Short Stories

Saemunder

Very short stories usually of a dark nature. You are welcome to post your's.

I’m afraid to go out. I saw what they did to the people that tried to run, it wasn’t right. It wasn’t holy.

I’ve been watching that one since it came into town. None of them carry things but this one is dragging a shovel. Maybe it’s a person; I haven’t seen another person besides my father. He’s tired right now so I’ll let him sleep. Dad keeps telling me that one day things will get better, that one day I won’t have to worry about him so much. I don’t know…maybe he’s right.

That thing is being followed by others, it has to be alive but look at how much blood is on it. Maybe it’s a demon, dad always said the end of the world would be hell on earth. I can see it moving a little out the way each time one of them gets close and it just keeps walking, keeps dragging that shovel, keeps leading more and more of them into town. It has to be a demon, a pied piper leading that legion to take us all with it to hell. I won’t have any part of it; dad says I’m a good girl. Good girls go to heaven; all I need to do is say my prayers.

It’s passing that ambulance now; I saw its lights go out a while ago…a day or two after that man and woman were stealing from it. They got what they deserved. She screamed so much while she was being punished. It’s going to be supper time soon. I’m so lucky dad’s looking after me.

It’s stopped on the crossroads looking for something. Maybe that demon is looking for the next sinner. I knew it wouldn’t look this way; after all I’m going to heaven. Dad looks like he’s not tired anymore, I never imagined that he’d resurrect just like Jesus. I’m so lucky that he’s so close with God. He told me what I need to do to be in His good grace. I better get supper finished. I’m sure dad will love it; it just smells so good. I’m going to have to start on the arms after today.

“Take it, eat, This is my body”.

Seems the forums don't like multiple posts after each other. Next short below.

“We’re not biker’s moron”, He shoved the woman so hard that she cracked her head against the concrete floor.

“We took everything they had after we had some fun.”, These bitches are going to love what we have planned for them.

“Mike, don’t let that whore near the window. She might get some smart idea and we don’t want our fun to end quickly do we?”

The church was perfect; it had space for all of them without anyone being able to sneak up too easily. The screams would echo perfectly in here and that fucked up guy nailed to a cross can watch what they do. Let’s see if he’s got the balls to stop them.

“Joe, JOE! For fuck’s sakes stop beating her like that or she’s gonna have to be thrown out! What the hell is wrong with your brother Luke? He forgot we only got eight to share?”

“Ten if you count the kids.”

“I told you that the kids are mine Luke. You don’t look at them unless you want some discipline put in you again. As for you kids, watch closely. After they’re done with her I’m going to start on your brother before I finish off with you Casey”

Casey wailed, pleading for the men to stop. Her brother Joey stood as if turned to stone, his jeans the only sign of life as the wet fabric continued to grow.

• 2 weeks later...

Found tape recording-

It’s been a while since an opportunity arose that allowed me to think of the past. Every day seems to get harder. I remember my brother saying that we shouldn’t leave the city; that all we had to do was wait it out. Let all the carrion eaters finish their feast and after they were done we’d have a city to ourselves. He was right but I still can’t sleep properly at night. All that screaming…gunfire…the sounds of fire cleaning up what people had done. I wish those fires had taken the city; maybe then it’d have been over except I know the truth. Flames don’t always kill them, all you get is a messed up corpse still clawing its way after you except now you’re starving and they smell like a piece of meat on the barbeque. I don’t care what they say, it’s wrong to look at a kid; jaw and check blackened, cracked but you can still see that she had blonde hair, looking like she’s reaching out for help, barely anything left on that hand, the forearm so badly burnt you can see the bone underneath in places and the only thing you can think of is how good she’d taste. My brother was also wrong. This city isn’t only ours, it’s still filled with people. Yesterday I saw one of those corpses walking down the street. He had a shirt that read “World’s best dad”, in his right hand was a small little hand holding his. For a moment I was happy, even if they’re dead they are together but when he came into full view past the overturned truck I saw there was no one there. Let’s just say after I was done I was back to starving. We had thought that after a while they’d simply venture outside the city. I mean why stick around in a place where the food has run out. It took us a while to figure out that their own sounds rebounding off the buildings was turning them in circles. They were following each other. That night Greg took his life, stepped off of the 6th floor. Guy is the unluckiest son of a bitch I know cause the fall didn’t kill him but he did clear the streets for us. The one thing I do miss is my brother. The guy was an ass but he always had a plan. I didn’t like how many good people we killed but it meant we were never hungry. It’s like he was built for this sort of world, getting on with what needed to be done in order to keep on keeping on. His death is on my hands but I couldn’t sleep anymore. All those people and what we had done. When it was time to spring the trap I couldn’t, not anymore. In the struggle that followed I pushed him off of me straight off the bridge and that was that. Now it’s us, those people we were meant to kill and a few more. Last thing he said was, “You think you have what it takes to survive here? Ungrateful shit, you’ll die without me” and I know he was right. That we aren’t ever making it out of this place.

It's actually inspired from Bearsan's post called Dear Diary. Sadly rape is something that is all to common in our normal world, if societies laws had to fall I'm pretty sure it'd be far more commonplace, also it's a theme that's used in many an apocalyptic scenario possibly because no matter how bad or good things are some human always manage to make it worse. Lastly I don't like to shy away from the things that are hard to bear, topics like that are very difficult but if we ignore them then how much better are we than the rapists of the world.

• 4 weeks later...

It's actually inspired from Bearsan's post called Dear Diary. Sadly rape is something that is all to common in our normal world, if societies laws had to fall I'm pretty sure it'd be far more commonplace, also it's a theme that's used in many an apocalyptic scenario possibly because no matter how bad or good things are some human always manage to make it worse. Lastly I don't like to shy away from the things that are hard to bear, topics like that are very difficult but if we ignore them then how much better are we than the rapists of the world.

Actually pretty brave and philosophical, I second you.

Here's mine:

The blast echoed out, followed by a cowboy like " YEHAW" as another... Thing... Hit the floor. Off to one side a dark skinned man took a deep drink from his glass and watched. He was always watching, always waiting. These drunks had been enjoying the apocalypse, even going so far as to take photos using disposable cameras of them messing around over the corpses. He had been smarter. He dropped the can, the noise drowned out by the next volley of swearing and shooting, before jumping onto another roof. Then he stopped, Christ. He had thought... But no, he was safe, unlike the fools down there.

Slowly they shambled along, until the rag-tag group had been completley surrounded, without their knowledge. He watched, as one by one the horde brought them down and ripped them apart. He stopped at the massacre looked around and fired his crossbow.

Drip

Drip

Drip

Said the blood and beer.

• 1 month later...

Archived