Something Psychology Blog

Ontogenesis

Interesting stuff! I have an undergraduate degree in psychology (although I focused more on cognitive psych), but I know very little about psych in a clinical setting. Looking forward to reading more :)

Cognitive Psych?
Focusing on the cognitive aspects of things such as language, memory and vision. Takes a less hardline biological view then neuropsychology but sometimes strafes into it. Also does not focus on topics related to social psychology. Basically it's more to do with nature rather than nurture, but with less of a focus on physiology then neuropsych.

Oh and onto, sorry I didn't keep my psychology thread going, got bogged down with Uni work and you were the only one that seemed interested :)

Edit: But cognitive psychology does not discount the importance of social factors and the environment in determining said cognitions. Such as environmental factors are very important in determining which phonemes a person can recognise in language, and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (NHS' go-to psychotheraphy) focuses partly on teaching people how to dispel, control and change problematic cognitions for things such as phobias.

Few questions for you Onto that I am curious about

1. Can you section people? If so then what signs/symptoms are you looking for? Whats the lowdown?

2. Can you legally drug someone to insensibility and keep them in that condition indefinitely? 

3. Lobotomies? True or false?

4. Straight Jackets? True or False?

5. Rubber Walls? True or False?

6. Whats the strangest disorder you have come across? Have you encountered any of the following - Aboulomania (inability to decide), Boanthropy (thinking they're a cow) Alien Hand Syndrome (rogue hand) or Capgras Syndrome (thinking a loved one has been replaced with an identical impostor)?

In any case I enjoyed the blog!!

I never really liked the "traditional" cognitive psych. To much of a computer analogy for me. I have a more Gibson (ecological psychology) like kind of view on things.

Decartés ideas of dualism kind of lingers in the traditional cognitive psychology. I think dualism as a perspective on human mechanisms is very counterproductive, because it somehow facilitates the idea that people can sort of "choose who they want to be", as they do when they selectively pick out interests, product brands and hobbys that supports the kind of identity they want to have. I think this is one of the biggests reasons of mental illness in the western world today.

People cannot not choose who they want to be. In my eyes being what we are, nomatter what that is, is our duty.

The ecological perspective to me becomes obvious when the society tries to rehabilitate drug addicts or criminals without treating the enviroment around the individual on equal terms as the individual himself self. Too often people falls back in to an environment that the initially helped people start bad behavorial pattern.

Also my perspectives are very much influenced by social constructivism.

1. Can you section people? If so then what signs/symptoms are you looking for? Whats the lowdown?

2. Can you legally drug someone to insensibility and keep them in that condition indefinitely? 

6. Whats the strangest disorder you have come across? Have you encountered any of the following - Aboulomania (inability to decide), Boanthropy (thinking they're a cow) Alien Hand Syndrome (rogue hand) or Capgras Syndrome (thinking a loved one has been replaced with an identical impostor)?

In any case I enjoyed the blog!!

Answers!

http://somethingpsychology.com/2014/05/20/qa-time-sectioning-drugs-lobotomies-and-complex-care/

Do you subscribe to any particular personality/intelligence model? Basically allport or big five, spearwell or multiple intelligences approach.

Do you prefer the nomothetic or idiographic approach?

Had an exam on these two questions yesterday, interested in your thoughts on it.

6. Whats the strangest disorder you have come across? Have you encountered any of the following - Alien Hand Syndrome (rogue hand)

Alien Hand Syndrome... Hmmm, so that's what I suffered from in my youth when my hands would go 'roaming' about... :P

Alien Hand Syndrome... Hmmm, so that's what I suffered from in my youth when my hands would go 'roaming' about... :P

I'll be sure to use this excuse next time.  ;-)

On a serious note:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, psychology is of slight interest to me given my past experiences with psychotherapists (not to mention my mother is planning to go on a psychology-relative course I think), so it's something I'm quite tweaked by every so often.

Do you subscribe to any particular personality/intelligence model? Basically allport or big five, spearwell or multiple intelligences approach.

Had an exam on these two questions yesterday, interested in your thoughts on it.

Interesting questions, particularly second one as I'm currently doing some IPA research - will write a post up by the weekend.

I'll be sure to use this excuse next time.  ;-)

On a serious note:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, psychology is of slight interest to me given my past experiences with psychotherapists (not to mention my mother is planning to go on a psychology-relative course I think), so it's something I'm quite tweaked by every so often.

Glad you like it. I've heard a lot about experiences with psychotherapists, some good, some bad. Hopefully you had a positive one.

Thanks everyone for reading - never know if people are interested in these sorts of things.

Wrote a short blog on this one: http://somethingpsychology.com/2014/05/27/psychology-debate-nomothetic-or-idiographic-approaches/

Focusing on mainly research methods though (as that's what I've been focusing on recently!)and threw in some history because I like criticising psychoanalysis.

Started doing a blogging challenge in the wordpress community called writing101 - basically given a topic and other conditions to write something everyday.

Two days in:

Write whatever comes into your head for 20 minutes: http://somethingpsychology.com/2014/06/02/writing-101-day-one-unlock-your-mind/
Where in the world would you go right now? http://somethingpsychology.com/2014/06/03/writing-101-a-room-with-a-view/

Psychology is a load of bologna :P

There is a lot of rubbish out there, but how do you mean?

Maybe he doesn't believe in the theruaputic benefits of it?

Correct! 10 points for gryffindor!

Well, depending on approach, sychological therapies have a robust evidence base showing effectiveness, hence it is recommended in NICE guidelines.

On a more individual level, outcomes tend to be based on factors of the therapist (good therapists tend to get better outcomes regardless of the approach they use), the 'therapeutic relationship' (i.e. Whether there is mutual trust & respect) and factors of the client (e.g. Are they motivated for change?).

Anecdotedly I've seen some amazing improvements in people in our service, some with 20+ years of problems they thought couldn't change.

How come you didn't get on with it tomwa?

I think it works wonders myself. I've always found it to be like planting seeds in concrete. The psychologist has to throw a lot of seeds out there before he finally finds the right crack. Once there's a seed of thought in that crack it then grows and shifts mountains of concrete out of the way.

I think it works wonders myself. I've always found it to be like planting seeds in concrete. The psychologist has to throw a lot of seeds out there before he finally finds the right crack. Once there's a seed of thought in that crack it then grows and shifts mountains of concrete out of the way.

That's actually.. A really good metaphor, never thought of it in that kind of manner.

EDIT:

I know you aren't doing a Q&A right now, but just a quick curiosity: Have you ever had someone who acknowledges that they need psychological help and accepted it?

Not to start an argument (and if onto wants I will move my debating with Tomwa to a private chat as this is his thread) but you do know Psychology is more that treating those with mental disorders right?

What do you mean by Psychology is shite?

It is unscientific, it does not have validity, it does not have reliability, it does not have efficacy? Please state by which criteria you call Psychology poo.

Also after that, please state why you may have come to this conclusion. While I may be currently studying Psychology and wishing to become a Comparative Psychologist (thus I admit I am bias in favour of Psychology), I also admit Psychology is plagued with a number of problems, both in it's methodology (significance testing), publications (higher prevalence of file-drawer effect and less incentive to replicate studies than in other sciences) and branches (parapsychology negatively defining Psi and a tendency of wishy washy terminology in some branches). However I also advocate changes in Psychology to address these problems-as the APS have to address the problem of replicability- and your lack of faith in one branch of Psychology, as it seems to be Clinical Psychology, should not marr your opinion of the rest of Psychology as I also have a lack of faith in some branches of Psychology.

In closing if you (or anyone else) wishes to debate anything I have brought up, please say so.

To Ontogenesis, keep up the good work on the blog, it's a delight to read, you have also inspired me to start my own Psychology Blog. If you want me to take the debating to PM's or my own thread to stop it hijacking yours just say :)

If any of this came off as overly aggressive I apologise, I'm lovely really but I've had a few drinks :)

Not to start an argument (and if onto wants I will move my debating with Tomwa to a private chat as this is his thread) but you do know Psychology is more that treating those with mental disorders right?

What do you mean by Psychology is shite?

It is unscientific, it does not have validity, it does not have reliability, it does not have efficacy? Please state by which criteria you call Psychology poo.

Also after that, please state why you may have come to this conclusion. While I may be currently studying Psychology and wishing to become a Comparative Psychologist (thus I admit I am bias in favour of Psychology), I also admit Psychology is plagued with a number of problems, both in it's methodology (significance testing), publications (higher prevalence of file-drawer effect and less incentive to replicate studies than in other sciences) and branches (parapsychology negatively defining Psi and a tendency of wishy washy terminology in some branches). However I also advocate changes in Psychology to address these problems-as the APS have to address the problem of replicability- and your lack of faith in one branch of Psychology, as it seems to be Clinical Psychology, should not marr your opinion of the rest of Psychology as I also have a lack of faith in some branches of Psychology.

In closing if you (or anyone else) wishes to debate anything I have brought up, please say so.

To Ontogenesis, keep up the good work on the blog, it's a delight to read, you have also inspired me to start my own Psychology Blog. If you want me to take the debating to PM's or my own thread to stop it hijacking yours just say :)

If any of this came off as overly aggressive I apologise, I'm lovely really but I've had a few drinks :)

I like a good debate! Please post up your blog if and when you create it :)

Just currently collecting a few ideas for what I should write about, if anyone has any ideas or questions they would like to me write about just throw 'em at me. I am primarily interested in Comparative Psychology, that is to say, animal psychology (including humans) and drawing comparisons between species in respect to certain behaviours, cognitive tendencies etc. This includes things to do with sex, culture, social behaviour, social structure, play, grooming and other such things you may find exciting or monumentally dull. I'm also thinking of writing about Psychology in general, it's problems, what drew me to it, things like that.

So yeah any questions or ideas, fire away!