"Deconstruct me", a door says

Aenye Deithven

State of the art: We can bash and we can smash and make noise and get eaten, all for a plank or two, some hinges and possibly a knob.

The idea: Let unlocked doors be deconstructed, provided the required tools are in the PCs possession. Use components gained in this way for crafting of lockables.

Benefits: Improved gains in respect to bashing. Possibly: planks, nails, knob, lock assembly, key.

Drawbacks: Required tools and a bit more time than in case of bashing.

The checklist:

• Is it somewhat realistic?
  • Does it fit with the spirit of PZ?
  • Would it make the game too easy?
  • Would it require rewriting the entire game (like changing the camera view, for instance)
  • Would it add enough to the gameplay that it would be worth taking the time to add?
  • Would it be found in Muldraugh, Kentucky common enough to be added?

Realistic ?

No problem, a screwdriver and a claw hammer are usually more than enough to disassemble a door. Well, personally I don't think I could lift a door off of its hinges, but I also wouldn't be able to go on killing zombies all day.

Does it fit ? / Would it make the game too easy ?

Taking a door apart instead of smashing produces less noise and maybe can yield more components (either qualitatively or quantitatively), as swinging an axe / sledgehammer isn't a very precise action.

Rewriting the entire game ?

IMHO, this would be similar to the 'add curtains', but with items produced rather than used up, so might be a "quick fix".

Adding to the gameplay ?

Deconstructing in itself is a cosmetic change, allowing for a time for loot tradeoff. Using the lock assembly/key for making lockable stuff, however, sounds like a nice addition, particularly in terms of multiplayer (as mentioned here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/8377-securing-your-safehouse-from-players/ and here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/8172-the-upcoming-trapping-system/?hl=traps)

This could actually be elaborated a bit to feature different types (simple, two-, four-sided, paracentric, dimple, abloy, etc.) grades (flimsy, average, secure) of key-lock systems, accommodating a potential lock picking addition to the game.

Would it be found in Kentucky ?

Only the McCoys din' have locks and see what good it's done for them...

I always thought it a bit weird that we have screwdrivers but have to bash down doors in order to get supplies from them.

I like the idea of having a screwdriver in your inventory to be the required tool to remove a door relatively quietly from a building whilst recieving all of its materials, including an "unhinged door" as opposed to planks. As it stands, we don't have a way to guarantee we get two hinges and a knob from each door we take down.

The first thing I would do is take all of the interior doors in my house of their hinges and use them to barricade the windows.  It'd be nice to be able to take the doors either as/is as a building material or as described above.  This would require a VERY persistent zombie or an NPC with an axe to get in.

Deconstructing a door isn't rocket science. I would say at least beginner level carpentry. Screwdriver to undo the hinges, again to remove the knob. Lift door away from frame. Done. I've done it many times in my life because of shifting houses or frames, warping from heat and humidity, etc--and I'm under 30 still and have little training in the field.

If they're going for realism here, this would be a relatively easy thing to add. They would need a door sprite and a little extra coding for the new item, but I don't see it being too difficult to implement--the only this is time contraints and priorities (I can't see this being a high priority idea in any sense of the word). Good idea, yes, but low priority.

If you wanted to take the door though, you could just take the hinges off and leave the knob on, but that would leave too much variability--might as well just have "unhinged door" "hinges" and "knob" and require all these things to make a complete door with the level of carpenty needed one less to construct a door from scratch. That would make the most sense to me.