Spray Paint Mod v2.41a

Thuztor

If you don't mind me asking what was the issue with placing the tags? followed it as far as creating the new tag object & that's about where it started to misbehave.... almost as if the new tag object wasn't initializing, the :render() :create() methods weren't being called....

Yeah me too, that's why I got rid of those and made the first version with the listed bug. But I found they do work as intended : I had calls between isValid() and render() so it was "working". We just had nothing to render I think;

So if I remember correctly I changed almost nothing :

- reorganized folders & files

- I modified the spraypaint.txt (items) which had a method in it as well as a trigger (now removed) :o

- renamed all textures with prefix Item_tz_ and changed the corresponding sprite names in code (some were wrong in my opinion - sometimes you need the full name, sometimes not).

- the garrage_storage in item distribution, as always :P

That's pretty much all I can recall.

PS: oops forgot to disable debug :D new version uploaded, same link

PS2 : this forum needs a sticky with requests for updated mods (for the last version of the game). Once one is done (with permission), its link would be in the OP. That way great mods would survive time.

I have 20 mods or so, some that I had to modify more than others and I'm sure a lot of people are doing the same (such a waste of time, unless it's for fun :P).

I'm currently working on the wooden dowels mod :)

I fixed a couple bugs and added a key binding thing to make it easier to use

First bug was where you entered the spray mode, but could drop or unequip the spraycan and continue spraying.

Second was with loading sprays, if a tag existed in an initially unloaded square then the load would fail, the tag would show but they wouldn't be the correct color (all white.)

Diff for these 2

I also added key bindings to more easily spray (keys.lua.) There's no color selection it just grabs the first non-empty can from your inventory. You can change bindings in the main options screen. To delete a bind you'll have to edit Zomboid/lua/keys.ini in your user dir and change the number part on the right of whatever option to 0.

Default binds are T for the 'Looted' checkmark, Y for the not safe exclamation mark, and the numpad for the 8 directional arrows.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14971925/spraypaint.zip

I found a very newb friendly solution. I'm a newb so that's how I know lol excuse me if I did exactly what was recommended throughout as I might as well have been reading foreign language. You guys are above my level here lol
In the ... Users/yourname/zomboid/mods folder, my unzipper just dumped all the files into /mods. All I did was take the mod.info, the poster png, and the loaded files and stick them in the spraypaint folder. Then I named the spraypaint folder verbatim with the tag in the mod.info file "spraypaint". I don't know which of these things did it, but the mod appears in the mod loader now and I'm about to see how much paint I can find. Anyone that doesn't have Notepad++ get it, I just did and it's pretty damn cool. Here's to my first successful mod attempt!

One issue i have with this mod, is that you cannot have the lockpicking mod on at the same time. it's either one or the other. having both mods on cancels out the ability to lockpick and break door locks with a crowbar. not sure if this has to do with coding in the spraypaint mod, but the actions for lockpicking or breaking the lock doesn't appear up in the actions

I have it too.. I think everything works in it, except drawing the spraypaint on the map tiles. I think somebody fixed it by editing the items.txt file and putting an absolute path to the icon files.

I tried this, but that doesn't work, either :-(

I have this problem with _all_ mods containing icons, from CraftHelper over Food Canning and Lockpicking to SprayPaint.

I believe that it worked on an earlier version of PZ, though, so probably something in the Icon Loading changed.

me too. When I try to spraypaint somewhere, the character just walks over there, and while the green progressbar appears and completes, no spraypaint is rendered on the ground. I tried loading in a mod I was working on (which worked in .10), but now it works just as bad as the spray paint mod :/

duh. I'm totally missing your point. I'm talking about tile textures while you're talking about the icons associated with the items.

me too. When I try to spraypaint somewhere, the character just walks over there, and while the green progressbar appears and completes, no spraypaint is rendered on the ground. I tried loading in a mod I was working on (which worked in .10), but now it works just as bad as the spray paint mod :/

duh. I'm totally missing your point. I'm talking about tile textures while you're talking about the icons associated with the items.

I have fixed the problem in the meantime.

I copied all Item_*png files to the root of the mod (Zomboid/mods/SprayPaint) and, removed the path from the Icon = attributes (including Item_) and checked that the getTexture() calls have only the full filename including Item_ as parameter. That worked for me.

The thing is, the existing Spraycans will keep their ? icon in savegames, but sprayed icons appear.

• 2 weeks later...

@Thuztor,

hey bud,

not sure if its my game, an update in PZ, or an update in the spray paint mod,,,,

theres issues when i try to paint on the floor

when i load my game and use the spray can its fine, but once i've re-equiped my axe and move onto my next paint target

and try to paint it refuses to (showing the red marker "un-useable marker" instead of the "white useable marker"

if i close my game and reopen the game it goes back to working fine.... untill i reequip my weapon

>side note<

not sure if it does the same thing with single handed weapons, as i currently am using the axe, but will try it again and update the forum

is anyone else having the same problem ? / does anyone know of a fix to this ?
also ill try removing the mod and readding it see if that does anything

• 3 weeks later...

I know it can be a slippery slope when you start incorporating community mods, but of all the mods out there this one most deserves inclusion into the main game. Thematic, useful, and simple. Great job.

I believe nearly all of these mods need to be in the game sooner or later.. drip integration system mod is great and totally realistic aswell. This mod & the dried fruit & the canning mod.. All of these deserve to be implemented.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Thuztor changed the title to Spray Paint Mod v2.41a