Working Cars should be a RARE Commodity

Eblanc

Also the topic of this thread is "Vehicles should be a RARE commodity" which I think you both have approved of the idea.

Pretty sure the topic title is "Working Cars should be a RARE Commodity."  I agree that working vehicles should be rare but I don't think vehicles themselves should be.  This thread is full of ideas on how to create challenge and scarcity even while having lots of cars on the server.  Any performance issues they create are going to be minimal and only cause real problems if your computer already can't handle the game - which sounds like it's the case: 

Edit: Are you sure on the Ram>? I have 2 GB's Close all processes (Even explorer) run the game at minimal settings and low Res, and I still stutter a bit, MP seems to be where i find most problems, unexpected stuttering, and freezing, Disconnected sometimes glitch deaths.

Sorry, the topic was "Vehicles should be a RARE commodity" but someone mentioned I should change it to make it more specific, so I changed the title to "Working Cars should be a RARE commodity" I'll just change that now. 

My computer isn't the best, it's runs ok on SP, but on MP it seems myself and most other players I've asked have a lot more problems. I honestly don't know for a fact what the problem is, but I have been told that is the meta events. I also have some other theories, but I don't think I should write them down.

Unless someone whose name was red, blue, or green told you that, you probably shouldn't listen to them (unless it's Haraka or a select few other members). In general, though, unless it's me, Enigma, or a dev they probably don't know what they're talking about.

I myself would never be able to hotwire a car even if I had a manual telling me how to for a specific car.

I do know a couple people who can but thats because they grew up fixing cars and stuff. However the amount of people who would know how to do this are really limited. So I could see this being set up as a chance to find a vehicle with keys or a tool for multiplayer servers admins to allow faster transportation.

Could always be a class specific addition for hotwiring vehicles or repairing vehicles. But than again I don't really see a reason for this to be required as I would rather use any fuel I could find/gather for running a backup generator somewhere. (Syphoning fuel from cars/gas stations would be nice.)

Unless someone whose name was red, blue, or green told you that, you probably shouldn't listen to them (unless it's Haraka or a select few other members). In general, though, unless it's me, Enigma, or a dev they probably don't know what they're talking about.

It's someone who runs a server, and has experimenting with modding. I've never checked for color status.

Is that information wrong?

In a word: yes. As far as I can tell (and Enigma and I handle farrrrrr more reports of tech issues and performance issues than anyone else, including the devs) meta events don't effect performance in any way. If it is causing a problem that someone can prove, they should open a bug report about it so we can figure out what's going on and fix it.

Let's just add another occupation like car thief (or something similar, car mechanic?) with the trait hot wiring (or something similar), which allows certain cars (maybe 10% of the cars) to be driven without keys.  (clyde)

Then everybody's happy, yay!  :)

How on earth do you think cars get stolen?  (Granted this is done under the hood).

Irrelevant. Not that many cars actually get stolen, and of those the vast majority are stolen because the people stealing it found the keys.

And it adds a hell of a lot more to gameplay than having no way of using the cars

Utterly irrelevant, there's already going to be a way to use cars. Using more just inundates the world with more, making what should be (later in the game, at least) a rare resource more common arbitrarily.

it allows a buildup of a new skill, a useful new profession perhaps

Adding things for the sake of adding things is not a reason to add them. You could add a T-Rex with laser machine guns on it's back. That's a whole new enemy, wow!

more uses for tools, a use and reason for having a cordless frill [sic]

There's already plenty of good uses for tools, and plenty more plausible ones they could add in the mean time.

another reason to use batteries or a charger with a generator (when implemented)

There's already a ton of important uses for a generator and a battery that just haven't gotten implemented yet. There's literally no reason to add another- they'd be tremendously important without this.

also when failing the starter can get stuck and burn out, this can attract zombies, and on certain cars it would activate an alarm creating a panic situation attracting zombies.

This could already just happen when trying to open car doors or accidentally hitting them with a weapon or bumping them while fighting. Again, no gameplay value added.

Say whatever you want but it is possible and it is a skill, whether you like it or not.

Say whatever you want, but I'm right because I said so in this sentence here! (Ya, that's pretty much the only counter for that kind of logic. Sorry)

All this without mentioning once again that in a small town like Muldraugh, there are no car thieves and thus the probability is high no one would know how to do this. It's okay, though, people have seen it on TV and that's a totally accurate portrayal so I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Okay so you say it adds nothing to gameplay and then I reply saying what it would add and suddenly it is "Utterly Irrelevant"? I give more scenarios that ARE GAMEPLAY and that is "No gameplay value added"? And your arguement is that you are right and everything I say is irrelevant? Also the game includes Westpoint, Muldraugh, and is near Louisville (population 260 000 +-) and a military base that includes massive motor pools?

With TRIAL and ERROR I have seen a teenager hotwiring a car without any prior knowledge nor the use of the internet. If this is not what a skill is then please do enlighten me as to what a skill is. Since I am obviously mislead by reality.

Same goes for breaking the ignition open and manually turning the car on (Which literally any idiot can do and get better at). You are most certainly wrong when it comes to what is and is not a skill.

Suomiboi makes good points and I agree with him.

Pardon me if I stop replying now because it seems you (Rathlord) are willfully trying to aggravate me using logical fallacies like comparing a gameplay aspect (You yourself asked me to explain) with a ridiculous T-rex with lasers is the very definition of a straw man. Which I find unlovely. Dare I say it if I acted as you do when it comes to debate I would have gotten banned.

Pardon me if I stop replying now because it seems you (Rathlord) are willfully trying to aggravate me using logical fallacies like comparing a gameplay aspect (You yourself asked me to explain) with a ridiculous T-rex with lasers is the very definition of a straw man.

Don't have time to respond to all of this right now. Making a comparison is not a straw man, and you shouldn't use terms you don't understand. A straw man would be if I had said "Viceroy, stop asking for a T-Rex with lasers be put in the game!" Don't talk about logical fallacies when you don't understand the terms. The comparison was to prove that your assertion that "adding something to the game is adding something to the game" is not a relevant argument.