunger. So uncooked steak can give you -40 to your hunger, but cooked steak can give you -80.

It's recommended as soon as you find cookable meats, cook them. It prolongs their life and makes them twice as effective.

Thanks for the reply but I understand the player-side aspects of cooking. I am more curious about the mechanics behind the scenes that take the initial info I posted and change the item on cooking. What dictates the icon of a cooked steak? Is the "HungerChange" value just doubled upon cooking? or can other buffs be applied also? 

I had thought there was Burnt or RottenIcon in the definition, but it doesn't appear to be - or not anymore.  Perhaps it is inferred based on the normal icon.

My guess is that the yeah, HungerChange would just be doubled.  TBH hunger seems pretty easy to cure regardless of the amount at this point, though I assume that might change.

I think the other buffs that can be applied are BoredomChange and UnhappyChange, and of course ThirstChange.  I have not tried them, but other possibilities might be:

• FatigueChange
  • EnduranceChange
  • StressChange

Although I don't see any item currently using EnduranceChange.

It is handled by Java. We can't touch it :( but for steak the java switches the texture and status of it to "SteakCooked" or "SteakOverdone".

I made some suggestions to make the food cooking and handling easier for modders. To add "ReplaceOnCooked" tag. AND even a "ReplaceOnOverdone" and "ReplaceOnRotten" tags so we can just make the cookable item just switch to a cooked variation of that item. This would be so much easier for them adding food in the game and for us modders to add food :).

Edited by kinyoshi

It is handled by Java. We can't touch it :( but for steak the java switches the texture and status of it to "SteakCooked" or "SteakOverdone".

I made some suggestions to make the food cooking and handling easier for modders. To add "ReplaceOnCooked" tag. AND even a "ReplaceOnOverdone" and "ReplaceOnRotten" tags so we can just make the cookable item just switch to a cooked variation of that item. This would be so much easier for them adding food in the game and for us modders to add food :).

I had a feeling it was all done out-of-reach at the moment, it would be nice to have more access to the cooking process as I believe that is going to be a key area for food mods to shine, for example I want to develop a system for baking but would require more control over the cooking process to pull it off well.