Zombie migration

Suede

Has there been any news on when Zombie migration will be back in the game? What was the deal with taking it out of the game anyway?

After a long time of building up safe houses in the hopes of defending it from wandering hordes, I learn that the Zombie migration mechanic ain't even in the game. It was a bit disappointing to find out to be honest. 

Looking at the updates and fixes, it's looking like they're focusing more on MP than SP at the moment. So can we expect a long wait like the NPCs while they focus on MP? If so, I don't mind coming back in a few months to a year when it's done. It's just not a very fun SP game at the moment for me, and I'm just not a MP type of guy.

They don't give release estimates.  I agree that without migration the game is too predictable and thus too easy.  Try out some of the sandbox settings to change things or take a break and wait for NPCs and/or migration like me.

Just FYI, zombie migration has the same impact on both SP and MP. I am sure the devs are aware of how sorely this is needed to keep the game exciting. It would just be quite monumental to implement if you think about it. The migration system would have to compensate for player-built walls in any position to stop hordes from warping into walled-off areas. The algorithm you'd have to engineer to overcome this problem would be no trivial feat. I do agree with you, I just think patience is necessary in this particular case. It'll get there (fedora)

Ehh . . . metagame event happens, you can watch them try and follow it, so I wouldn't call it entirely removed. It's just been stripped of some function since we had a massive amount of complaints about zombies "spawning" and looking visually unappealing when doing so in formation.

But yes, unless you're playing on Insane, it's perfectly possible to clean a wide area of zombies that will rarely ever fill up again (unless there's some zombies in close proximity when a metagame event goes off).

It's likely one of those things that'll have to be constantly tweaked as the game is worked on.

Ehh . . . metagame event happens, you can watch them try and follow it, so I wouldn't call it entirely removed. It's just been stripped of some function since we had a massive amount of complaints about zombies "spawning" and looking visually unappealing when doing so in formation.

But yes, unless you're playing on Insane, it's perfectly possible to clean a wide area of zombies that will rarely ever fill up again (unless there's some zombies in close proximity when a metagame event goes off).

It's likely one of those things that'll have to be constantly tweaked as the game is worked on.

I do play on insane. That's when I realized something was wrong, so I searched and found out there was no Migration on the forums. Meta events have never sent a horde my way before. Just a few stragglers now and again.

I bought the game in the hopes of building and defending my safe houses, with the occasional supply run to the stores. Hell,I was kinda hoping for situations like: Going to sleep in your safe house, waking up to moans, open your curtains and see a shitload of wandering zombies passing. They see you, you grab the shotty near your bed and go to work. That's my kind of fun.

But I get it. It's not in this build yet. I'll take Invader Jim's advice and come back after a while. It's no big deal to me.

I always get metagame events, I've only ever seen one zombie move

I do play on insane. That's when I realized something was wrong, so I searched and found out there was no Migration on the forums. Meta events have never sent a horde my way before. Just a few stragglers now and again.

I bought the game in the hopes of building and defending my safe houses, with the occasional supply run to the stores. Hell,I was kinda hoping for situations like: Going to sleep in your safe house, waking up to moans, open your curtains and see a shitload of wandering zombies passing. They see you, you grab the shotty near your bed and go to work. That's my kind of fun.

But I get it. It's not in this build yet. I'll take Invader Jim's advice and come back after a while. It's no big deal to me.

They can't have a horde migration system now because everything is streamlined now as opposed to everything being loaded in the small old map.

Meaning only the zombies around your character technically exist in the game world.

Once the metagame is added zombies from outside your area can wonder in.

Once that is added NPC's can be added because they will be able to do things on the other side of the map, despite the new streamlining system.

They did this because this new huge map is too big to load everything at once, including zombies, and NPCs and their AI

They can't have a horde migration system now because everything is streamlined now as opposed to everything being loaded in the small old map.

Meaning only the zombies around your character technically exist in the game world.

Once the metagame is added zombies from outside your area can wonder in.

The metagame zombie groups and their migrations and other related stuff are in the engine already and have been for quite a while. They've just been tuned down for now because of there not being a clear way for the game to signal to the player why all these zombies were suddenly turning up in their neighbourhood.

I think that migration will definitely be coming after the NPCs. NPCs probably be won't as smart as players and will make more noise drawing hordes around the map. So in some sense their will be migration to a certain point as soon as NPCs are implemented. Make the meta-game eventually drive NPCs into more densely infested areas to survive. Also tweak the zombie AI to make zombies proceed in last visual or noise constantly and you've got yourself some nice zombie migration. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think that migration will definitely be coming after the NPCs. NPCs probably be won't as smart as players and will make more noise drawing hordes around the map. So in some sense their will be migration to a certain point as soon as NPCs are implemented. Make the meta-game eventually drive NPCs into more densely infested areas to survive. Also tweak the zombie AI to make zombies proceed in last visual or noise constantly and you've got yourself some nice zombie migration. 

I hope not because while NPCs might add alot to the game, without migration the end game is pretty much non-existent at this point for single player. Just clear out your neighborhood, make a farm, walla. Recently I decided not to even build a fence around my house cause it's definitely not needed.

I hope not because while NPCs might add alot to the game, without migration the end game is pretty much non-existent at this point for single player. Just clear out your neighborhood, make a farm, walla. Recently I decided not to even build a fence around my house cause it's definitely not needed.

Do you mean, "voila"? (walla sounds like something an Australian bloke might say)

It's one of those commonly mistaken terms like "Diamond Dozen" (~ Dime a Dozen) but they bug the heck out of me.

It's like the younger generation are using terms they heard their parents use, but have no real idea what they mean, or how they came about.

If you want zombies to migrate you just have to dance the Thriller, but all joking aside advanced migration features will be added soon as the game becomes more of a "Unless I fall off a roof I'll be fine" simulator.

That being said migration will effect survivor NPCs as well so I can see it being fleshed out in the next few months being a key component of the game.

I actually think migration will arrive some-ways before NPC's, for the simple reason (In my mind at least) that NPC's must mirror player behaviour concerning zombie migration and for that behaviour to be established the designers would have to observe player tactics and strategies regarding it.

could this be done with a mod? I mean not specifically the migration, but maybe to respawn a lot (or even all) Z's near you/on the map.

It would be a nice workaround until they handle it in the upcoming updates.

I love this game (3 days in) and I restarted a lot of sandbox games because there was too much loot and too few zombies for me, and I had the same "problem" after a few ingame days, even with lower loot spawns and high zombie population. No need to barricade if you wiped out your whole neighbourhood :(

We need zombie migration, we need zombies to attack player's safehouse more aggressively. It's far too easy now and there's no point really to add hunting/etc as farming gets you well equipped for long survival.