Broken Weapons

Strider

The Inspiration

I've just recently started with TWD season 4 and something just occurred. There are several recurring themes within the TV show but one of them is improvised weapons.

I'm not suggesting that a broken lampshade could be used as a weapon (although technically it could) because putting that in game would be pretty difficult for reasons I don't want to go into as I'd be here all day.

The Suggestion

My suggestion is, why not make broken weapon parts become improvised weapons?

Examples

A broken baseball bat could splinter and the splintered shaft could be used as a primitive knife. It'd probably only have a few uses but in a tight spot it'd be really useful.

The club could break off of a golf club leaving a spike.

The Implementation

When the weapon breaks a 'dice roll' (old skool here) could be made to determine if the weapon breaks into anything that could be useful. If we assume that the dice roll is positive then the weapon would be determined, placed into the characters inventory. If the character has enough skill in knife they might recognise the weapon and automatically equip it. The player would need to be advised of this in an subtle but clear way so they know what they've just done else it could really screw with a players game.

This would give the dev's the license to break weapons more often. I'd like this because it should hopefully cause players to be less cavalier. "I haz killed 4000 zombles, i r 1337!!11!"  etc

The Drawbacks 

An improvised weapon might not be used as part of a repair.

It'd only be good for 1 or 2 uses, perhaps. 

Final Note

As ever, these are my opinions. I'm just a fan like you so if you don't like my ideas then discuss reasonably why you think so, or don't bother at all.

I for one would love to be able to take more things apart in the game.

IE: Take apart a chair get several legs a seat and a back. The legs could be used as a club type weapon. The rest could be used for other things.

I suppose that is already what happens to weapons but you just dont see it as it isnt described or shown.

If you ever played Dead Island, you would see the effect!

I don't think this would add much value to the game immersion though.