Threatened Back Injury?

CaptKaspar

Hello PZ community, I was wondering if anyone has suffered a back injury from carrying too much. When heavily loaded we receive the moodle "Extremely Heavy Load. Threatened Back Injury. Movement Compromised".

I was wondering if anyone has actually been injured from carrying too much. For the longest time I avoided hopping over fences, climbing sheet ropes, sprinting, combat, and pretty much anything else that would be difficult if heavily loaded and might cause injury.

However, recently I have become a bit more brazen in my actions and find myself hopping out windows, climbing up sheet ropes (BTW I think it would be a nice touch if you couldn't climb sheet ropes with a heavy load unless you had the strong perk), jogging down the street, etc. Other than becoming tired and not being able to recooperate, I haven't encountered any negative effect.

Am I just lucky, or is this another thing that will be added in the future?

I haven't seen this but my inventory won't seem to hold over 50 units ever, bags or not. Very frustrating being able to only carry fifteen planks at a time and having to spend upwards of a week going back and forth to the forests. 

How many planks can you carry at a time in real life, bags or not? :P

That's kinda difficult to determine, because the size of the planks is variable isn't it? The ones you nail over windows and doors are rather small but to build a wall (3 planks) they would have to be much bigger. I get that it keeps it balanced but in real life if I was planning a construction project I would use a sled or wheelbarrow to haul a little bit more than that. Being that thats not an option in the game I have to make do with spending several days just hauling logs and planks from the forest. Its not THAT far from my base (Medical center) but just mildly inconvenient there are no options to move wood in bulk

But while I'm on the subject let me ask something. If I have a big hiking bag on my back and one equipped to secondary, at a certain point I can't pick anything else up even if I am under my normal weight limit. Is this supposed to be happening?

How many planks can you carry at a time in real life, bags or not? :P

One wheelbarrow of them ;-)

Ad. not able to pick up more stuff: I've also seen it - it seems that if one of the bags is full enough that the weight of it's contents exceeds your maximum (even though you have it equipped and get the weight reduction), the game does not take the weight reduction into account for picking up more stuff.

Thats what I figured was going on.  I don't know if it was intentional or not. if it is I can respect that no matter how many bags you carry at a certain point you can't take on more volume. But if thats the case it would be nice to know whats going on with a notification or something rather than clicking over and over thinking something is glitching. I don't know if its related but when I did hit the limit I became unable to operate the sledgehammer. The destroy contextual was just gone until I unloaded

Thats what I figured was going on.  I don't know if it was intentional or not. if it is I can respect that no matter how many bags you carry at a certain point you can't take on more volume. But if thats the case it would be nice to know whats going on with a notification or something rather than clicking over and over thinking something is glitching. I don't know if its related but when I did hit the limit I became unable to operate the sledgehammer. The destroy contextual was just gone until I unloaded

Tool tip for the sledge should let you know its conditions for operation. ;)

There was a wheelbarrow?! Did it act as an inventory item like a backpack does?

No, a trash can with wheels. It was a separate container and you could move it around. This was back in the very old versions, but something like it will probably turn up again once movable furniture is re-implemented.

lol that's awesome. See thats the thing about the planks. Vital to construct a base of operations but if you keep your load to mildly strained your talking about moving 3-6 planks at a time. When I first started playing I thought I'd be clever and go to the logging company for the plentiful wood. An hour later as I being devoured by a horde I can't outrun, I decide that perhaps I need to rethink my strategy

Shopping carts ! If you're surrounded with a full cart, why not hurl it and knock some zombies over to clear a path ? Also, take two, add a hinge, stick and some thread and you have a great trap for the wildlife (nice and Fallout-y, although that one might have served a darker purpose).

Hit someone with a cart in real life. They don't get knocked back, they fall over and the cart goes down with them. So I can see hitting a zombie to knock them down, but your cart would spill its contents and you have to have a timed action to pick it back up. So you could use it to become an obstacle for running away, but I don't think it should be reminiscent of the cart from Dead Rising.

I think it would be great if they could add random injuries...

Sprained ankle = reduced capacity, slowed movement speed, 1 week - 3 weeks (depending on severity)

Injured back= severely reduced capacity, all actions slowed, 2 weeks - 2 months

Concussion= Reduced EXP gain, reduced reading speed, 1 week

Things like this would really add immersion to the game as well. What if a player in your group is hit with the most severe back injury? What if that player has the hearty appetite perk? I would let the person live (under some conditions, like designated farmer or chef) but others may not feel like it would be worth it.

Dragon Age does this pretty well but the injuries could be made more realistic than DA. They would have to be very rare.

E.g. I sprained my ankle 2 weeks ago for the 3rd or 4th time in my life. 27 years old, 24 years of playing football.